Anyone Torn a Knee Ligament?

i tore my entire knee up, acl pcl mcl meniscus. it felt 4 or 5 pops/clicks when i did it. the whole thing went numb after the initial pain. the next morning it was swollen like crazy and i def couldn't walk.

but good luck man. hope the news isn't bad for you on monday. hopefully just a sprain.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

i tore my entire knee up, acl pcl mcl meniscus. it felt 4 or 5 pops/clicks when i did it. the whole thing went numb after the initial pain. the next morning it was swollen like crazy and i def couldn't walk.

but good luck man. hope the news isn't bad for you on monday. hopefully just a sprain.
eek.gif

How did you do that?

eek.gif

How did you do that?

Originally Posted by airblaster503

You probably have a sprain or a partial tear, if your ligament was fully torn there is no way you would have gone on playing. That is good news though, since if it isn't to bad you might just have to do some rehab and not deal with surgery. My brother has torn his ACL and he said he heard a pop and had no stability in his knee. I have also had my collar bone come fully detached from my shoulder and heard a loud **$ pop, got up and my shoulder just felt like it was floating.
This is mostly right.
I partially tore my meniscus in the middle of basketball season senior year about a year ago. My knee hyper extended 

inward to the point where i heard crackling the further it went. At first i kept playing but went to plant and turn laterally after catching an outlet pass and i just knew then and got off the court asap..The swelling didnt come right away but my fathers a physical therapist and said if id really torn something it would have blown up right on the spot. My swelling was somewhat minimal and it turns out if i'd stretched it any further i would have torn everything. The crackling i heard was part of the bone in my knee pull off from the force of the movement. Now im good back playing college ball.

Sorry if it sounds like a story ,just seemed like the only way to explain it.
eyes.gif

You probably have a sprain or a partial tear, if your ligament was fully torn there is no way you would have gone on playing. That is good news though, since if it isn't to bad you might just have to do some rehab and not deal with surgery. My brother has torn his ACL and he said he heard a pop and had no stability in his knee. I have also had my collar bone come fully detached from my shoulder and heard a loud **$ pop, got up and my shoulder just felt like it was floating.
This is mostly right.
I partially tore my meniscus in the middle of basketball season senior year about a year ago. My knee hyper extended 

inward to the point where i heard crackling the further it went. At first i kept playing but went to plant and turn laterally after catching an outlet pass and i just knew then and got off the court asap..The swelling didnt come right away but my fathers a physical therapist and said if id really torn something it would have blown up right on the spot. My swelling was somewhat minimal and it turns out if i'd stretched it any further i would have torn everything. The crackling i heard was part of the bone in my knee pull off from the force of the movement. Now im good back playing college ball.

eyes.gif

This is mostly right.

eyes.gif

This is mostly right.

eyes.gif

Here's the update -- Went to the doctor today and he's thinking its a torn/partially torn meniscus and/or partially torn ACL. He gave me the order to get an MRI, which I'll try to schedule quickly. He seemed to feel pretty strongly that the meniscus was the most likely, but only the MRI will tell for sure. Needless to say, no basketball for a while. The timing sucks because we're in the finals for the rec league I'm in coming up on Thursday, but I'm definitely not going to risk doing further damage to my knee for the sake of a rec league championship.

Here's the update -- Went to the doctor today and he's thinking its a torn/partially torn meniscus and/or partially torn ACL. He gave me the order to get an MRI, which I'll try to schedule quickly. He seemed to feel pretty strongly that the meniscus was the most likely, but only the MRI will tell for sure. Needless to say, no basketball for a while. The timing sucks because we're in the finals for the rec league I'm in coming up on Thursday, but I'm definitely not going to risk doing further damage to my knee for the sake of a rec league championship.

Originally Posted by JCH3

eek.gif

How did you do that?
long story short...initially injured it in hockey...doctor misdiagnosed it...went back to baseball two weeks later and tore the entire thing up

OP...hopefully it's just the meniscus. definitely definitely stay off the courts like you said. good luck with the MRI

eek.gif

How did you do that?
long story short...initially injured it in hockey...doctor misdiagnosed it...went back to baseball two weeks later and tore the entire thing up

OP...hopefully it's just the meniscus. definitely definitely stay off the courts like you said. good luck with the MRI

yea i have. I can still hear that crumble sound every time i put pressure on it while extending my knee. Im not sure it healed properly. smfh.

crumple*

yea i have. I can still hear that crumble sound every time i put pressure on it while extending my knee. Im not sure it healed properly. smfh.

crumple*

eek.gif

How did you do that?

Thanks.  Going to be tough to stay away from the court.  I don't think I've gone longer than a couple weeks without playing ball since I was in junior high.  Of course, there's a lot less incentive to play when you can't effectively cut or jump. 

eek.gif

How did you do that?

Thanks.  Going to be tough to stay away from the court.  I don't think I've gone longer than a couple weeks without playing ball since I was in junior high.  Of course, there's a lot less incentive to play when you can't effectively cut or jump. 

Well, the results are in. Not good news. Based on the MRI, the doctor says I have a torn ACL and a little bit of damage to the meniscus. I guess I'm a little surprised since I never had any major pain or swelling, but not completely shocked. The doctor wants me to do a couple week of physical therapy to get the swelling down and strengthen the leg, then I'll meet with another doctor about surgery. Oh well. Guess I'm on an extended break from hoops for a while.

Well, the results are in. Not good news. Based on the MRI, the doctor says I have a torn ACL and a little bit of damage to the meniscus. I guess I'm a little surprised since I never had any major pain or swelling, but not completely shocked. The doctor wants me to do a couple week of physical therapy to get the swelling down and strengthen the leg, then I'll meet with another doctor about surgery. Oh well. Guess I'm on an extended break from hoops for a while.

It sucks that you have meniscus damage as well.  Complicates things.  But then again your ACL is only partially torn. 

Best of luck to you man. 

I had a complete ACL tear without meniscus damage in 2003, and my knee feels like it's never been torn now. 

It sucks that you have meniscus damage as well.  Complicates things.  But then again your ACL is only partially torn. 

Best of luck to you man. 

I had a complete ACL tear without meniscus damage in 2003, and my knee feels like it's never been torn now. 

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

I tore my ACL/MCL/PCL all in the same injury playin high school football.

if you didn't hear/feel a distinct "pop" then it's pretty unlikely you suffered a full tear.

get that MRI though bruh, it's best to know for certain and stayin active on a knee with partial damage isn't a good look.

I just tore my MCL/ACL/Meniscus recently and go under the knife in a week. What should I expect from the recovery process?

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

I tore my ACL/MCL/PCL all in the same injury playin high school football.

if you didn't hear/feel a distinct "pop" then it's pretty unlikely you suffered a full tear.

get that MRI though bruh, it's best to know for certain and stayin active on a knee with partial damage isn't a good look.

I just tore my MCL/ACL/Meniscus recently and go under the knife in a week. What should I expect from the recovery process?

I tore my acl 7 years ago. The doctor took the ligament from my hamstring. But try and build your muscle up as much as you can before you have surgery because afterwards from you not using that leg your gonna loose alot of muscle. I couldn't play ball for a year after I tore mine. When i started playing again i had to wear a big brace. Well good luck with your recovery. Plenty of ice and try to straighten your leg as much as you can slowly by slowly. Its gonna hurt like hell.

I tore my acl 7 years ago. The doctor took the ligament from my hamstring. But try and build your muscle up as much as you can before you have surgery because afterwards from you not using that leg your gonna loose alot of muscle. I couldn't play ball for a year after I tore mine. When i started playing again i had to wear a big brace. Well good luck with your recovery. Plenty of ice and try to straighten your leg as much as you can slowly by slowly. Its gonna hurt like hell.

Back
Top Bottom