anyone have a fish tank (aquarium)?

how tedious is the cleaning process and how much energy does it use?

really wanna get one but I work long hours and wanna see if its something I can maintain

pics of your setup would be cool

*raises hand*,I have two tank's at the moment,a ten gal tank with a male beta,mystery/apple snail and three loaches and a 40gal tank with a big red devil cichlid named Suge.
If you don't have time,don't do it because you need to pay attention to the fish, for entertaining them and for to see how they act because that is usually the first sign when something is wrong.Besides it can get costly.

Weekly water changes ,cleaning the inside and outside of the tank.Every couple of months filter changes,decoration cleaning,it's not that hard once you learn what to do and what not to do.Learning will result in casualties but you learn

It really depends on what you want. It can go from cheap and easy (standard freshwater) to expensive, complicated, and time consuming.
If it's your first tank, I'd probably start out with freshwater, african cichlids are super cool fish, relatively low maintenance.
If you already know you want saltwater, it's much more work but you can do your research (lots!) and can start with fish only and if you want work your way up to a reef.
I've kept saltwater fish for a long time, and now I have an elaborate system to aquaculture SPS corals.
If saltwater is the route you go, feel free to pm

I have a large tank, if you buy a half decent filter you will only have to clean it every 2 weeks or even once a month depending on how many fish are in there. It really doesn't take a long time, and they're a great piece to decorating your home.

I had a reef setup and I miss it. I started with a 15g to 20g and when I started getting the hang of it, I got a 60 and eventually to a 110g. I regret not taking pictures as saltwater tanks are beautiful. Seems to take the stress about of me after a long day. Maintaining a saltwater tank was not easy though. Depending if its a fish only tank or coral and fishes, proper lightings, supplements, and a good filter system setup is needed and must be maintained often. I plan on starting a 30 reef sometime this year. When I do, I'll keep y'all posted

my cousin has a tank that's dope but it's a pricey hobby. wouldn't mind getting into though when i get my own place.

my cousin has a tank that's dope but it's a pricey hobby. wouldn't mind getting into though when i get my own place.

It is pricey if you buy everything from a pet store, the trick is to get the tank,stand, lights,filters,heaters and sometimes even the fish from craigs list.
lots of people have aquariums in there basement or garage they just want to get rid of.

Whats the average maintence cost of saltwater fishtanks?

35 gallon if that matters

haven't had fish for years but fish are high maintenance and expensive especially saltwater, but if you want fish go for it, i'm thinking of getting a piranha or two, maybe a big puffy fish

Last edited:
Whats the average maintence cost of saltwater fishtanks?

35 gallon if that matters

It depends on how your setup is going to be. Fish only shouldn't be that much other than water changes so you're looking at just buying reef salt and some RO/DI water. But if you're looking in to adding some corals, then you might want to invest in some good metal halides, a sump filter, good water flow means good powerheads, not to mention the frequent water change and supplements or equipment that will balance the water levels (calcium reactor, protein skimmer, water heater, chiller). It's crazy how there are so much to consider with reef tanks vs fish only tanks

Last edited:
I have a small 40g with 3 angelfish. No pics but they are definitely one of the more interesting freshwater fish to keep. As others have said, maintenance is key. Water changes and making sure the tank is clean will go a long way.

I'm kinda glad I moved and got rid of my old saltwater set up. This is a really fun and rewarding hobby but A LOT of work. And if you thought buying rare sneakers was expensive then try buying some of these fish/coral
mean.gif
This. But I'm still thinking about a small setup
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I had a 10 gallon nano in my last semester of college. No pics of it because they were all on my old phone. It was a cube and it completely covered the top of my bedstand. It was really cool to wake up and see saltwater fish and coral just chillin by your head. My GF loved it and so did everyone that saw it. I had two black clown fish and a little purple lobster. Then a ghost coral, a frogspawn coral, a purple bubble coral, some other smaller corals too (zoas). It went bad though when I left for winter vacation. I went to Hong Kong for two weeks and had a friend take care of it. I came back and my bubble coral was dead then I swear something was just off and everything started dying. It can be really stressful if things start to go bad
The same happened to my 60g. I went camping for 3 days during a hot summer and my sister forgot to setup the chiller. When I got home, 20% of the water had evaporated and every thing was just floating
mean.gif

My sisters boyfriend has a 187 gallon all SPS coral and Wrasse fish it's ridiculous. He's the one that got me into the hobby. He must have spent over $20,000 by now.
I'm not gonna lie, when I tried to setup my 110g, I couldn't really keep up with the cost for maintenance. 2 years later, I just said **** it .

I always thought fish was the craziest pets after you realize how much work there is to it. I remember going to Petsmart and someone getting mad at me for wanting some exotic fish but not doing the research in maintaining it. I always thought you just dump them in a tank and you are done. So he sold me on getting guppies and I figured they'd be easy to keep and practically all of them died within the month.

Back
Top Bottom