Anyone on NT Into Vinyl Records?

I was recently at a local records store and heard some vinyl records being played and really enjoyed how they sounded vs their digital (lossless) counterparts. I asked the guy working the counter what would be an ideal setup to purchase for a good listening environment and I got the pretentious music store employee answer of "just go listen to some rigs and go with what you feel".

Anyone on NT mess with vinyl records and can give me some suggestions on hardware to purchase and what the ideal room setup would be?

I don't think this belongs in the music forum but if you need to move it so be it.

Thanks.

The sound of a needle that hits a vinyl record..... there's nothing else like.  I love producers that sample records in their productions

I own a nice little collection of my favorite albums on vinyl. What sort of set-up do you currently own? I have a Technics-1200, which is the way to go if you want to own a great turntable that will stand the test of time. It's the only old technology I own music wise, but I hook it up to my receiver and it gets the job done.

I own a nice little collection of my favorite albums on vinyl. What sort of set-up do you currently own? I have a Technics-1200, which is the way to go if you want to own a great turntable that will stand the test of time. It's the only old technology I own music wise, but I hook it up to my receiver and it gets the job done.

Don't own anything, complete n00b when it comes to analog audio but from looking around the internet a lot of people suggest grabbing a Technics-1200.

I have a huge collection, most of them old jazz and funk albums given to me from my dad. And a couple that I bought myself.

I want a better set up too though, all I have right now is just one of those huge all in one table top things. I'll be looking into a real set up once I move out and create my own stereo system

:D Hi!

Definitely grab a Tech 1200 as recommended.

I don't own one YET (I currently have the Stanton T92) but i'll get around to it in the near future.

I'd even recommend the Stanton T92 to you because of the USB port (and the price is right).

Maybe you'd wanna dump some **** on your iPod or something like that.

Some of us posted a lot of pics of our record collections in the vinyl thread (music section). Check it out.

The thread Ruxxx was talking about: http://niketalk.com/t/341600/vinyl-collection-thread-vol-crate-diggers-welcome

This is something I recently bought just based solely on the cover 
laugh.gif

He's so looks so happy with his white woman. 

BTW Ruxxx, where do you dig? If i feel like it after work, I'll stop by Som Records that's by the U St. station. Then if I feel like spending a few hours (and dollars), I'll stop by Joe's off of I think Georgia Ave. near downtown Silver Spring.

love vinyl :smokin

The artwork is always cool and thrift stores are FULL Of grear records.

The guy at the record store i go to once said that listening to
Cds is like sitting in a room and turning the lights on and listening to
Vinyl is like sitting in a room and letting the light in.

Old heads 8)

OP, Vestax also makes some good turntables.  Make sure you get direct drive turntables as opposed to belt driven turntables.  

I had alot of old school hip hop joints on vinyl back in the day. wish i wouldve kept em.

:smh: Some things are better left analog

I inherited a Technics SL-1900 when I was 17. Been rocking with it ever since.

If I were to buy one I'd probably go for the 1200 like others mentioned.

You can use the rca connections( red and white ) on a stereo amp with wired speakers or most stereo systems. You could even do like I do and have a external soundcard with rca inputs and play and record thru your computer.

If I had 15k to spend on one I would get or build a Laser Turntable

View media item 320159
If you’re one of those folks who believes that no audio medium has ever improved on the vinyl LP, you’ll want to know about ELP’s Laser Turntable. Yes, it plays records, but with a laser instead of a needle, so it won’t cause damage or deterioration to your moldy oldies. And, because there is no needle making contact with the grooves, it delivers unaltered sound that’s as close to the original recording as you’re likely to get. If you can let go of your prejudice against CDs and the like, you might even be happy to hear it comes with a remote that lets you pause and advance the record. But you better really love analog sound, because the Laser Turntable will set you back $15,000.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2006/05/laser_turntable/

Last edited:
If you only want a turntable for your own pleasure I'm sure you could find a cheap one online, or at a thrift store, sometimes record shops also sell refurbished ones. If you decide to go that route you want to make sure the needle is good, you'll also want to make sure it plays stereo as that's gonna get you the best quality. An easy way to find out if it's stereo or not is if it has Left and Right Outputs (Red & White plugs).

My turntable is hooked up to studio monitors as opposed to regular speakers, the difference is that studio monitors give you an "uncut" signal so you get all the sounds coming through where regular speakers boost mid level frequencies and/or have a cutoff frequency, so your sound is filtered in a sense. Many times you might not notice the difference but it's definitely there.

As for purchasing vinyl itself generally you have Stereo Quality (top), Hi-Fidelity (mid), and Mono (low/simplest) which is usually listed on the sleeve and record. Again if you have basic hardware you might not notice the difference but it's most certainly there. When you have good hardware with a great record the quality is second to listening to a live room performance. Crate digging is a science and requires a lot of patience. You can find some great stuff at thrift stores but they usually get cleaned out by resellers who check them on the daily :smh: , can't knock the hustle but part of the challenge of getting into vinyl is finding great music at a great price. If you don't find anything you know, trust your music instincts and you can discover some great music, and if all else fails you usually get some cool artwork. Best of luck.

Cliffs:

Turntable + Studio Monitors + Stereo Vinyl = Best Quality

Crate digging takes patience, avoid overpaying shop prices!

if you just want it for listening purposes and not on some audiophile type ****, just get a cheap belt drive turntable, receiver and speakers. you could pralli get all of that at a pawn shop for around a hundred bucks.

if you want to scratch/mix get direct drive turntables (technics 1200 is the gold standard) and add a mixer to the equipment above. you should be able to get all of it used if you arent trying to spend too much money.

one bit of advice would be unless you plan on scratching there isn't much need to buy a direct drive turntable.

Last edited:
not sure why people are suggesting a technics 1200...and i have a set. if you're just using it for listening, you can consider other things. the technics is popular as a dj turntable because it's sturdy and has good torque.

anyways, there's a buncha hi-fi forums...just choose the setup carefully. there are a lot of variables for the complex system, ranging from your cartridges to your speakers.

not sure why people are suggesting a technics 1200...and i have a set. if you're just using it for listening, you can consider other things. the technics is popular as a dj turntable because it's sturdy and has good torque.

anyways, there's a buncha hi-fi forums...just choose the setup carefully. there are a lot of variables for the complex system, ranging from your cartridges to your speakers.

listen to this man.

The thread Ruxxx was talking about: http://niketalk.com/t/341600/vinyl-collection-thread-vol-crate-diggers-welcome

This is something I recently bought just based solely on the cover 
laugh.gif

View media item 319954

He's so looks so happy with his white woman. 

BTW Ruxxx, where do you dig? If i feel like it after work, I'll stop by Som Records that's by the U St. station. Then if I feel like spending a few hours (and dollars), I'll stop by Joe's off of I think Georgia Ave. near downtown Silver Spring.

What's up Joe.

I dig at Som and Joe's as well. Check out my man Josh's store in the Dupont Circle area (Red Onion Records). It's a small spot but a dope one. Also check out CDepot in College Park. Don't be fooled by the name... they have a LOT of **** in there.

listen to this man.

Any suggestions on which forums to visit? I would just be doing it for listening and not DJing. And I'd prefer to be on some audiophile ****. I'm not looking to drop 15k on a setup but 2-3K is not out of the question.

Last edited:
I'm not a pro when it comes to vinyl players, but I do enjoy listening to vinyls rather than cd's. I own a Pyle home turntable.

Here is a link to it:

Amazon product ASIN B0040720NY
I believe I bought it last year? I use it every morning and it hasn't failed me just yet. I recommend getting this if you're into old cassettes as well.

Any suggestions on which forums to visit? I would just be doing it for listening and not DJing. And I'd prefer to be on some audiophile ****. I'm not looking to drop 15k on a setup but 2-3K is not out of the question.

Try the soulstrut forums.

Some of the people there can be a little vicious, but if you're honest and let them know that you're just starting with the hobby they'll help you out.

listen to this man.

Do you want a set up just for listening to music?

Back
Top Bottom