Are we really going to let this go? Overturning a backcourt violation. VOL: Kevin Durant.

For a violation to occur, both feet and the ball must be established in the frontcourt and then go to the backcourt. In this instance, KD's left foot was on the line when he caught the ball, so he didn't establish position in the front court. Therefore, no violation.

For a violation to occur, both feet and the ball must be established in the frontcourt and then go to the backcourt. In this instance, KD's left foot was on the line when he caught the ball, so he didn't establish position in the front court. Therefore, no violation.

c. A ball being held by a player: (1) is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt, (2) is in the backcourt if either the ball or player is touching the backcourt.

It's a judgment call whether you want to say he had possession or not before he stepped on the line.

But you don't have to step over the line, only have the smallest smidgen of your foot on it, not even cross it, right?

Same with a three point field goal, if your toe is on the line, it's a 2.

Originally Posted by joegolfdad

I have no idea how they overturned it, but it wasn't a backcourt, his foot never crossed the line

this

Originally Posted by joegolfdad

I have no idea how they overturned it, but it wasn't a backcourt, his foot never crossed the line

this

c. A ball being held by a player: (1) is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt, (2) is in the backcourt if either the ball or player is touching the backcourt.

It's a judgment call whether you want to say he had possession or not before he stepped on the line.

But you don't have to step over the line, only have the smallest smidgen of your foot on it, not even cross it, right?

Same with a three point field goal, if your toe is on the line, it's a 2.

Both feet weren't established? On the replay I knew one foot was, one foot was close, and then on his dribble his foot touched the line. I could be wrong though.

But either way, whether the call was right or not, how can you overturn that?
nerd.gif

Both feet weren't established? On the replay I knew one foot was, one foot was close, and then on his dribble his foot touched the line. I could be wrong though.

But either way, whether the call was right or not, how can you overturn that?
nerd.gif

I'm with JA on this. How does the one furthest from the play overturn the call? I didn't get it either when I was watching it live.

I'm with JA on this. How does the one furthest from the play overturn the call? I didn't get it either when I was watching it live.

I see...

I just watched replay on Inside the NBA.

He caught the ball AND had his foot on the line virtually at the same time, he hadn't established possession before that, and that's when the ref blew the whistle.

It's still mad sketchy that the BASELINE ref overturned it, and then they went to review.

It seems like it wasn't a backcourt violation, as he caught the ball and was in the back-court at the same time, looks like (thus, can't go and have a backcourt violation if you're still in the backcourt when you catch the ball).

Anyone that wants to re-watch it in HQ.. http://www.nba.com/insidethenba/

Go to April 27th, and watch first 4 minutes of the show.

It's still mad sketchy that the ref furthest from the play overruled it, and went to review, but it was the right call.

I see...

I just watched replay on Inside the NBA.

He caught the ball AND had his foot on the line virtually at the same time, he hadn't established possession before that, and that's when the ref blew the whistle.

It's still mad sketchy that the BASELINE ref overturned it, and then they went to review.

It seems like it wasn't a backcourt violation, as he caught the ball and was in the back-court at the same time, looks like (thus, can't go and have a backcourt violation if you're still in the backcourt when you catch the ball).

Anyone that wants to re-watch it in HQ.. http://www.nba.com/insidethenba/

Go to April 27th, and watch first 4 minutes of the show.

It's still mad sketchy that the ref furthest from the play overruled it, and went to review, but it was the right call.

Originally Posted by PMatic

So basically what I said.
laugh.gif
Was harder to comprehend without watching the video, I started the post without seeing the vid up-close and many times over.

Originally Posted by PMatic

So basically what I said.
laugh.gif
Was harder to comprehend without watching the video, I started the post without seeing the vid up-close and many times over.

Back
Top Bottom