Anyone running Ubuntu?

Originally Posted by ONEFORALL

Ubuntu rocks. So much smoother on my laptop then windows 7. Laptop used to make very high sound but not with ubuntu. I have dual boot also with windows 7 and i use that only for San Andreas and Vice City.

Whenever my dad lets me either just buy a new desktop or build one, that's what I plan on doing to my laptop. But since it's my main computer now I'm just leaving it as it is because Windows 7 has been great for me so far

yeah so that wasn't even worth it. The computer still running slow as ever. I'm just going to recycle it

yeah so that wasn't even worth it. The computer still running slow as ever. I'm just going to recycle it

anyone tired out 10.10 yet? is it a real improvement over 10.04?
nerd.gif

My roomie has Ubuntu on his laptop so I might give it a try

[h4][/h4]
[h4]Ubuntu 10.10 'Maverick Meerkat' officially released: get your cloud storage, paid apps and Unity UI now[/h4]
By Sean Hollister posted Oct 10th 2010 1:40PM

On the tenth day of the tenth month in the tenth year (read: today) Ubuntu Linux has hit its 10.10 revision, though it's mostly more of the same. The new Unity desktop interface makes cramped netbook screens more organized, software purchase support might legitimize Ubuntu as an app platform, Ubuntu One brings a free 2GB of Dropbox-like cloud storage to automatically synchronize files and folders, and streams music to Android and iPhone devices too... for a price. There's also full multitouch support, if you've got the hardware. "There's never been a better time to try Ubuntu," the open-source community cries, and they're probably right -- early reviewers claim this Maverick Meerkat build is one of the best they've tried. Find the 700MB downloads at our source link, or in torrent trackers all around the world.

Read (1), (2) - Expert Reviews
Read - ExtremeTech

[Thanks, Bobby]
post_label_source.gif
Ubuntu

My roomie has Ubuntu on his laptop so I might give it a try

[h4][/h4]
[h4]Ubuntu 10.10 'Maverick Meerkat' officially released: get your cloud storage, paid apps and Unity UI now[/h4]
By Sean Hollister posted Oct 10th 2010 1:40PM

On the tenth day of the tenth month in the tenth year (read: today) Ubuntu Linux has hit its 10.10 revision, though it's mostly more of the same. The new Unity desktop interface makes cramped netbook screens more organized, software purchase support might legitimize Ubuntu as an app platform, Ubuntu One brings a free 2GB of Dropbox-like cloud storage to automatically synchronize files and folders, and streams music to Android and iPhone devices too... for a price. There's also full multitouch support, if you've got the hardware. "There's never been a better time to try Ubuntu," the open-source community cries, and they're probably right -- early reviewers claim this Maverick Meerkat build is one of the best they've tried. Find the 700MB downloads at our source link, or in torrent trackers all around the world.

Read (1), (2) - Expert Reviews
Read - ExtremeTech

[Thanks, Bobby]
post_label_source.gif
Ubuntu

I tried runnin it dual boot w/ Win7 but it lagged for me. Maybe b/c of my bad hdd. I'll reinstall when I get another hdd and dual boot again. I liked it.

I tried runnin it dual boot w/ Win7 but it lagged for me. Maybe b/c of my bad hdd. I'll reinstall when I get another hdd and dual boot again. I liked it.

What and how are people customising the OS? Also what are some good apps? How is Chrome on Ubuntu?
For docks and themes, I think I'm gonna get something form here.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]The best and worst docks for Ubuntu[/h2]
Docks became popular when Mac began using them in their operating system. But these days docks are available on all platforms.

So which ones should you avoid and which ones should you use?

Lets start with the ones you should avoid.

1. Simdock

It’s in the official Ubuntu 8.04 repository, but don’t ask me why. The screen shot says it all.

simdock4.png

Advise: avoid at all costs!

2. Gdesklets dock

I didn’t even install this one in hardy. I’m speaking from experience about this dock.

Gdesklets was extremly unstable for me in gutsy and made my pc crash on numerous occasions.

When it was not busy crashing, it was having a serious impact on resources.

If you want a screen shot, try google.

Advise: try it if you want, but be warned, you’ll hate it.

3. Kiba Dock

The dock itself isn’t to bad. It’s not the best, but still pretty good. The reason I think people should avoid this application is because you need to compile it from source.

kiba-clean.png

Advise: if you feel like compling it from source, by all means do so

Now, which ones should you try?

1. AWN

Short for Avant Window Navigator, AWN is one of the best docks availabe this day. It offers great applets, you can download themes from the internet, it has a flat and 3d look (look here for the curved look). You can set all kind of effects for the icons.

I didn’t crash on me when I used it and I didn’t experience any kind of impact on my system because of awn.

It’s in the Ubuntu repository, so install it as you would any other application.

awn.png

Advise: if you are looking for a dock, you should test this one.

2. Cairo Dock

My favorite one.

The reason? It just looks the best.

The program comes with a dozen or so standard “skins

What and how are people customising the OS? Also what are some good apps? How is Chrome on Ubuntu?
For docks and themes, I think I'm gonna get something form here.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]The best and worst docks for Ubuntu[/h2]
Docks became popular when Mac began using them in their operating system. But these days docks are available on all platforms.

So which ones should you avoid and which ones should you use?

Lets start with the ones you should avoid.

1. Simdock

It’s in the official Ubuntu 8.04 repository, but don’t ask me why. The screen shot says it all.

simdock4.png

Advise: avoid at all costs!

2. Gdesklets dock

I didn’t even install this one in hardy. I’m speaking from experience about this dock.

Gdesklets was extremly unstable for me in gutsy and made my pc crash on numerous occasions.

When it was not busy crashing, it was having a serious impact on resources.

If you want a screen shot, try google.

Advise: try it if you want, but be warned, you’ll hate it.

3. Kiba Dock

The dock itself isn’t to bad. It’s not the best, but still pretty good. The reason I think people should avoid this application is because you need to compile it from source.

kiba-clean.png

Advise: if you feel like compling it from source, by all means do so

Now, which ones should you try?

1. AWN

Short for Avant Window Navigator, AWN is one of the best docks availabe this day. It offers great applets, you can download themes from the internet, it has a flat and 3d look (look here for the curved look). You can set all kind of effects for the icons.

I didn’t crash on me when I used it and I didn’t experience any kind of impact on my system because of awn.

It’s in the Ubuntu repository, so install it as you would any other application.

awn.png

Advise: if you are looking for a dock, you should test this one.

2. Cairo Dock

My favorite one.

The reason? It just looks the best.

The program comes with a dozen or so standard “skins

Originally Posted by SneakerReaper

Changed mine up since upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10

cy8o.png

Here is mine from the Post Your Desktop thread.

- I am running Ubuntu 10.10.  I have Screenlets on the right side.  I tried using Conky but Screenlets are easier IMO.  Conky is way more customizable but I don't really have the time to configure it (not easy at all).
- I am using Avant Window Navigator for my dock.  Simple and easy to use.
- I haven't tried Google Chrome.  I've only used Firefox and with all of the plug-ins available, it's the only browser I need.

As far as apps go:
- OpenOffice.org is necessary.  I upgraded to OOo 3.3 a couple weeks back.
- I use GIMP for creating .gifs whenever I'm bored.  Good Photoshop substitute when you learn how to use it.
- I use Rhythmbox for music.  Just drag and drop songs to and from my Iphone.  Also does podcasts.  The best IMO.

That's it for the basics. http://ubuntuforums.org has all the info you need to get set up.

Tips
- Install everything from the software center at first.  Once you learn how to extract tarballs and compile from source or build .deb files then you can install apps from the website.
- Anything you want to do, you can do. All you have to do is look for it. Your computer is fully customizable. That's what I like about Ubuntu and Linux in general.

I have fully converted to Ubuntu. No Windows on my pc at all.

Originally Posted by SneakerReaper

Changed mine up since upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10

cy8o.png

Here is mine from the Post Your Desktop thread.

- I am running Ubuntu 10.10.  I have Screenlets on the right side.  I tried using Conky but Screenlets are easier IMO.  Conky is way more customizable but I don't really have the time to configure it (not easy at all).
- I am using Avant Window Navigator for my dock.  Simple and easy to use.
- I haven't tried Google Chrome.  I've only used Firefox and with all of the plug-ins available, it's the only browser I need.

As far as apps go:
- OpenOffice.org is necessary.  I upgraded to OOo 3.3 a couple weeks back.
- I use GIMP for creating .gifs whenever I'm bored.  Good Photoshop substitute when you learn how to use it.
- I use Rhythmbox for music.  Just drag and drop songs to and from my Iphone.  Also does podcasts.  The best IMO.

That's it for the basics. http://ubuntuforums.org has all the info you need to get set up.

Tips
- Install everything from the software center at first.  Once you learn how to extract tarballs and compile from source or build .deb files then you can install apps from the website.
- Anything you want to do, you can do. All you have to do is look for it. Your computer is fully customizable. That's what I like about Ubuntu and Linux in general.

I have fully converted to Ubuntu. No Windows on my pc at all.

So I got a new wireless router, Cisco Valet Plus and on the box it said it was compatible with Windows and Mac. I know in the past, Cisco has put out drivers for Linux....but I tired some methods that I got off of Ubuntuforums and no luck so far, Any suggestions?
I went into my terminal and entered lsusb:

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 413c:3200 Dell Computer Corp. Mouse
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 13b1:002e Linksys
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1307:1169 Transcend Information, Inc. TS2GJF210 JetFlash 210 2GB
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1307:0169 Transcend Information, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

So I got a new wireless router, Cisco Valet Plus and on the box it said it was compatible with Windows and Mac. I know in the past, Cisco has put out drivers for Linux....but I tired some methods that I got off of Ubuntuforums and no luck so far, Any suggestions?

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1307:1169 Transcend Information, Inc. TS2GJF210 JetFlash 210 2GB

I used it via VMWare for a few weeks, very nice OS, for some reason Fedora never worked when I tried to install it. If I was broke I would easily load it on a cheap laptop/netbook.

I used it via VMWare for a few weeks, very nice OS, for some reason Fedora never worked when I tried to install it. If I was broke I would easily load it on a cheap laptop/netbook.

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

Install Wine: http://www.winehq.org/
It is compatible with the Cisco Valet Easy Setup Key which is what I assume you are using.  It's in the compatible apps database: http://appdb.winehq.org/o...pplication&iId=11742

Good luck.  Wine is pretty easy to get up and running.  Just read the Read Me file when you download it.  Step by step directions.  Hope everything turns out well on your first try.

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

Install Wine: http://www.winehq.org/
It is compatible with the Cisco Valet Easy Setup Key which is what I assume you are using.  It's in the compatible apps database: http://appdb.winehq.org/o...pplication&iId=11742

Good luck.  Wine is pretty easy to get up and running.  Just read the Read Me file when you download it.  Step by step directions.  Hope everything turns out well on your first try.

Back
Top Bottom