Anyone Torn a Knee Ligament?

Originally Posted by rube23jr210

I tore my acl 7 years ago. The doctor took the ligament from my hamstring. But try and build your muscle up as much as you can before you have surgery because afterwards from you not using that leg your gonna loose alot of muscle. I couldn't play ball for a year after I tore mine. When i started playing again i had to wear a big brace. Well good luck with your recovery. Plenty of ice and try to straighten your leg as much as you can slowly by slowly. Its gonna hurt like hell.
That sounds right.  My brother tore his ACL back in 1997.  They used a cadaver ligament to repair his leg.  He definitely was out of commission for a while after the surgery.  However, he had the surgery in the fall and was back running track by the spring. 

Originally Posted by rube23jr210

I tore my acl 7 years ago. The doctor took the ligament from my hamstring. But try and build your muscle up as much as you can before you have surgery because afterwards from you not using that leg your gonna loose alot of muscle. I couldn't play ball for a year after I tore mine. When i started playing again i had to wear a big brace. Well good luck with your recovery. Plenty of ice and try to straighten your leg as much as you can slowly by slowly. Its gonna hurt like hell.
That sounds right.  My brother tore his ACL back in 1997.  They used a cadaver ligament to repair his leg.  He definitely was out of commission for a while after the surgery.  However, he had the surgery in the fall and was back running track by the spring. 

man i have sort of the same question ... i was playing ball like 4 weeks ago and i felt my knee give a little but it was a sideways give ... so after i was like damn i messed my knee up a little bit, but didnt take it seriously ... fast forward two weeks later and i actually went and purchased a knee brace lol ... now about 4 weeks from the initial jerk, i'm still having pain ...

the pain is on the inner part of my knee by the joint ... like if you are sitting down and knock your knees together, where the right knee hits the left it hurts like %%$# ... not on the bone exactly but a little further back in the soft part ... last night i woke up with pain all up and down my leg and im wondering if the knee threw everything out of alignment ... any help?

man i have sort of the same question ... i was playing ball like 4 weeks ago and i felt my knee give a little but it was a sideways give ... so after i was like damn i messed my knee up a little bit, but didnt take it seriously ... fast forward two weeks later and i actually went and purchased a knee brace lol ... now about 4 weeks from the initial jerk, i'm still having pain ...

the pain is on the inner part of my knee by the joint ... like if you are sitting down and knock your knees together, where the right knee hits the left it hurts like %%$# ... not on the bone exactly but a little further back in the soft part ... last night i woke up with pain all up and down my leg and im wondering if the knee threw everything out of alignment ... any help?

Slight tears in the LCL and MCL on the right knee.  After resting it for 3 months, I just got those level 3 braces at a sport store and played with that for the next 4 months.  The next month I started playing without it, been playing like that for a bit over a year.  Luckily I didn't need surgery for it.

I hurt one ligament playing basketball and the other snowboarding as I was getting off the lift.  Snowboards without stomp pads are 
30t6p3b.gif
.  Actually made myself buy my own set after that.  I do wear the brace when I snowboard though.  I don't know, I'm still a bit weary about it doing that particular activity.

Slight tears in the LCL and MCL on the right knee.  After resting it for 3 months, I just got those level 3 braces at a sport store and played with that for the next 4 months.  The next month I started playing without it, been playing like that for a bit over a year.  Luckily I didn't need surgery for it.

I hurt one ligament playing basketball and the other snowboarding as I was getting off the lift.  Snowboards without stomp pads are 
30t6p3b.gif
.  Actually made myself buy my own set after that.  I do wear the brace when I snowboard though.  I don't know, I'm still a bit weary about it doing that particular activity.

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

Sorry to say, but what you experienced sounds very similar to what I've been going through.  My knee giving sideways during a basketball game was what made me see a doctor in the first place.  I've also been having recurring pain on the inside of my knee, near the joint.  f course, with what I did, I couldn't even play ball with a big brace.  My knee just felt too unstable.  So maybe you don't have a tear.  But whatever it is, you should get checked out.   

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

Sorry to say, but what you experienced sounds very similar to what I've been going through.  My knee giving sideways during a basketball game was what made me see a doctor in the first place.  I've also been having recurring pain on the inside of my knee, near the joint.  f course, with what I did, I couldn't even play ball with a big brace.  My knee just felt too unstable.  So maybe you don't have a tear.  But whatever it is, you should get checked out.   

i want to get checked out but i was just in the hospital for my head twice, heart once and stomach once ... I'm really not trying to get another radiation zapping telling me that i have a strain and just need to wait 6-8 weeks ... i can walk, run and do everything else but it just flares up sometimes ... i really dont have the need to "cut" anymore and golf season isnt until next summer so hopefully it will be healed by then ... if not, ima be under the knife like my man tiger woo ...

i want to get checked out but i was just in the hospital for my head twice, heart once and stomach once ... I'm really not trying to get another radiation zapping telling me that i have a strain and just need to wait 6-8 weeks ... i can walk, run and do everything else but it just flares up sometimes ... i really dont have the need to "cut" anymore and golf season isnt until next summer so hopefully it will be healed by then ... if not, ima be under the knife like my man tiger woo ...

Hey NT. I might've torn something in my knee as well. It happened two 2 weeks ago when I was playing ball. I heard a popping sound. I couldn't sleep that night because my knee hurt too bad. I needed crutches for a day or two.

I can walk now, but if I bend it too far/awkwardly, it still hurts. It is also still swollen. I need my knee to heal up because I want to go for my daily runs and also hit up the court...

Any help? Should I keep icing it until it heals/gets better?

Hey NT. I might've torn something in my knee as well. It happened two 2 weeks ago when I was playing ball. I heard a popping sound. I couldn't sleep that night because my knee hurt too bad. I needed crutches for a day or two.

I can walk now, but if I bend it too far/awkwardly, it still hurts. It is also still swollen. I need my knee to heal up because I want to go for my daily runs and also hit up the court...

Originally Posted by Fog Raw

Sounds like you did something somewhat serious if your knee still is swollen and painful after two weeks.  You definitely should have it checked out.  In the interim, icing is probably a good idea.  You might also want to take some anti-inflammatory medication like ibuprofen (Advil) to help get the swelling down.  My doctor also recommended that I wear a neoprene knee brace whenever possible.  The warmth and compression help promote healing.  Good luck man.   

Originally Posted by Fog Raw

Sounds like you did something somewhat serious if your knee still is swollen and painful after two weeks.  You definitely should have it checked out.  In the interim, icing is probably a good idea.  You might also want to take some anti-inflammatory medication like ibuprofen (Advil) to help get the swelling down.  My doctor also recommended that I wear a neoprene knee brace whenever possible.  The warmth and compression help promote healing.  Good luck man.   

^^^Here's an update on my situation for anyone interested.

I saw the orthopedic surgeon today and he doesn't think I have a full ACL tear, just a partial tear. So, he said its a toss up whether I should have surgery or not. He said, while knee ligaments don't have much capacity to get better on their own, I could get my knee back to relatively normal by just doing physical therapy. He also said there's a good chance that just physical therapy will not solve the problem. Since I wouldn't have had the ACL surgery until January anyway, I figure I'll give physical therapy a shot and see how it goes.

^^^Here's an update on my situation for anyone interested.

I saw the orthopedic surgeon today and he doesn't think I have a full ACL tear, just a partial tear. So, he said its a toss up whether I should have surgery or not. He said, while knee ligaments don't have much capacity to get better on their own, I could get my knee back to relatively normal by just doing physical therapy. He also said there's a good chance that just physical therapy will not solve the problem. Since I wouldn't have had the ACL surgery until January anyway, I figure I'll give physical therapy a shot and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom