Anyone on NT Into Vinyl Records?

I love the feel of vinyl in my hands.
Been djing for 6 years. I've played off midi controllers, cd players, and turntables. Nothing compares to a turntable. I would suggest to not be cheap about the equipment. If you really enjoy the sound of it, go all the way

not sure why people are suggesting a technics 1200...and i have a set. if you're just using it for listening, you can consider other things. the technics is popular as a dj turntable because it's sturdy and has good torque.

anyways, there's a buncha hi-fi forums...just choose the setup carefully. there are a lot of variables for the complex system, ranging from your cartridges to your speakers.

listen to this man.

Any suggestions on which forums to visit? I would just be doing it for listening and not DJing. And I'd prefer to be on some audiophile ****. I'm not looking to drop 15k on a setup but 2-3K is not out of the question.

Do you want a set up just for listening to music?

Yes, just for listening to music.

One summer I was helping my Grandmother renovate her entire home(it was owned by a hoarder :smh: )

As I was cleaning I came up on this HUGE vinyl collection. All of the Beatles albums, in a signed decorative box, a lot of Pink Floyd, and things like that. I got the Beatles set and the wall record, but I was unable to find a record player in the whole damn place :smh:

I know they sell newer albums on vinyl records, I wonder if they have Man on the Moon 1&2...

not sure why people are suggesting a technics 1200...and i have a set. if you're just using it for listening, you can consider other things. the technics is popular as a dj turntable because it's sturdy and has good torque.

anyways, there's a buncha hi-fi forums...just choose the setup carefully. there are a lot of variables for the complex system, ranging from your cartridges to your speakers.

There are definitely tables out there for listening purposes that I'd recommend over the 1200s. For a decent entry level turntable, check out some of the tables from Rega or Pro-Ject

My advice is stay away from hifi forums before you become addicted :lol:. I don't even want to think about how much I spent on my system (upgrading speakers, phono amps, headphone amps, integrated amps, the turntable, cartridge etc).. Then there's the vinyl maintenance (cleaning liquids, record cleaning machine, inner sleeves, outer sleeves, cleaning brush, anti static gun etc)

Last edited:
I have and love vinyls.
(This is what I have in my bedroom)
View media item 321793
My setup is the same setup I use to dj. I dont know if there is any sound difference between a turntable that cost $50 (with a $10 needle) vs. A Turntable that cost $500 (With a $80 needle).

My technics work fine. And I like playing them on my Technics because some tracks sound better sped up. I still have some Vicente Fernandez LP that I got from my Uncle. Sounds great.

My favorite part, is hearing the static/cracks from the records.

Any suggestions on which forums to visit? I would just be doing it for listening and not DJing. And I'd prefer to be on some audiophile ****. I'm not looking to drop 15k on a setup but 2-3K is not out of the question.

http://www.head-fi.org/f/ is good for headphones, not sure what output you want

http://turntablelab.com/pages/beginners-guide-to-turntables -- very simple beginner's guide

I don't know too much about hifi setups myself personally. I appreciate the sound and "warmness" of vinyl for sure, but my ears are probably too damaged from DJing for me to really appreciate the intense changes that a $$$ setup can bring.

One summer I was helping my Grandmother renovate her entire home(it was owned by a hoarder :smh: )

As I was cleaning I came up on this HUGE vinyl collection. All of the Beatles albums, in a signed decorative box, a lot of Pink Floyd, and things like that. I got the Beatles set and the wall record, but I was unable to find a record player in the whole damn place :smh:

I know they sell newer albums on vinyl records, I wonder if they have Man on the Moon 1&2...

1.)

Amazon product ASIN B002IDH4PQ

2.)

Amazon product ASIN B0047CTO9K

OP, I'm assuming you don't want to spend too much, nor do you have super audiophilic needs. Considering the fact that you want something to just start out with, I want to recommend my lightweight, budget setup.

Audio Technica AT-LP60 ($81.04):
Amazon product ASIN B002GYTPAE
If you want to upgrade it a bit ($40):
http://www.lpgear.com/product/UPATPL60.html

A lot of people recommend Technic 1200s because it's a classic turntable. Since you won't be scratching or dj'ing with it, I don't see why you would need to spend the extra money on a direct drive turntable over one that is belt-driven. You will also be saving money in terms of cartridges and needles. I had to get a road ready case to protect my technics. Granted, I had a lot of mobile gigs, but still, a cardboard box won't protect a TT of that weight by any means. My technics + road ready case was 60+ pounds (estimate).

The Audio Technica is going to run you like

^^^ Did you not read my subsequent post in the thread :lol:

I DO want audiophile type sound and I'm willing to spend up to $3000

^^^ Did you not read my subsequent post in the thread
laugh.gif

I DO want audiophile type sound and I'm willing to spend up to $3000
Man at 3k you can build a very quality system, especially if it's just turntable only. Get a nice turntable, stereo receiver, phono preamp and speakers. That's really simple. Yes you can spend tens of thousands if you'd like but that's not necessary.

My suggestion would be look at www.audioadvisor.com. Great site for lots of good audiophile gear that's mid to very high priced.

For the table itself I would look at the Rega P3. It's around $1,200 with a great cartridge and is a killer deck. I have listened to that deck many times and it blows me away every time for the price.

As for stereo receiver look into something NAD is offering these days,

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAC326BEE

This is a great one for the price. NAD has a great warm sound to it and doesn't break the bank. And don't be fooled by their rated wattage. It gets far louder than you think.

As for phone preamp go with this:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MFVLPSII

Best deal on the market.

And for speakers there's the real toughie. Not sure what you're looking for as far as size and everything, but if you're looking for something small and very inexpensive these can't be beat:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CAS30

They might look like a small bookshelf but they rip. Their tonal balance and bass output is amazing. I have a pair in my sons room hooked up to an old Harman Kardon receiver and a stupid iPod and the sound is incredible. I can't even imagine how good they sound with a turntable hooked up. But if you're looking for bigger speakers there's lots of companies out there that have great floorstanders that can run around a $1,000 to $1,200 a pair. Look at B&W, Paradigm, EPOS, stuff like that. There's lots around and you might need to listen to those just to kind of see what you like hearing. Because believe me they all sound different.

But that's a good start and like other people have said definitely look at hi-fi blogs everywhere. There's lots of info out there.

love vinyl :smokin

The artwork is always cool and thrift stores are FULL Of grear records.

The guy at the record store i go to once said that listening to
Cds is like sitting in a room and turning the lights on and listening to
Vinyl is like sitting in a room and letting the light in.

Old heads 8)
That's actually a great analogy :pimp:

Yo looking to build my vinyl collection. I have a few from different record and thrift stores in my area. Kinda fell into this new hobby after talking so much about buying some of my favorite album on vinyl over the years. L

The experience of going into the shops digging for new/old albums is an art like a previous NTer posted and brings back memories of buy cds.

Im a novice at this and at some point I'm looking to purchase a record player.

Giving this thread a bump to hear stories about building your collection, buying experience, and keeping this thread going in 2018.

I’ve been buying vinyl lately. I like how it sounds and I missed the old feeling of buying albums. It can get expensive though. I bought an original Sade - Promise and Fleetwood Mac - Rumours from a local record shop a few weeks ago. It’s a fun hobby.

My pickups from earlier today

Attachments

• 15174411973397682831926244677097.jpg
    15174411973397682831926244677097.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 8
I’m glad this thread was bumped. I’ve been purchasing vinyls of my favorite albums, but still searching for a good player for them. Any recommendations in 2018?

Back
Top Bottom