Are asians on the come up in terms of the opposite sex?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

To many black people
All Asians are Chinese
All people of Latin Decent are SPanish
Every non North American black is African
Im not following. What does this have to with the thread?

Originally Posted by snaggykicks

Why do all asians get mad when u call them asians and not exactly what they are i mean...its obvious why other races do so same goes for everyone else just find asians are more touchy on this
My comment was in reference to this post.

Funny, I asked Dirty this question. I asked why Filipinos don't embrace their Asian background and want to be viewed as Pac. Islanders. Does anyone have the historical background on this disassociation?

Originally Posted by snaggykicks

Why do all asians get mad when u call them asians and not exactly what they are i mean...its obvious why other races do so same goes for everyone else just find asians are more touchy on this
My comment was in reference to this post.

Funny, I asked Dirty this question. I asked why Filipinos don't embrace their Asian background and want to be viewed as Pac. Islanders. Does anyone have the historical background on this disassociation?

Well, a lot of my fellow Filipinos in America are confused with our history, probably because they never really looked into it, and only saw minor mentions in US history books. Magellan is said to have discovered the Philippines, but there were many people from Southeast Asia and East Asia, especially Chinese, that were already here. Spain colonized it for a little more than 300 years. This is where the confusion starts. Many think we have a lot of Spanish blood in us, but in actuality, probably only 3% do, and those numbers are dwindling. This whole notion that the Spanish raped our gene pool is false. They only wed amongst themselves or the ruling royalty of the Philippines. They forced Spanish last names on us, but many kept their Malay or Chinese last names.

Spain used the Chinese to help build the colonial infrastructure. Soon many Chinese immigrated to the Philippines, and they soon outnumbered the Spanish. Spain saw them as a threat and blocked their immigration. They also carried out massacres, killing thousands. When the US took control, they suspended Chinese immigration to the Philippines. Once we got control of our country, we passed a law that stated that the Chinese residents were an alien population and were not allowed to be citizens. With no options, the Chinese were forced to become merchants in the Philippines. They soon dominated the food and grain industry, but their dominance was taken away by nationalizing the industry in the name of the "true Philippine people". Politics became about Filipino nationalism, and being anti-Chinese was a constant theme.

I guess heavy Western influences and colonization, coupled with decades of anti-Chinese sentiments, and the atrocities committed by the Japanese during WWII, made a lot of us not embrace our Asian background, but that's my opinion
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Je Ne Sais Quoi

Well, a lot of my fellow Filipinos in America are confused with our history, probably because they never really looked into it, and only saw minor mentions in US history books. Magellan is said to have discovered the Philippines, but there were many people from Southeast Asia and East Asia, especially Chinese, that were already here. Spain colonized it for a little more than 300 years. This is where the confusion starts. Many think we have a lot of Spanish blood in us, but in actuality, probably only 3% do, and those numbers are dwindling. This whole notion that the Spanish raped our gene pool is false. They only wed amongst themselves or the ruling royalty of the Philippines. They forced Spanish last names on us, but many kept their Malay or Chinese last names.

Spain used the Chinese to help build the colonial infrastructure. Soon many Chinese immigrated to the Philippines, and they soon outnumbered the Spanish. Spain saw them as a threat and blocked their immigration. They also carried out massacres, killing thousands. When the US took control, they suspended Chinese immigration to the Philippines. Once we got control of our country, we passed a law that stated that the Chinese residents were an alien population and were not allowed to be citizens. With no options, the Chinese were forced to become merchants in the Philippines. They soon dominated the food and grain industry, but their dominance was taken away by nationalizing the industry in the name of the "true Philippine people". Politics became about Filipino nationalism, and being anti-Chinese was a constant theme.

I guess heavy Western influences and colonization, coupled with decades of anti-Chinese sentiments, and the atrocities committed by the Japanese during WWII, made a lot of us not embrace our Asian background, but that's my opinion
ohwell.gif
Where can I read up on more of this?

I'm filipino and I do agree that we're asian.  But really, the islanders in micronesia and polynesia migrated from southeast asia into the uninhabited islands, so I guess you could say all islanders have some type of asian gene in them.

But back on topic, I don't have any problems getting girls outside of my ethnicity, but I'm mixed (less than half filipino) and I noticed it's mostly the mixed ones that don't have any problems either.  The only Filipinos in high school messing with a filipino/asian girl were the full blooded ones.  They hated on me because I was able to diversify my portfolio.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by knightlovesqueen

nah its pretty easy. my one and only filipina was my first gf in 8th grade. then hs was whites. college colombians and portuguese. now its mostly hispanic. peruvians an d what not.

i dont get the big deal of being asian and supposedly being unable to bag nonasians. its not that hard
Doesn't Portuguese count as white? Not trying to start anything, but that was something I always wondered if they were considered white or hispanic/latino. According to the internet they're white.

Originally Posted by Je Ne Sais Quoi

ohwell.gif
Je Nais, you made some good points let me add on to what I know...
1) "Filipinos in America" are confused about our history because of certain things that we have addressed in this thread. As you can see there was a mention about the ethnic background of Filipinos being marked separately in a box. You can date this when it was first addressed in the early years of the SAT development and how it developed the acceptance of college students in Ivy/ Private/ Top Public Universities. Originally, a lot of the Filipinos didn't do so well on the exams and in order for them to take full advantage of "Affirmative Action" a lot of Filipinos marked themselves as "Pacific Islander" to be considered for admissions in a lot of those colleges. While at the "Flipside" (hah!) a lot of elementary and middle school students we're doing above and beyond the National State standard (at the time when I took the test in Cali it was called the STAR---> SAT 9). Which prompted a lot of school districts and counties in California to measure the aptitude of Filipinos separately beginning in 1991 and then progressively 15 years later 2006 (saw the progression of marking in the box... Asian--> Asian/Asian American---> Asian/Asian Pacific Islander---> Filipino).

2) The Chinese (and Aboriginese Malaysians as Indios aka Indians known to the Spaniards) were in the Philippines long before the history was well documented with the involvement of the Spaniards, pre- Ferdinand Magellan. Originally, Philippines didn't have a set name for the country because as most Filipinos would know. It wasn't until the landing of Magellan and other Christian missionaries came to "preach the Good news of the Lord." Which in fact he proclaim this place King Philip's land aka The Philippines. As for the influx of mixing with the Spaniards it was estimated to be only 5-10% of the country (not enough of a claim for everyone to be Spaniard).The Chinese were in the area approximately in the 15th century considering the first couple of Chinese merchants/person(s) also dubbed the central capital island of the Philippines as Luzon (or Lu Zhong which is The middle green land or green middle island to be precise). You can also say this also brought about the phrase of the Philippines being the Pearl of the Orient seeing as we were the furthest east before anyone even stepped into the rest of the Asian Rim.

3) That wasn't the only act of massacres Spain committed (besides the one mentioned with the Chinese) but even shortly after landing with Magellan and few other missionaries. There was a surname proclamation for which King Philip dubbed treason for any of those Filipino families who refused to convert to the Spaniard surname conversion and massacre their families and communities. Therefore, it is commonly mistaken for a lot of folks (including other Asians) also assume "they're part Spaniard/Latino" based on the obvious namesake. Also a lot of Chinese influence also played a major part in the distribution surnames being established given that one or two families that combined in the Philippines (be it married to the aboriginese or other Chinese-Filipino families) would then have something for example: (Yu family would marry Cheng family member and create Yuchengco). You can also speculate because many of the descendants of these Asian families who traveled/resided within Central and South America (Oaxacans as well as various Brazilians/Peruvians Asians who settled in the area).

4) The Population breakdown of the Philippines started as much of the Aboriginese Malaysians (80%) migrated to the Islands several centuries prior to everyone else colonizing and trading with the locals. Much of the Southern Region (high Muslamic influence) has that feel of what the original Filipinos were like, very influenced within the Southeastern borders. However those in the west, central, and eastern parts were more so taken in by those of China, Vietnam, Japan and others. The northern regions (which I'm still researching into) has tribes called Negritos (which you can Hypothesize a lot of those from India, Burma, and other parts of Southeast Asia from their western borders, migrated to the mountain areas over time). The rest is due in part of colonialization and modernization (Spaniards, Caucausoid Americans, Australians, Germans, Asian Indians, Koreans, and everyone else who's smashed a Filipino; man or woman). Also sorry to disappoint those who consider themselves "Pacific Islander" but even after researching for the past eight years. I still have found no direct connection or influence of the original Pacific Islander population (Samoans, Tongans, Fijians, and everyone else in Micronesia) or commonality in diet, culture, and/or religion that played a role in the history of the Philippines.

laugh.gif
You Filipinos just need to accept the fact that you're Asian. I'm Japanese and geographically, we can consider ourselves "Pacific Islanders" as well...But @@** that noise. Asian > Pacific Islander.

Originally Posted by ikari XD

Originally Posted by CWrite78

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

^SF>LA

I love SF. Huge 9er fan, and the city is really nice.

But I could never leave LA. It's just too awesome. I got a cousin going to UC Berkeley tho, so I'll go visit her/the city once in awhile.

i'm way ahead of you bro.

you're joining the fam
nerd.gif
?

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

thanks for dropping that knowledge. even i didn't know that much and i grew up in the Philippines. and growing up, we were never taught we were "Pacific Islanders", we were always taught that we're Asians so I never really knew where all the buzz of claiming that came from.

and as far as i know, the Filipino box in forms are mostly in Cali

I'm Asian and i get all types of pokemons!
laugh.gif
I gotta catch'em all!
-It is all about game, who cares what race your are! I'm like the United nations over here
pimp.gif

-Plus I'm far from the sterotypes claiming
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by scshift

nah its pretty easy. my one and only filipina was my first gf in 8th grade. then hs was whites. college colombians and portuguese. now its mostly hispanic. peruvians an d what not.

i dont get the big deal of being asian and supposedly being unable to bag nonasians. its not that hard
Doesn't Portuguese count as white? Not trying to start anything, but that was something I always wondered if they were considered white or hispanic/latino. According to the internet they're white.
they're euro, iberian peninsula in general for the win...spaniard and portuguese chicks ftw.

i guess i used the term white in my earlier post out of context my bad

and lol at the debating in here.

Originally Posted by dont be a menace

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

thanks for dropping that knowledge. even i didn't know that much and i grew up in the Philippines. and growing up, we were never taught we were "Pacific Islanders", we were always taught that we're Asians so I never really knew where all the buzz of claiming that came from.

and as far as i know, the Filipino box in forms are mostly in Cali

It's all good, just trying to share and speak out. That's exactly what I mean. Filipinos in the Philippines consider themselves Asians but a lot of them over here in the U.S. got a super "identity crisis" when it comes to properly identifying themselves due to all the politics and confusion. It's really difficult being in the minority when it comes to this type of perspective, but I'm glad more people are educated on the issue now.

You asked a pretty pointless question, OP. Asian's have always been talented and up there with anyone with almost everything (except in the media and sports/professional Asian-American athletes).

Hollywood and pop culture in general is afraid to venture outside of the box when it comes to us. To be honest, I don't even mind. The media doesn't have any influence on me... The media pretty much reinforces all the stereotypes and forces everyone else to believe we're timid, soft-spoken, Kung-Fu fighting nerds that lack sex appeal.

I still feel we're a very under-appreciated and misunderstood race within America...

Most of the Asian dudes who are unsuccessful when it comes to dating outside their race stick too much to their traditional Asian values... As long as you're outgoing, confident, outspoken, fun, reasonably good looking and not shy to approach different women, you will have no problem with chicks of any ethnicity. OP, It's a stupid question to ask IMO, you're just forcing yourself to believe in the stereotypes.

Oh and to the Filipinos who don't want to claim themselves as Asian... that's fine and I fully understand. The Philippines is not far from a third world country so y'all can keep your "Pacific Islander" tag.

Originally Posted by scshift

they're euro, iberian peninsula in general for the win...spaniard and portuguese chicks ftw.

i guess i used the term white in my earlier post out of context my bad

and lol at the debating in here.
pimp.gif
yes

Back
Top Bottom