Ask the Barber

Try not to tell your barber by inches ... show him with your fingers , or say just a little bit . your inch and his inch are prob not the same .

Originally Posted by j00k

how high do the clipper guards go up? I asked for an 8 on the sides but it was too short, i kinda wana see what a 10 looks like

Yeah, I don't own anything above an 8 guard.
Sorry fam', it might be out there but you want it any longer than that you're going to have to deal with shear cuts which a lot of barbers can't do... 
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Wade187

Originally Posted by MrYoungMoney

Originally Posted by Wade187

What would you recommend to trim my beard and line my hair up? Never really shaved or anything and honestly don't grow much facial hair but right now am rocking something like Miguel Cotto plus a mustache. Always waited til I go to the barber shop, but now that I'm leaving it all I'd like to keep it looking good. 

Andi's T-Outliner 2. 
Smaller blade, than the Andi's Outliner.

b7e279aa17de08ab528c7386f3a1d0b2.wix_mp
I can use this to bring my hair down to? I noticed he uses this to line it up and some type of red trimmer to bring it down
Nooooo! 
Don't try cutting you hair with this! 

This is just for outlining, beard trim type of stuff.

So much hair will clog it up, and the blades will stop moving.

You might want to buy some clippers to bring it down.

Wahl Designers if you just want some easy do it yourself haircuts.

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

didn't see this thread, but what is the best clippers and liner combo on the market? I'm trying to look like diddy

Don't know if you'll get the results you want, but in my preference best clippers for beginners has to be the Wahl Seniors. 
Edgers have to be the T-Outliner 2's. 

Originally Posted by Patent2305

Why do some barbers cut past the hairline when you get a lineup? Sucky?

Don't know?
I hate pushing people's line up/edge up's back.

Unless their hairline is receding, or have a weird hair growth.

Originally Posted by syxth element

Yo MrYoungMoney,
Is it bad for a barber to push back the hairline to create that fresh line each cut? I tend to get a cut every two weeks because of this. Should I just tell the barber to not push back the hair line? I'm not balding btw, I think it's the "maturing hairline"

Yes! 
Not only does it look stupid when it grows back, but it also will train your hairline to start growing out from there!

Your natural hairline should start four fingers (Pinky - Index finger) from the start of your nose to laying flat on your forehead.

Look in the mirror and see where your hairline should start.

Your line up/edge up shouldn't be too far from that.

Edit: Also, barbers try being slick and pushing the edge up back to insure that you'll be back every week! 

Originally Posted by mfoy23

So after I am done wolfing what guard should be used when I get a cut?

Depends how short/long you want it...
Not sure what type of hair you have.

Straight hair (Mexican, Asian, White) If you want to be able to put gel in it then I suggest a 3 guard or higher.

didn't see this thread, but what is the best clippers and liner combo on the market? I'm trying to look like diddy

Don't know if you'll get the results you want, but in my preference best clippers for beginners has to be the Wahl Seniors. 

I have these and Andis Styliner II.   The Styliners dont get as hot as the outliners.  They also feel stronger and heavier then the outliners.

Cat_26700.jpg

Originally Posted by whyte1der05five

I have these and Andis Styliner II.   The Styliners dont get as hot as the outliners.  They also feel stronger and heavier then the outliners.

Cat_26700.jpg

Have these too, it's so hard to get the blade set perfect on these without scratching or cutting anyone! 
mad.gif

That's why IMO Andi's T-Outliners 2's are the best 'cause there's a blade setter for them.

Also, have a smaller blade compared to these and the T-Outliner. 

Don't have to worry 'bout cutting an eye brow off! 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I had someone cut off the end of my eyebrow ... I was beyond pissed.

The guy proceeded to tell me that it was like that when I came in.  I just got up and left before I did something stupid.

roll.gif

I have to literally stretch their skin to avoid doing so everytime! 

You have to be careful a lot of the time! 

I mean, you can see the difference in the blades though. 

Helps with those small corners when using the T-Outliner 2's.

Yo MrYoungMoney,
Is it bad for a barber to push back the hairline to create that fresh line each cut? I tend to get a cut every two weeks because of this. Should I just tell the barber to not push back the hair line? I'm not balding btw, I think it's the "maturing hairline"

Yes! 
Not only does it look stupid when it grows back, but it also will train your hairline to start growing out from there!

Your natural hairline should start four fingers (Pinky - Index finger) from the start of your nose to laying flat on your forehead.

Edit: Also, barbers try being slick and pushing the edge up back to insure that you'll be back every week! 
Thanks. I'm pretty sure my barber tries to get me to come back weekly since that's what I used to do before. 

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Have you ever heard of paying BEFORE your cut? When I came down to Houston I went to this barbershop and the people tried to make me pay before dude cut my hair? I was like
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif

na i get cuts in htown, when i went to a new shop a few years ago they charged me 25 tho 
30t6p3b.gif
...i pay 15 here now thats the rate here

real life...
barber dude said wahl senoirs and andis t out liner 2

like 2 pages back read the thread

Yo MrYoungMoney,

Yes! 

real life...
this is a good tip... glad to know my hair line is good 
laugh.gif

NT Barbers,

We know how bumps are formed, but whats up with your opinion of razor bump products?

Ive been to a dermatologist and gotten a product called Fluocinonide that has cortisol as an active compound. Its an anti-inflammatory that works really well...

but do any Over-the-Counter products work really well that you would recommend?

Yo MrYoungMoney,

Yes! 

Thanks. I'm pretty sure my barber tries to get me to come back weekly since that's what I used to do before. 
I'm pretty sure too, keep in mind that not all hair grows out like you'd expect it to.
Especially on line up's/edge up's.

Everyone has a low side and a high side.

If you really look at your forehead you should be able to tell which one is which. 

Originally Posted by sillyputty

NT Barbers,

We know how bumps are formed, but whats up with your opinion of razor bump products?

Ive been to a dermatologist and gotten a product called Fluocinonide that has cortisol as an active compound. Its an anti-inflammatory that works really well...

Just depends on the tools/clippers/edgers used.
I mean, there's a Electric Razor I use that is bump free.

When using there straight razor you can avoid bumps by not passing over the face too many times in the same spot.

As for products we use while you're still in our chair: 

e93a_1_15408_1.JPG

Originally Posted by sillyputty

NT Barbers,

Just depends on the tools/clippers/edgers used.
I mean, there's a Electric Razor I use that is bump free.

When using there straight razor you can avoid bumps by not passing over the face too many times in the same spot.

As for products we use while you're still in our chair: 

e93a_1_15408_1.JPG

Would you recommend this over Skin Tight?

Barber used a straight razor on the back of my head 
mad.gif

Originally Posted by j00k

how high do the clipper guards go up? I asked for an 8 on the sides but it was too short, i kinda wana see what a 10 looks like

Yeah, I don't own anything above an 8 guard.
Sorry fam', it might be out there but you want it any longer than that you're going to have to deal with shear cuts which a lot of barbers can't do... 
tired.gif
damn thanks man its hard to find someone who can cut the sides with no skin showing but short/long enough so that it dosent look stupid when i have it semi long on the top (i do something similar to a faux hawk ). Any suggestions on what i could say to my barber?

Just got a haircut earlier.  Pompadour / slick back in full effect.  
smokin.gif

I'm glad the barbershop I go to has barbers who can cut really well with scissors.  I went to a different shop one time and asked them to trim the top with scissors and they said they could only do it with clippers.  How can you call yourself a barber and not be skilled with scissors?  I know it's different for people who don't usually cut straight hair but almost all of this guy's clients have straight hair.

So I'm thinking about going to a barber. Been cutting my own hair for awhile.

what's the difference between a low taper, taper fade, and bald fade? I'm confused
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom