Anyone Practice Buddhism Here On NT? (Philosophically)

Originally Posted by fittednoob

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I'm not a member of the religion, but I do employ many of its principles.
I just cant really submit to any deities.
Buddha isn't a deity. He's a fat guy that left his rich family and started a new way of life.
If you're not joking than shame on your ignorance.

And I am Buddhist btw. 

I saw the Richard Gere narrated documentary, don't worry
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Dame Theory

Originally Posted by acidicality

My parents are Buddhist so I had a lot of Buddhist principles instilled in me growing up, even though I don't consider myself Buddhist (I'm more Agnostic). A lot of it is really simple...no killing, no stealing, no greed, etc., those signs were always put all over the walls in the monastery my parents took me to.

Also a big thing is karma (like you all probably know), some believe stuff like, if you do (insert crime) you will become an insect in your next life or something like that. Obviously not like that, but yeah.

I think Karma is two things.
1. It makes people feel like you get rewarded for doing good thigns and punished for doing bad. I don't subscribe to it. I think good people have a tendency to be helped by other good people just because they're good people Bad things happen to bad people because they tend to be in situations that could lead to bad consequences. 

2. people aren't ready to adopt the notion that the universe is indifferent. 
I've been talking to others about karma lately. Most of them believe that you should do good deeds because you want to be rewarded for it. I don't understand this selfish viewpoint. I've always believed that you should do good because its your desire to do better for yourself and others around you.
I agree with the second point. Nature is a very humbling force. You're just another crab in the bucket basically. When you realize that and the strength of nature, you'll be greatly humbled.

Originally Posted by acidicality

My parents are Buddhist so I had a lot of Buddhist principles instilled in me growing up, even though I don't consider myself Buddhist (I'm more Agnostic). A lot of it is really simple...no killing, no stealing, no greed, etc., those signs were always put all over the walls in the monastery my parents took me to.

Also a big thing is karma (like you all probably know), some believe stuff like, if you do (insert crime) you will become an insect in your next life or something like that. Obviously not like that, but yeah.

I think Karma is two things.
1. It makes people feel like you get rewarded for doing good thigns and punished for doing bad. I don't subscribe to it. I think good people have a tendency to be helped by other good people just because they're good people Bad things happen to bad people because they tend to be in situations that could lead to bad consequences. 

2. people aren't ready to adopt the notion that the universe is indifferent. 
I've been talking to others about karma lately. Most of them believe that you should do good deeds because you want to be rewarded for it. I don't understand this selfish viewpoint. I've always believed that you should do good because its your desire to do better for yourself and others around you.
I agree with the second point. Nature is a very humbling force. You're just another crab in the bucket basically. When you realize that and the strength of nature, you'll be greatly humbled.

its ike any religion...there some good stuff but theres some bad stuff too.

the social implications and personal guidance some of it provides is interesting... I just cant really submit to any deities. That will never be a goal.
eh.  I don't think you actually know what you're talking about, if you're referencing God when it comes to Buddhism.

the social implications and personal guidance some of it provides is interesting... I just cant really submit to any deities. That will never be a goal.
eh.  I don't think you actually know what you're talking about, if you're referencing God when it comes to Buddhism.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

I'm basically saying that when the introduction of a deity of ANY sort comes in the picture, I can't rock with it. 
Like its almost fundamental at this point in my life. 

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

I'm basically saying that when the introduction of a deity of ANY sort comes in the picture, I can't rock with it. 
Like its almost fundamental at this point in my life. 

Originally Posted by YouMadYouBad

I am also interested

I read this book called siddhartha

Good read in my opinion
Check out The Dhammapada. Gives you some basic principles and ideologies to embrace.

Originally Posted by YouMadYouBad

I am also interested

I read this book called siddhartha

Good read in my opinion
Check out The Dhammapada. Gives you some basic principles and ideologies to embrace.

I'm not very knowledgeable at all when it comes to Buddhism. Any recommendations on books or articles of any kind that I can catch up on?

I'm not very knowledgeable at all when it comes to Buddhism. Any recommendations on books or articles of any kind that I can catch up on?

Buddha isn't a deity. He's a fat guy that left his rich family and started a new way of life.

buddha was not fat

buddha was not fat

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

buddha was not fat
We covered that on the first page
smile.gif

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

buddha was not fat
We covered that on the first page
smile.gif

do you mean series instead of serious?

but to be on topic... i've picked up a couple of books on buddhism, and it truly seems to be a really peaceful religion.

do you mean series instead of serious?

but to be on topic... i've picked up a couple of books on buddhism, and it truly seems to be a really peaceful religion.

Karma isnt really doing good to get rewarded or if you do something bad something bad will happen to you. Thats how we use it in our language. Karma really is when you do bad your soul doesnt grow and you comeback in the next life to relearn from your mistakes. We are here to learn from each life and dont spiritually grow until we learn from our mistakes. This is a bad example but slave masters might come back as slaves. The point of your many existences is to eventually reach Nirvana (a state of no suffering).

Karma isnt really doing good to get rewarded or if you do something bad something bad will happen to you. Thats how we use it in our language. Karma really is when you do bad your soul doesnt grow and you comeback in the next life to relearn from your mistakes. We are here to learn from each life and dont spiritually grow until we learn from our mistakes. This is a bad example but slave masters might come back as slaves. The point of your many existences is to eventually reach Nirvana (a state of no suffering).

Back
Top Bottom