Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Where I'm from. A lot of us Filipino - Americans don't associate with Filipino-fobs.

Is this true in your area ?

LOL, what. Fil-Ams are corny as hell to me. I don't even like hanging out with them. They're the type of people who are embarrassed to step in a Seafood City because it stinks and everyone speaks Tagalog, i hate those Fil-Ams.

I thought filipinos consider themselves pacific islanders

:nerd:

Depends on who you ask. Goes hand in hand. But to my recent post. You don't see a lot of Fil-am that want to learn their native language. In the Philippines there really is no language barrier is you speak English and only English.

I found that some immigrant parents (with regard to Filipinos) to the United States tend to focus on English, maybe as a result of historical US occupation after WW2 and the crazy adaptations that the Philippines has undergone to sort of parallel the US. Even today the Philippines is rife with bi-lingual Filipinos making it a hot spot for english-speaking students.

my mom wasn't having any of that though so i learned Tagalog growing up :lol:

LOL, what. Fil-Ams are corny as hell to me. I don't even like hanging out with them. They're the type of people who are embarrassed to step in a Seafood City because it stinks and everyone speaks Tagalog, i hate those Fil-Ams.
you sound mad. sterotyping all fil-ams like that is just stupid and vice versa

matter of fact the labeling of fil-ams and fob's is ridiculous.

must be a cali thing.

I really hope people don't read that kids nonsense and generalize all Filipinos to be that idiotic

I legit felt brain cells dying reading that moronic dissertation of self hate

He said us lmao. Us! Like dude got a frog in his back pocket

How do I pronounce the Japanese last name Inoue

Is it

A. in - uh - way

or

B. I - noy (like roy)

Or are those two things the same sound?

I love Filipino females, but is it just me or do they not age well?

This is from my own experience / observation unless I'm missing out on Cali Filipino girls.

^
It really depends. Some of my friends' moms are cute. Saw this Filipina cougar at marshall's last week too.

Do they not age well because they are of that Ethnicity or is it because they are of that Ethnicity AND in that Cali sun year round?

Where I'm from. A lot of us Filipino - Americans don't associate with Filipino-fobs.

Is this true in your area ?

And the person or group that complains usually look like my effing maids. Smgdh.

Swear we've had this debate in the other pages but I used to be like this when I was young. Now that I've grown up and understand both sides I appreciate all my people's and my people's people :pimp:

I hate people who are embarrassed about their culture and language. Self hate is one of the things I can't stand in people.

Saying that, I got a question for us Asian Americans, Can y'all mess with a FOB chick though? The only thing holding me back is the accent, it mentally reminds me of my mom and aunts and ishh when speak they speak English :x

She's pretty bad, Taiwanese chick my friend knows from back home that came to vacation. No pics but I might do it :evil:

What's wrong with maids, man?
Swear we've had this debate in the other pages but I used to be like this when I was young. Now that I've grown up and understand both sides I appreciate all my people's and my people's people :pimp:

I hate people who are embarrassed about their culture and language. Self hate is one of the things I can't stand in people.

Saying that, I got a question for us Asian Americans, Can y'all mess with a FOB chick though? The only thing holding me back is the accent, it mentally reminds me of my mom and aunts and ishh when speak they speak English :x

She's pretty bad, Taiwanese chick my friend knows from back home that came to vacation. No pics but I might do it :evil:

Maybe i shouldn't have generalized the whole Fil-Am, but there are a lot of Fil-Am's like that and it just pisses me off when i see it. Hell, i call out my friends when they do it, :smh:

I was born and raised in the Philippines and moved to Cali when i was 10, so i can kind of understand both sides because i was once a FOB living in the US and now that i'm 24, i get why they act like that. It just makes me mad when they act high and mighty and embarrassed about the Filipino culture and our people.

What's wrong with maids, man?
Maybe i shouldn't have generalized the whole Fil-Am, but there are a lot of Fil-Am's like that and it just pisses me off when i see it. Hell, i call out my friends when they do it, :smh:

I was born and raised in the Philippines and moved to Cali when i was 10, so i can kind of understand both sides because i was once a FOB living in the US and now that i'm 24, i get why they act like that. It just makes me mad when they act high and mighty and embarrassed about the Filipino culture and our people.

Yeah definitely. I had plenty of times when I gave FOBs the cold shoulder but I learned and I feel you on that. I'm a first generation American and that's not far from FOBs either. I had to adjust to American culture myself too. I'm glad I surrounded myself with people from all walks of life back in High School. It definitely broadened my mind and views on a lot of things in the world and definitely made me less judge mental of people in general.

These days, I try to be more open to FOBs (whether they're Fil-Am or another race). I'm actually a little concerned that they assimilate well here in the states in a safe manner. You hear all these horror stories about exchange Chinese students coming here and getting bullied, or worse, getting killed.

Then there are other instances where in some ways I can't think of, but I know is a possibility, is that they are taken advantage of/scammed by others (or worse, by they're own people.)

It all comes down to being open to other cultures, learning something from them and hopefully from that, you can gain a new perspective on things.

Don't know if right thread for this. But thought I'd share

My cousin who's a boy just came here from Vietnam two weeks ago. He's gay, he wears make up, he's 16, and he's a "fob". He's starting school in a week and I told him expect to be picked on. Mad respect to "fobs". Going to a new country not knowing the language and learning everything all over again is tough man

Don't know if right thread for this. But thought I'd share

My cousin who's a boy just came here from Vietnam two weeks ago. He's gay, he wears make up, he's 16, and he's a "fob". He's starting school in a week and I told him expect to be picked on. Mad respect to "fobs". Going to a new country not knowing the language and learning everything all over again is tough man
Yea dude has like 3 different targets on his back. Good luck to him

Back
Top Bottom