ART DISCUSSION: What is art? Who/what inspires you?

114_1.jpg

Looks like it was inspired by the Life of Pi

Life-of-Pi.jpg

Originally Posted by nocomment6

WHo's in the second picture, can't make out his face. Picasso?

Yes it is Picasso. He was drawing a vase with flowers in it.
Here is another one from that same issue of Life. This one he drew a Centaur.

centar.jpg

I love Rilke.

His pieces are astounding. I have to read the book he wrote about Rodin.

@juggy, aham, nice pictures. In addition to those there's a whole documentary were they filmed him face-on during work, by using a transparent canvas.

Can anyone recommend any galleries in Chicago beyond the Art Institute and the MOCA? I would love to see some of the smaller galleries around town but don't have a clue where to start.

Ladies and gentleman, the vipartfair has begun. You only have to register on the website, vipartfair.com and you can view all the pieces available for purchase. Pretty much all prominent galleries are exhibiting, from White Cube to the Gagosian. Amazing high quality pictures are available.

Nocomment6: thanks for the link! Will be checking some of those out very soon...I also registered on vipartfair...thanks again.

Also check out 1xrun.com for those interested in buying some (sometimes) good, affordable, signed prints...

Yeah, it's really great that you can view all the works online.

I'm just trying to get my funds right to purchase 1-2 Vasarely prints, from auctions. The best and most beautiful investment.

I was watching an old episode of Entourage last night, in it they were talking about an artist called Robert Niche, I haven't heard of him(which doesn't mean too much...), but I couldn't find any information on him via the internet. Is he fictional, or not? Anyone have any information? Thanks.

Can anyone put me on some contemporary artists who paint primarily portraits of other people?

Gerhard Richter - amazing painter. paints in a lot of different styles. so skilled
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 Here are some of his paintings:
hppic1.jpg

gilgeo.jpg

1-Richter-Portrait-of-Liz-Kertelge.jpg

gerhardrichter_self.jpeg

gerhard-richter-05.preview.JPG

gerhard_richter_kerze.jpg

Gerhard_Richter.jpg

Gerhard%20Richter%20Strich.JPG

he does a lot more than just that work. I suggest checking out a big art book of his in an art library or, if you are lucky, a painting of his in person 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Just wrapped another painting. I'm not sure if I'm entirely done... I may do something to the background. This is the largest painting I have done yet. 48" x 72" oil on canvas. Continuing my exploration of disconnect.

tumblr_lzm0l9YOqJ1qhrf27

Originally Posted by Smedroc

Got Tomer Hanukas book 'Overkill' today... Having prints to hand is way better than gawking at his illustrations online
pimp.gif

I always think how i should get back to sketching when i see his work. His use of colour, the compositions, the lines... @$@% is just fire.

Some of his work:

114_1.jpg

My type of art.

I'll make a contribution to this thread later.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Just wrapped another painting. I'm not sure if I'm entirely done... I may do something to the background. This is the largest painting I have done yet. 48" x 72" oil on canvas. Continuing my exploration of disconnect.

tumblr_lzm0l9YOqJ1qhrf27
nice stuff, congrats. I love the blue-carmine contrast.
Check out a Hungarian painter you may like, Tihanyi Lajos. A bit more cubistical, but amazing skills.

F1.medium.jpg

I like his work. Different, but I can see why you'd recommend.

I showed my work to someone else and they said it reminded them of Tamara de Limpicka

de-lempicka-tamara-autoportrait-7000949.jpg

I can also see it a bit.

I'm submitting a couple of my paintings into a student exhibition... I hope I get picked to exhibit work. It would be my first time showing.

Back
Top Bottom