APPLE PRODUCTS NOT THE MOST FEATURES BUT THEY DO STUFF "RIGHT"

kapsi1911

Banned
I think your question really hits the nail on the head, actually. When people buy Apple products, they're almost *always* doing so specifically because they're willing to "pay more for a better UI". And yes, part of that inherently means "fewer features".

Did the iPod become a huge success because it had the "most features for the dollar"? Hardly! It didn't even have a lousy built-in FM radio tuner! The beauty of it, though, was the overall form factor and UI functionality. While China and Korea were cranking out cheap little generic MP3 players with tiny buttons and single line LCD displays, Apple came along with a player that was easy and actually *enjoyable* for people to manipulate. I remember when I first bought a 2nd. generation iPod, I'd hand it to reluctant people who said "I don't know how to use one of these things!" - and within seconds, they'd get a big grin on their face when they realized how that scroll-wheel let them move through the menus. The whole thing just had a "satisfying" feel to operating it, and even to simply holding it in your hand comfortably.

Mac OS X is much the same way. It's a visually satisfying OS, as well as one that most people find relatively "friendly" to use once they give it a chance. If your only (or main) concern is having the most possible options to tweak/modify, then OS X isn't for you. Many aspects of the UI are chosen for you by Apple's designers, and you'll have to buy 3rd. party tools (that often destabilize the system or fail when updates come along) just to force the changes. On the other hand, MOST of us just want an operating system that's stable, looks good out of the box, and does the things we need it to do. OS X seems to accomplish all of this quite well.

I see the iPhone as yet another device in this vein. Some phones really cram in too MANY features, and it just makes the menus hard to navigate. Most cellphone users can't even tell you what some of the options do, or at least how to get to them on their phones. The iPhone does a pretty darn impressive job of making it easy to access the things you really might want to use on your phone, while leaving out a lot of the confusion. (EG. If I want to call forward my number to another number, I don't have to to remember that my carrier uses * and some 2 digit code to turn forwarding on, and another such code to turn it back off. I simply tap the "Call forward" option on the iPhone menu and key in the destination number for it. I then slide the switch to either "On" or "Off" and it's done.) And obviously, the web browsing experience blows away most of the competition. It's the first of many "Smartphones" I've had where I can surf "normal" web sites and actually read the content properly.
I'm on both sides. I used to hate Apple for the same reasons that you prefer non-Apple products: I like to feel like I have control and figure out how things work, etc. However I got a Macbook Pro for school to go with my PC I've had for ages. The fact is, I don't use my PC anymore because as much as like messing with things, I'd rather they work 99% of the time and I'm willing to sacrifice the nerdiness and wasted time getting things to work in order to successfully use my comp when I need to. Of course, I was running XP but I cannot deal with it any more. I was trying to use it again yesterday, I don't know how I used Windows for my whole life until now.
You can call Apple hypebeast machines, form over function devices, overpriced, or whateverelse you want to, but fact remains for the most part Apple products just does things right. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but the one of thebest blends of hardware and software that you can find. I own a MacBook Pro and a iPhone, and I'm still amazed at the synergy of their products.

I WAS an Apple hater for the longest time, that's until I decided to give them a try. I honestly cannot even conceiveowning any other notebook besides a Mac. Try them out and watch how many "wow it does that?" moments your gonna have.

Now let the stonefacing and jpegs begin.

I really enjoy my iPhone but I'm still wondering why you're posting this? Do a lot of people not like Apple or something? It just seems a bit random.

I love ipods and iphones, but I am scared to switch to an apple computer. I am scared that I won't know how to use it or it won't be compatible withwhat I need to do.

What the hell does more people searching Google on an iPhone have to do with what's better...???
laugh.gif

Who sold more means nothing. Vizio televisions outsells Sony television sets, and you and I both know the Sony television are better than Vizio's. You doknow the main reason iPhones are so hyped and popular is because they're simply made by Apple, right?

vizio television are cheaper than sony sets and they sell more for that reason. the iphone is more expensive than most smartphones and still manages to sellmore than any other kind COMBINED. nice try there bud.

"You do know the main reason iPhones are so hyped and popular is because they're simply made by Apple, right?" why don't you back up yourclaims with research or articles? your opinion is worthless to me.

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Who sold more means nothing. Vizio televisions outsells Sony television sets, and you and I both know the Sony television are better than Vizio's. You do know the main reason iPhones are so hyped and popular is because they're simply made by Apple, right?

Can't you say the same for Jordans?

When the iPhone first came out, it was about $600, right? And yet, they still managed to sell a lot. You know why? It's because they're made by APPLE,not based on specs or anything. Oh and by the way, iPhones start off at about $400 now, about that price for a smartphone, so nice try there, bud. The point isthat what sells more doesn't mean what's better.

iphone 16gb - 499 w/ 2 year contract
iphone 8gb - 399 w/ 2 year contract
blackberry curve - 149 w/2 year contract
HTC tilt - 299 w/ 2 year contract

from wireless.att.com

look at this apple lame. thats why people get turned off by macs and amc users.

omg i own a mac. i can view the internet, can you?

cosign. aint nobody paying me i aint advertising for em.

its like an 360 vs ps3 post.
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom