Anyone Practice Buddhism Here On NT? (Philosophically)

Why don't you read the material and figure out what it means to you? All of this should be an individual experience first.
30t6p3b.gif

Why don't you read the material and figure out what it means to you? All of this should be an individual experience first.
30t6p3b.gif

I prefer the westernized definition of karma. I'm living right now, I wanna do well spiritually, physically and mentally right now.

I prefer the westernized definition of karma. I'm living right now, I wanna do well spiritually, physically and mentally right now.

[h1]Buddha:His Life and Teachings and Impact on Humanity (Pillars of Consciousness) by OSHO is a great book for those interested in the subject.  Osho explains Buddha and Buddhism in a very clear and logical manner.[/h1][h1]
[/h1][h1][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He gets a little redundant but I actually found his subtle redundancies to be helpful in clarifying exactly what he was trying to say. I think it'd be hard to read this book with an open mind without gaining significant amounts of respect for Buddha's philosophies and experiences. [/font][/h1]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Amazon product ASIN 0981834159[/font]

[h1]Buddha:His Life and Teachings and Impact on Humanity (Pillars of Consciousness) by OSHO is a great book for those interested in the subject.  Osho explains Buddha and Buddhism in a very clear and logical manner.[/h1][h1]
[/h1][h1][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He gets a little redundant but I actually found his subtle redundancies to be helpful in clarifying exactly what he was trying to say. I think it'd be hard to read this book with an open mind without gaining significant amounts of respect for Buddha's philosophies and experiences. [/font][/h1]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Amazon product ASIN 0981834159[/font]

Originally Posted by GUTTA BOB

a few q's if any1 can help answer em.

how is adultery viewed in buddhism? i heard its as bad as murder.

what is his view on marriage?  and what is his philosophy on sex before married?

is masturbation considered a sin in buddhism?

are animals ranked a certain way in reincarnation?  like a dog is higher than a roach etc etc.
or is it random.. like say i die tomorrow i mite get put back on earth as a dog then my next life as a cow.

does buddha believe in god?

i was told about buddha's heaven and supposedly when you get there.. there is still a ranking system.
like you're on a different plane but you must continue to work on your spiritual enlightenment and will gain higher and higher.
does anyone have any ideas what's heaven like?

sorry if i sound stupid im know nothing about buddism.  my gf mom and dad believe in him.
i go to church and read the bible because thats what black people do.  im tryna to think outside the box. help okay pls

Hi there. i don't speak for buddhists in general, but have some responses for you that might help you understand some concepts commonly associated with buddhism.

buddhism doesn't really have sins, so to speak. so in regards to your masturbation question, no it's not a sin. think of everything as a means to an end. what will your masturbation do for you? how does it make you feel? what does your masturbating have to do with the world around you? a devout buddhist might find ultimate enlightenment in the moments right before orgasm, or another devout buddhist might find ultimate enlightenment in the power of self control to never masturbate. (for more specific info, there's a school of buddhism commonly called tantric that gets into the physiological aspect a bit more than other schools.)

think of ultimate enlightenment as the common nt phrase "mind=blown" etc. only about everything that ever was...(and)or never was... at the same time.

*ultimately, if you were to fully comprehend that/experience that, then the "means to an end" phrase i used to describe this earlier kind of falls apart. (spend the next 60 years of your life thinking about this, and let's talk after that, okay?)

in regards to your animal reincarnation question, i would say this: what would be better or worse about being a cockroach or a dog?are you basing that on your human oriented perspective on life? would you prefer to be the cockroach that really has it going on, like getting it on with lots of girl cockroaches, (or guy cockroaches if that's your thing, or both if they are capable of that, i don't know much about cockroach physiology) and plenty of cockroach parties, eating whatever cockroaches like to eat, and there's lots of cool places to go that only a cockroach can get to? or one of mike vick's dogs? think about your answer to that, and think about what it says about your approach to life. i think a truly buddhist perspective would be that you don't have a preference for what animal you would come back as... or whether or not you come back as an animal or a human, or a blade of grass, or a flame, or a popular song, or a memory, or a god. or for that matter, buddhists might not have a specific preference to even come back at all. (after physical death, i mean) death is just another experience. buddhists will find the challenge/joy/pain/struggle/reward/ in (ideally) EVERYTHING they do (or don't do.). they are the experience. they wholly absorb it, bleed it, dream it, laugh it, at the very instant that it is going on (depending on your definition of instant).

JUST DO IT. wink emoticon.

you can read some historical accounts of buddhism throughout the ages of recorded writing. in that manner it's not strikingly different from christianity. male focal figure, mystical powers, unexplained events. (i am by no means mocking either religion, just trying to show how some people could consider them to be similar for reference purposes.)

but to have a better understanding of buddhism (which by the way IS essentially the driving force of buddhism, to have a better understanding) try doing some of these things.

sit in a non distractive environment. like the corner of your room, facing the corner. turn off anything that makes a sound. sit where you won't be disturbed by anything that moves. make the lights as accomodating to your eyes as possible. then sit there for 12 hours. or at least, sit down with the intent of being there and staring at the corner of the room, and not moving... for 12 hours. listen to your breath. listen to your heart. listen to your mind. what are you thinking about. how do you feel about what you are thinking about. did you think THIS is what you'd be thinking about? can you still feel your legs? can you smell anything cooking? what does that remind you of? where does your mind go? you might choose to not go 12 hours. you might choose more. but you'll probably be really aware about your decision when you make it.

***********************************the ability to instantly clear your mind and focus by not focusing at all******************************

go run 4 miles around a track. does your mind wander? (not really the act of running, but the mental activity that your mind falls into when you are using most of it to keep your body running.)

sing/play your favorite song that you've heard a million times before. (do you actually still 'think' about the next word before you say it? or are you picturing something related to the words of what you're singing, or listening to yourself make these noises, or feeling the air be forced out of your mouth?)

dream! try to dream! or try not to dream at all! which works better? how do you know that it works?

if you have experience reading christian texts, and studying them, or just moving your eyes back and forth over the pages until you've run out of pages, why not try a buddhist text just for a change of pace? (i think that by doing this you might come to your own conclusions about buddhism... which would be far more valuable/meaningful to you than anything i could possibly type here.)

Originally Posted by GUTTA BOB

a few q's if any1 can help answer em.

how is adultery viewed in buddhism? i heard its as bad as murder.

what is his view on marriage?  and what is his philosophy on sex before married?

is masturbation considered a sin in buddhism?

are animals ranked a certain way in reincarnation?  like a dog is higher than a roach etc etc.
or is it random.. like say i die tomorrow i mite get put back on earth as a dog then my next life as a cow.

does buddha believe in god?

i was told about buddha's heaven and supposedly when you get there.. there is still a ranking system.
like you're on a different plane but you must continue to work on your spiritual enlightenment and will gain higher and higher.
does anyone have any ideas what's heaven like?

sorry if i sound stupid im know nothing about buddism.  my gf mom and dad believe in him.
i go to church and read the bible because thats what black people do.  im tryna to think outside the box. help okay pls

Hi there. i don't speak for buddhists in general, but have some responses for you that might help you understand some concepts commonly associated with buddhism.

buddhism doesn't really have sins, so to speak. so in regards to your masturbation question, no it's not a sin. think of everything as a means to an end. what will your masturbation do for you? how does it make you feel? what does your masturbating have to do with the world around you? a devout buddhist might find ultimate enlightenment in the moments right before orgasm, or another devout buddhist might find ultimate enlightenment in the power of self control to never masturbate. (for more specific info, there's a school of buddhism commonly called tantric that gets into the physiological aspect a bit more than other schools.)

think of ultimate enlightenment as the common nt phrase "mind=blown" etc. only about everything that ever was...(and)or never was... at the same time.

*ultimately, if you were to fully comprehend that/experience that, then the "means to an end" phrase i used to describe this earlier kind of falls apart. (spend the next 60 years of your life thinking about this, and let's talk after that, okay?)

in regards to your animal reincarnation question, i would say this: what would be better or worse about being a cockroach or a dog?are you basing that on your human oriented perspective on life? would you prefer to be the cockroach that really has it going on, like getting it on with lots of girl cockroaches, (or guy cockroaches if that's your thing, or both if they are capable of that, i don't know much about cockroach physiology) and plenty of cockroach parties, eating whatever cockroaches like to eat, and there's lots of cool places to go that only a cockroach can get to? or one of mike vick's dogs? think about your answer to that, and think about what it says about your approach to life. i think a truly buddhist perspective would be that you don't have a preference for what animal you would come back as... or whether or not you come back as an animal or a human, or a blade of grass, or a flame, or a popular song, or a memory, or a god. or for that matter, buddhists might not have a specific preference to even come back at all. (after physical death, i mean) death is just another experience. buddhists will find the challenge/joy/pain/struggle/reward/ in (ideally) EVERYTHING they do (or don't do.). they are the experience. they wholly absorb it, bleed it, dream it, laugh it, at the very instant that it is going on (depending on your definition of instant).

JUST DO IT. wink emoticon.

you can read some historical accounts of buddhism throughout the ages of recorded writing. in that manner it's not strikingly different from christianity. male focal figure, mystical powers, unexplained events. (i am by no means mocking either religion, just trying to show how some people could consider them to be similar for reference purposes.)

but to have a better understanding of buddhism (which by the way IS essentially the driving force of buddhism, to have a better understanding) try doing some of these things.

sit in a non distractive environment. like the corner of your room, facing the corner. turn off anything that makes a sound. sit where you won't be disturbed by anything that moves. make the lights as accomodating to your eyes as possible. then sit there for 12 hours. or at least, sit down with the intent of being there and staring at the corner of the room, and not moving... for 12 hours. listen to your breath. listen to your heart. listen to your mind. what are you thinking about. how do you feel about what you are thinking about. did you think THIS is what you'd be thinking about? can you still feel your legs? can you smell anything cooking? what does that remind you of? where does your mind go? you might choose to not go 12 hours. you might choose more. but you'll probably be really aware about your decision when you make it.

***********************************the ability to instantly clear your mind and focus by not focusing at all******************************

go run 4 miles around a track. does your mind wander? (not really the act of running, but the mental activity that your mind falls into when you are using most of it to keep your body running.)

sing/play your favorite song that you've heard a million times before. (do you actually still 'think' about the next word before you say it? or are you picturing something related to the words of what you're singing, or listening to yourself make these noises, or feeling the air be forced out of your mouth?)

dream! try to dream! or try not to dream at all! which works better? how do you know that it works?

if you have experience reading christian texts, and studying them, or just moving your eyes back and forth over the pages until you've run out of pages, why not try a buddhist text just for a change of pace? (i think that by doing this you might come to your own conclusions about buddhism... which would be far more valuable/meaningful to you than anything i could possibly type here.)

When I was 17-19. I've reverted though or as Buddhist would say I'm still in the process of releasing my ego. When I was practicing and studying what I could find I never did believe in reincarnation or a cosmic force that is karma but the good thing about being Buddhist you don't need to believe in those things to be one. Just understand the concept. Always been interested on if there's an afterlife so reincarnation could be an option.

Just so it can be said again there are no deities in Buddhism. Many consider it a philosophy more than a religion. A Buddhist can be an atheist btw.

When I was 17-19. I've reverted though or as Buddhist would say I'm still in the process of releasing my ego. When I was practicing and studying what I could find I never did believe in reincarnation or a cosmic force that is karma but the good thing about being Buddhist you don't need to believe in those things to be one. Just understand the concept. Always been interested on if there's an afterlife so reincarnation could be an option.

Just so it can be said again there are no deities in Buddhism. Many consider it a philosophy more than a religion. A Buddhist can be an atheist btw.

Read the Bhagavad Gita

/thread
eyes.gif

Your not saying anything though, Hank, only making an assumption. The Bhagavad Gita is a spiritual text but it has philosophical, practical meaning to it and historically is revered by intellectuals such as Albert Einestein and Aldous Huxley.

Read the Bhagavad Gita

/thread
eyes.gif

Your not saying anything though, Hank, only making an assumption. The Bhagavad Gita is a spiritual text but it has philosophical, practical meaning to it and historically is revered by intellectuals such as Albert Einestein and Aldous Huxley.

Buddhism is a release

Your minds creativity and curiosity is expanded 10 fold

I really like it, but buddhism to me may be way different then what it is for the next person.

I take things for what I experience and I experience good when I'm into some Buddhist readings, or just meditating.

"The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly."

Buddhism is a release

Your minds creativity and curiosity is expanded 10 fold

I really like it, but buddhism to me may be way different then what it is for the next person.

I take things for what I experience and I experience good when I'm into some Buddhist readings, or just meditating.

"The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly."

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Read the Bhagavad Gita

/thread

[h3]Re: Anyone Practice Buddhism Here On NT? (Philosophically)[/h3]
eyes.gif
Many people don't consider Buddhism a religion. Rather, they consider it a philosophy that branched off of Hinduism. If you want to learn about where Buddhism came from, then it's a good idea to find out where it started. The recommendation of the Gita isn't a bad one. Buddhism and Hinduism share many of their fundamental viewpoints.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Read the Bhagavad Gita

/thread

[h3]Re: Anyone Practice Buddhism Here On NT? (Philosophically)[/h3]
eyes.gif
Many people don't consider Buddhism a religion. Rather, they consider it a philosophy that branched off of Hinduism. If you want to learn about where Buddhism came from, then it's a good idea to find out where it started. The recommendation of the Gita isn't a bad one. Buddhism and Hinduism share many of their fundamental viewpoints.

Today's insight from my Dalai Lama daily calendar:

"Our thought is like water, running in every direction. But just as water, when channelized, it becomes powerful...so it is with our minds."

Today's insight from my Dalai Lama daily calendar:

"Our thought is like water, running in every direction. But just as water, when channelized, it becomes powerful...so it is with our minds."

Definitely interesting....something ive been wanting to read up on for a few years now but have just been too lazy to do so.

Back
Top Bottom