Anyone live in Portland? Is it a good city? VOL: Any jobs?

I'm moving up the Beaverton this weekend to start a new job, so apparently there are some jobs in the area.  Actually about 70% of the 40 some jobs I applied to were in the Portland area.  I hate cities though so this should be interesting.  I'd rather live and work out in the middle of nowhere 
frown.gif

gonna be headin down there from Seattle next month, going to school down there should be interesting. will stay tuned to this thread.

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

Originally Posted by Noskey

I live here. Yes it's a good city, no there are no jobs. The population's been rising real fast. There are lots of hipsters, but they tend to stay in southeast and on college campuses. Nightlife is alright, I mean we aren't Seattle or San Francisco, but the bars here are good. Things are cheaper than any of the other major west coast cities, but its still expensive.
And yes, it's very white. We do have lots of Asians too.

Were u born and raised? Would you say your residence there have allowed you to know the city inside and out? Should I PM you?

I knwo portland is kinda divided by quadrants along the river.  The closer to the river, the more espensive, like pearl and all.  I read about the job thing.

I've lived 10 minutes south since I was 8. But I know SW, and parts of NW and SE inside/out. Havent spent too much time in NE.

I wouldn't say it's more expensive the closer you are to the river, there are the West Hills which are southwest of downtown up in the hills (of course), which are the million+ dollar properties and all that. As far as downtown goes, the Pearl is the most expensive. It's not quite along the river, it's next to Chinatown, which is where the homeless and addicts stay. As for right next to the river, the South Waterfront is what you're looking for. That's the new highrise area that was built over the last few years, and it's very expensive.

Southeast area is huge though, and there's plenty of different Asian communities spread throughout if that's what you're looking for; Thai, Korean, Japanese, etc. Great food out there, too. The closer you get to NE though, the more hipsters you'll see.

The MAX trains make commuting really easy, only downside is that the 'free zone' is going away (it's only in downtown), and on Friday's it's PACKED. Like, 'chest to chest trying to not mash faces' packed most of the day.

Originally Posted by shogun

Originally Posted by airblaster503

And plus we have the highest number of strip clubs per capita in the US, and it is fully nude with alcohol, if that's your thing.

The best part about it though is the outdoors. You are about an hour from the mountains and a hour and a half to the coast. If you enjoy outdoor sports, hiking, or just enjoying some amazing sights Portland is a great place to live.
Interesting.  I love fully nude stripclubs and hiking.  Didn't know Portland had so many stripclubs.
Most micro-breweries per capita too, if I'm not mistaken. Strippers, beer, sports and the outdoors is what we love out here
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Where's CP to make sense of this?
he lives out in the sticks... waaaayyy deep from portland.. i was born and raised in portland... lived in north and se portland, mainly SE though... moved to vancouver and started a family.. portland schools suck ( now )...

Well, I'm planning to go visit there in winter and wanted to know how it is, and where to book a hotel? I want something centralized. I figured, there might actually be snow there? I would probably have to drive still right?

But I'm actually more of a close to china/asian town - cook your own type thing, as opposed to eating out constantly. Good food is good food, but when you actually live there, it's another thing in itself, so I'm looking at that aspect. I would enjoy going to the market to buy groceries and do my own. I would enjoy that.

I'm still doing research, but planning for a trip. I would like to watch the trailblazers too, but not sure how things are there.

- - -

Thanks for the posts. I'll continue to digest them, and post questions. If it were my first trip and I wanted to book somewhere close to a dense location like chinatown and inner city, is this possible? Or is portland really not that type of city? I keep hearing how its like Seattle, and if so, I guess it won't give me that NYC feel. -.-

parents live in Portland (on vacation there now). I love it. Place is really chill, weather is fine with me, city is pretty clean, transit is one of the top ranked system in country.

I enjoy it quite a bit here.

Well, I'm planning to go visit there in winter and wanted to know how it is, and where to book a hotel? I want something centralized. I figured, there might actually be snow there? I would probably have to drive still right?

But I'm actually more of a close to china/asian town - cook your own type thing, as opposed to eating out constantly. Good food is good food, but when you actually live there, it's another thing in itself, so I'm looking at that aspect. I would enjoy going to the market to buy groceries and do my own. I would enjoy that.

I'm still doing research, but planning for a trip. I would like to watch the trailblazers too, but not sure how things are there.

- - -

Thanks for the posts. I'll continue to digest them, and post questions. If it were my first trip and I wanted to book somewhere close to a dense location like chinatown and inner city, is this possible? Or is portland really not that type of city? I keep hearing how its like Seattle, and if so, I guess it won't give me that NYC feel. -.-
lots of asian places to eat in S.E... stay at a hotel in downtown,  go to fubon and buy whatever you need to cook.. aint no way you gonna get a NYC feel..

Hotel Monaco or The Nines were both great when I went; make sure you hit up that Pine State Biscuits too bruh 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by d e beatup

Hotel Monaco or The Nines were both great when I went; make sure you hit up that Pine State Biscuits too bruh 
pimp.gif
tasty and son's have better biscuits.... not a fan of hockey puck biscuits, i like it moist and flakey.. matter of fact, just go eat and tasty and son..

Originally Posted by Vendetta

Gotta hit Hotcake House on SE Powell too. 24 hour breakfast/steak joint
i only tried it when i was !*** faced... i used to live off of 49th and powell...  we have some good food carts downtown also...
also go to 205, spyce, rogue, dolphins 1 and 2, and casa diablo

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

Originally Posted by d e beatup

pimp.gif
tasty and son's have better biscuits.... not a fan of hockey puck biscuits, i like it moist and flakey.. matter of fact, just go eat and tasty and son..

This man knows, Tasty and Son's is great
pimp.gif

Being from Los Angeles and going to school in San Diego I felt Portland was a really sleepy town.
Downtown was really small and tiny.
I can say that the strip clubs are pretty dope.
The people are really chill, and there are a few Asians there. However, the Asians and Whites there are pretty much the same. They are far more tolerant of new ideas, and progressive even compared to my white friends in LA, and far more friendly than the white people I knew from the La Jolla/SD area.

The weather was pretty bad, and that's one of the things that I did not think would have a toll on me. I was there for a week helping a friend move up and the days were long and drawn out. Looking out and seeing gray for 12 hours at time is pretty depressing.

However, if you aren't from SoCal then you're probably use to not having sunshine 90% of the year.

of course the weather is gonna be bad compared to socal... i went to disneyland in late april, i was sweating my %+% off and i see some people wearing hoodies and @$%%..

Wait, so there aren't actually any china town, like in San Fran? LOL I keep reading how the chinatown in portland doesn't have markets, but mostly homeless and druggies? LOLZ

For living, I would like to be near an open market type of thing, kinda like close to a chinatown, but not 'exactly' near it. I like dense, but I know it won't be NYC type dense.

In terms of visiting there, I would like to watch the Trailblazers, and do the typical tourist stuff. What do you folks mean by the yellow fever being like white? Is everyone too political or something?

Wait, so there aren't actually any china town, like in San Fran? LOL I keep reading how the chinatown in portland doesn't have markets, but mostly homeless and druggies? LOLZ

For living, I would like to be near an open market type of thing, kinda like close to a chinatown, but not 'exactly' near it. I like dense, but I know it won't be NYC type dense.

In terms of visiting there, I would like to watch the Trailblazers, and do the typical tourist stuff. What do you folks mean by the yellow fever being like white? Is everyone too political or something?
well chinatown moved out of downtown (where it's now called "old town") to an area near the suburbs. the area they moved to now is renowned for high prostitution, and imo doesn't really have the "feel" of a chinatown you'd see in other states/cities.

No chinatown like nyc or sf. No tax and people pump our gas for us. No high end stores or any mom and pop shops. Nike is cool if you got connects. It is the city for outdoors stuff, but not for the nightlife. Bipolar weather. Portland is the perfect place for when you get old and want to retire. City of hype and nothing else. Dont watch portlandia!  Stay away! Lol hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom