Ask the Barber

A ceasar cut usually take 5-10 min, the shape up is what takes longer. Thats what defines the cut is the shape-up so in order to learn how to shape up it practice, practice, practice.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

I've been cutting my own hair semi regularly for a couple of years now and I still can't line myself up as straight as my barber.

Don't just tell me practice, I've been doing that. What's the technique? I also just replaced the blades on my Andis.

You have to look at your forehead, and find out which side is your low and high side.
Everyone's forehead slants just a little so on one side your line up/edge up is picked up just a little more.

Also, I do a lot of flicking the wrist. 

I don't just run the blade to make that crisp line straight across, jab at it a little. 

I always start from the middle too, hope that helps.

Good thread....

Ive been cutting my own hair for almost 10 years and have gotten pretty good at doing my fade, shaping up and beard over the years.....Right now I use a Andis Fade Master and Outliner 2

I had my boy who is a barber who just opened his own shop give me a cut the other day and he definitely showed me a few pointers that I was missing to make my cuts sharper.... after seeing how he used the T Outliner to give me a crispier line I decided to order one ( although Im sure its also crispier because hes simply more skilled then me and also my Outliner 2 is old as hell now)

so i cut my hair with the improved masters yesterday. pretty dope. its a new clipper so i gotta break it in. and the guards. i'm pleased tho. came out crisp. went slightly open all over with the 1/16 guard on. taped the sides slightly and the back. lined it up with the wahl 5 detailer.

Originally Posted by MrYoungMoney

Originally Posted by M4rioL

haven't been to the barber in years, so excuse the ignorance. can I get a back of the head/ear taper length 5 just by itself? do i have to pay same cost of a normal haircut since I just want the lower back of my head? dont want to sound cheap but yeah

General rule in being a barber, if the clippers touch your head it's a haircut. 
Whatever the price may be from $12-$25... 

Trust me, it's not just take a little off top. 

We're going to line you up if you're getting a taper, clean up your neck hair, use product be it gel, powder, etc... 

Also spend our time blending/fading in the lines. 

Because you getting a 5 by it's self does NOT equal a taper. 

That equal's a even all over/college cut. 

A taper is when the hair gradually get's longer.

IF you get a 5, we have to use different guards to blend in the 4, 3, 2, 1, and 0/baldness. 

Along with leaving no lines/bulks of hair. 
thanks. reason I ask is that I pretty much have the top of the head of what's in the spoiler but i would the sides. i've been doing my hair for the longest if that matters. and the back im guessing would be a ...?
Spoiler [+]
RmBQv.jpg
ninjahood size but it had to be.

I've been cutting my own hair semi regularly for a couple of years now and I still can't line myself up as straight as my barber.

Don't just tell me practice, I've been doing that. What's the technique? I also just replaced the blades on my Andis.

You have to look at your forehead, and find out which side is your low and high side.
Everyone's forehead slants just a little so on one side your line up/edge up is picked up just a little more.

Also, I do a lot of flicking the wrist. 

I don't just run the blade to make that crisp line straight across, jab at it a little. 

I always start from the middle too, hope that helps.
appreciate the info man
pimp.gif

Tips for growing a beard? All I have is a mini freeway chin joint and sideburns down to my lower ear. Bits are hair are starting to grow on my cheecks but its taking forever.

Dont tell me to put egg on my face before I go to sleep b

Originally Posted by KMante

Originally Posted by whyte1der05five

You just go with the grain on waves ... its really not hard.

This is correct, don't go against the grain! 
I've done both and as long as your waves are really good and set in, there is no real difference besides hair evenness. 
pimp.gif
hecks yea, ive never had a barber go with the grain and my waves boom after i get a haircut but when i was my hair they go away. . . . why is that? i dont even get low cuts anymore but i lose my waves

Originally Posted by ME NO PASS

Originally Posted by MartianRefugee

Black%20Man%20Natural%20Hair%20Style,%20black.jpg

so i want my hair to look like that i mean texture and everything
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
that is a good look but i prefer keeping my hair short, the only long hairstyle i would get is some Beyonce or Ciara stuff

Originally Posted by Krispy Klean

What can I do to get rid of razor bumps? I use the powder magic shave but that doesn't work either.

Change Your Razor , Try different Creams and after shave and so on. Everyones skin type is different , So keep looking until you find some thing that works.

Originally Posted by iHust1e

Tips for growing a beard? All I have is a mini freeway chin joint and sideburns down to my lower ear. Bits are hair are starting to grow on my cheecks but its taking forever.

the only thing you can do is wait , and maybe it will fill in , I'm sure if there was something Paul Pierce would be all over it . 

Do you do one side better then the other , cause your skills might be there , Use more mirrors, so you can see the other side better . 

Originally Posted by Crystal Springs

How would you fix Childish Gambino/ Donald Glover's hairline....perhaps suggest a different hairstyle?
http://youritlist.com/wp-...h-19446580-500-40912.jpg

I feel for you man , Its always hard to work with hairlines like that . I think what you got going on right now works , if its broke don't fix , Also be happy you got all that hair and not worring about how to hide you thinning hairline.
happy.gif

Originally Posted by frankl1001

recommend an Asian male, with course hair, a professional haircut for the office
Tell you barber ... 2 all around w/ with a low tight skin fade tape up . and let me know how that works out . 

Originally Posted by BarberJay

Originally Posted by iHust1e

the only thing you can do is wait , and maybe it will fill in , I'm sure if there was something Paul Pierce would be all over it . 

My friends call me Pierce too  
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

This thread >>>>>>>>>>>

this thread is making me want to learn to shape my own bread up

saving that 10 a week would be useful

plus i would be able to keep that ill shape up

any tips on shaping yourself up

the scariest part is messing with the hair line

so can yall list the starter kit i should get

i know yall said to grab the Andis T-Outliner 2

what else...

products to clean them?

after shave type %@!*?

This thread makes me wanna cut my own hair, save some dough
laugh.gif

Odd question, but are there any foods that can halt or stunt hair growth at all? I HATE it when the sides of my head are even a tad long, and my hair grows faster than a damn forest.

Originally Posted by datpiff110

so can yall list the starter kit i should get

i know yall said to grab the Andis T-Outliner 2

what else...

products to clean them?

after shave type %@!*?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by FOG

Odd question, but are there any foods that can halt or stunt hair growth at all? I HATE it when the sides of my head are even a tad long, and my hair grows faster than a damn forest.
I don't think there's anything that'll make your hair grow slower.  Maybe if you have a really unhealthy lifestyle.  Try getting the sides cut shorter.  My hair grows really fast too.  I told my barber to start using a 1 for the sides and back.

Back
Top Bottom