anyone grow there own fruit/vegg/herbs??

We started a small garden at my parents' house last summer. Vegetables don't seem to grow as well, but they're not farmers. They have some okra, tomatoes, and peppers growing, but that's all. Nothing too big.
They've had fruit trees for a while though. Lychee, mango, chickoo, sugar apple, etc. trees.

I'd love to have a mini farm growing or something like that one day.

We started a small garden at my parents' house last summer. Vegetables don't seem to grow as well, but they're not farmers. They have some okra, tomatoes, and peppers growing, but that's all. Nothing too big.
They've had fruit trees for a while though. Lychee, mango, chickoo, sugar apple, etc. trees.

I'd love to have a mini farm growing or something like that one day.

i was thinking of starting off with some basic herbs like basil/parsly/cilantro etc
and figure out how to grow the fruits and vegg the best ways possible

the reason i wanna go organic is because we make our own baby food for my daughter so i figured our best bet was to grow it ourselves and cut out as many outside hands as possible

i have the perfect grow room space thats basicly a sneaker closet as of now but were working on gutting it

i was thinking of starting off with some basic herbs like basil/parsly/cilantro etc
and figure out how to grow the fruits and vegg the best ways possible

the reason i wanna go organic is because we make our own baby food for my daughter so i figured our best bet was to grow it ourselves and cut out as many outside hands as possible

i have the perfect grow room space thats basicly a sneaker closet as of now but were working on gutting it

op if you need help growing "herb" and you want to go organic while not making your own earthworm castings, compost, and AACT...I say go get some FoxFarm soil, a smart pot, and maybe some Flora Bloom and grow nutrients.

Since your doing an indoor grow you have to pay attention to the basics: Light (how much light the plant is getting each day), Water (nutrients, ph), Air, your medium.

op if you need help growing "herb" and you want to go organic while not making your own earthworm castings, compost, and AACT...I say go get some FoxFarm soil, a smart pot, and maybe some Flora Bloom and grow nutrients.

Since your doing an indoor grow you have to pay attention to the basics: Light (how much light the plant is getting each day), Water (nutrients, ph), Air, your medium.

I wish I could help you on an indoor front. I tend to do everything outside.I do have starter plants that begin about 6-8 weeks before the last frost date that begin indoors. Those have some UVB lighting and heating pads.. They appear to do great. Keeping them indoors is tricky though.

I just looked up tomato growing indoors. The biggest key appears to be lighting, feeding, and forced pollination (since bees won't be around)..
http://www.jasons-indoor-...ow-to-grow-tomatoes.html

Not everything is like that though. Your herbs and spices may be just fine. It may be as simple as window ceil, pot, dirt, and your cilantro. And maybe some nights under a heavy duty light.  Other vegetables that spread like watermelon, cantalope, even peas, is out of the question for indoors imo.

I wish I could help you on an indoor front. I tend to do everything outside.I do have starter plants that begin about 6-8 weeks before the last frost date that begin indoors. Those have some UVB lighting and heating pads.. They appear to do great. Keeping them indoors is tricky though.

I just looked up tomato growing indoors. The biggest key appears to be lighting, feeding, and forced pollination (since bees won't be around)..
http://www.jasons-indoor-...ow-to-grow-tomatoes.html

Not everything is like that though. Your herbs and spices may be just fine. It may be as simple as window ceil, pot, dirt, and your cilantro. And maybe some nights under a heavy duty light.  Other vegetables that spread like watermelon, cantalope, even peas, is out of the question for indoors imo.

Actually I just read your post, and if your really trying to grow cilantro and parsley and want to go organic I would suggest using FoxFarm happy frog potting soil or Pro-mix organic. You actually don't really need a soil based medium but since your new to this I say go for a soil-type mix.

Also try to make sure that the soil you buy contains perlite or vermiculate which helps with drainage and aeration of the roots. If not you may have to buy a bag of perlite which is very cheap.

Remember its better to under water than it is to overwater...as for plant food it really depends on how "organic" you want to go. Do some research into organic nutrients for your plants but if you use a good soil like foxfarm then you really don't need to buy nutrients/plant food.

If you have any other questions just pm me.

Actually I just read your post, and if your really trying to grow cilantro and parsley and want to go organic I would suggest using FoxFarm happy frog potting soil or Pro-mix organic. You actually don't really need a soil based medium but since your new to this I say go for a soil-type mix.

Also try to make sure that the soil you buy contains perlite or vermiculate which helps with drainage and aeration of the roots. If not you may have to buy a bag of perlite which is very cheap.

Remember its better to under water than it is to overwater...as for plant food it really depends on how "organic" you want to go. Do some research into organic nutrients for your plants but if you use a good soil like foxfarm then you really don't need to buy nutrients/plant food.

If you have any other questions just pm me.

Originally Posted by kingjamesvehs

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

An avocado pit? Those things get huge lol.

im using a huge walk in closet soo space isnt too much of a concern
Dude avocado trees are massive, they grow to be taller that houses. A walk-in closet isn't going to hold it forever 

An avocado pit? Those things get huge lol.

im using a huge walk in closet soo space isnt too much of a concern
Dude avocado trees are massive, they grow to be taller that houses. A walk-in closet isn't going to hold it forever 

in my backyard the current line-up,
2 Avocado trees
Tangerine tree
2 Guava trees
Lemon tree
Habanero bush (plus two other types of chili bushes)
Peach tree
and two other trees that i cant remember what grows from them.

in my backyard the current line-up,
2 Avocado trees
Tangerine tree
2 Guava trees
Lemon tree
Habanero bush (plus two other types of chili bushes)
Peach tree
and two other trees that i cant remember what grows from them.

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

The avocado pit will not survive in a closet anyway.  Ridiculous thought to have.  Don't even bother unless you grow it in your back garden.
All the plants you want to grown indoors still need sun light and air and nutrients like water.  Trying to grow them in a dingy closet with no air and no natural light will result in pots of dirt.

In saying that it's very easy to grow herbs like basil and rosemary indoors, you can put them in a pot plant and leave on a window sill and they will grow perfectly.

It is possible to grow tomatoes and strawberries indoors (hanging planter method) but they do need sun light.

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

The avocado pit will not survive in a closet anyway.  Ridiculous thought to have.  Don't even bother unless you grow it in your back garden.
All the plants you want to grown indoors still need sun light and air and nutrients like water.  Trying to grow them in a dingy closet with no air and no natural light will result in pots of dirt.

In saying that it's very easy to grow herbs like basil and rosemary indoors, you can put them in a pot plant and leave on a window sill and they will grow perfectly.

It is possible to grow tomatoes and strawberries indoors (hanging planter method) but they do need sun light.

Ive wanted to for a long time now. Please post pictures when after you get it started.

so far i only have an avocado pit germinating
laugh.gif

im aiming high
wink.gif

I bet you are

my backyard:
avocado tree
papaya tree
guava tree
basil
tomatoes (grape)
mountain apple tree