Ask the Barber

I have a little dilemma. I like my barber, hes a cool dude from Montenegro. But it seems he doesnt know how to do the tape up that I want. The type of tape up he does give me looks good though. But I want something like...well I hate to use this tool as an example but I didnt know what to google or who to google for a picture.

sammi_ronnie_kissing_04_wen.jpg

Tapeup is usually only the sideburns and back faded up right? Like Ronnie's. My barber does the sideburns, back, but then he cuts up with a comb/clipper slightly in the area behind my ears. I dont know hot to explain it, but should I tell him to give me a 5 or 6 all around, and skin tape up ONLY the sideburns and back? Not to touch that area inbetween?

Hes given me THAT haircut ONLY once and I dont know why he cant do it again.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by spacerace

so i recently got my hair cut a couple of days ago ( use to have a large, curly, frohawk) to a smaller mohawk.

consequently, this lead to my hair being straighter than i remembered.

i actually like this straight hair but im wondering if it's only temporary?

would there be anyway to maintain it?

thanks in advance.
I need to get my hair like this as well it's all curly right now.

Originally Posted by taymane23

Originally Posted by spacerace

so i recently got my hair cut a couple of days ago ( use to have a large, curly, frohawk) to a smaller mohawk.

consequently, this lead to my hair being straighter than i remembered.

i actually like this straight hair but im wondering if it's only temporary?

would there be anyway to maintain it?

thanks in advance.
I need to get my hair like this as well it's all curly right now.

its only temporary, your hair isn't used to that length being the "end" of the strand. i used to have long hair and when i got it chopped down it looked like that for 1-2 weeks then things got back to normal.

I have $120 to spend on equipment to cut my own hair. So I'm assuming I can only buy one clipper? Which should it be? 

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

I have $120 to spend on equipment to cut my own hair. So I'm assuming I can only buy one clipper? Which should it be? 

Depends on what you're trying to do?
Regular even all overs, or some fades/tapers?

Originally Posted by MrYoungMoney

Fades and tapers. what do you recommend?

Thanks

Originally Posted by miamib30514

Do you adjust your Andis outliners any special way?

I have a brand new one that I don't use because i adjusted them too sharp awhile back.

Yes, they're just like teeth.
You can't have a over-bite, and not having them set close enough won't get those super fine/crisp line ups or tapers. 

I use a blade setter, 'cause doing them by the eye can get difficult... 

Blade setter? I used a youtube vid lol

also looking for a clipper just to do an even all over. usually go with an 8

not looking to spend alot on something fancy. my old one i picked up at costco and it needs to be replaced

Dope thread, however it reminds me how much money I spend on cuts in a month. I know my barber loves me...smfh

Originally Posted by CJDynasty

Dope thread, however it reminds me how much money I spend on cuts in a month. I know my barber loves me...smfh

ohwell.gif
I know right. The fact that my hair line grows back in 15 hours doesn't help
30t6p3b.gif

Thanks

Wahl Seniors or Andi's Master, you can maybe catch 'em on sale.
Google Sally's, and if you drive by "Beauty Supply" stores don't be ashamed to walk in there.

They carry clippers at cheaper prices.

On sale: http://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-clipper/WAHL06,default,pd.html?cgid=Men05

Maybe you can get some Outliners too (On sale): http://www.sallybeauty.com/outliner-trimmer/SBS-395005,default,pd.html?cgid=Men05

But, you will need to buy these guards for the Wahl's: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Cutting-Combs/SBS-785170,default,pd.html?cgid=Men05

Do you adjust your Andis outliners any special way?

I have a brand new one that I don't use because i adjusted them too sharp awhile back.

Yes, they're just like teeth.
You can't have a over-bite, and not having them set close enough won't get those super fine/crisp line ups or tapers. 

I use a blade setter, 'cause doing them by the eye can get difficult... 

Blade setter? I used a youtube vid lol

Not me, and not my blade setter... 
img_0103.jpg

I have that poofy %!@ asian hair. IE. it stands up instead of staying flat. Any tips on making it more flat? Also, would it be weird to wear a hat to flatten my hair before going to get my hair cut?

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

I have a little dilemma. I like my barber, hes a cool dude from Montenegro. But it seems he doesnt know how to do the tape up that I want. The type of tape up he does give me looks good though. But I want something like...well I hate to use this tool as an example but I didnt know what to google or who to google for a picture.

sammi_ronnie_kissing_04_wen.jpg

Tapeup is usually only the sideburns and back faded up right? Like Ronnie's. My barber does the sideburns, back, but then he cuts up with a comb/clipper slightly in the area behind my ears. I dont know hot to explain it, but should I tell him to give me a 5 or 6 all around, and skin tape up ONLY the sideburns and back? Not to touch that area inbetween?

Hes given me THAT haircut ONLY once and I dont know why he cant do it again.
laugh.gif
He prob thinks he's doing it right thats why he doesn't change it up.. If I was you i'll download that pic to my phone or somethin then show him.. I'll be like I want a taper but only on the sideburns not behind the ear like this.. 

Thats just how I would do it because im not a barber I don't know how to explain.. 

Thanks

Wahl Seniors or Andi's Master, you can maybe catch 'em on sale.
Google Sally's, and if you drive by "Beauty Supply" stores don't be ashamed to walk in there.

They carry clippers at cheaper prices.

On sale: http://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-clipper/WAHL06,default,pd.html?cgid=Men05

Maybe you can get some Outliners too (On sale): http://www.sallybeauty.com/outliner-trimmer/SBS-395005,default,pd.html?cgid=Men05

But, you will need to buy these guards for the Wahl's: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Cutting-Combs/SBS-785170,default,pd.html?cgid=Men05
Good looking out thanks. So the Outliner is just to line up?? Bear with me, I'm entirely new to this, just want to be sure.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Lorizzle

I have that poofy %!@ asian hair. IE. it stands up instead of staying flat. Any tips on making it more flat? Also, would it be weird to wear a hat to flatten my hair before going to get my hair cut?
I used to always wear a hat before I would get a cut so my hair wouldn't be puffed out 
laugh.gif
.  Is your hair short or long?  Even when my hair is long it puffs up a bit.  The only time it doesn't do that is if I comb / push it down towards the front of my face.

For an even all around haircut. Which clippers should I go with the Wahl seniors or the Wahl magic clip?

Originally Posted by breezylocks

Originally Posted by syxth element

Yo MrYoungMoney,
Is it bad for a barber to push back the hairline to create that fresh line each cut? I tend to get a cut every two weeks because of this. Should I just tell the barber to not push back the hair line? I'm not balding btw, I think it's the "maturing hairline"

Yes! 
Not only does it look stupid when it grows back, but it also will train your hairline to start growing out from there!

Your natural hairline should start four fingers (Pinky - Index finger) from the start of your nose to laying flat on your forehead.

Look in the mirror and see where your hairline should start.

Your line up/edge up shouldn't be too far from that.

Edit: Also, barbers try being slick and pushing the edge up back to insure that you'll be back every week! 
real life...
this is a good tip... glad to know my hair line is good 
laugh.gif
Nvm I get it now.

do your cilents ask u to lineup their eyebrows?

my eyebrows are getting real long and bushy... should i line em up with my andis t-outliner?

Back
Top Bottom