Ask the Barber

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

I have a little dilemma. I like my barber, hes a cool dude from Montenegro. But it seems he doesnt know how to do the tape up that I want. The type of tape up he does give me looks good though. But I want something like...well I hate to use this tool as an example but I didnt know what to google or who to google for a picture.

sammi_ronnie_kissing_04_wen.jpg

Tapeup is usually only the sideburns and back faded up right? Like Ronnie's. My barber does the sideburns, back, but then he cuts up with a comb/clipper slightly in the area behind my ears. I dont know hot to explain it, but should I tell him to give me a 5 or 6 all around, and skin tape up ONLY the sideburns and back? Not to touch that area inbetween?

Hes given me THAT haircut ONLY once and I dont know why he cant do it again.
laugh.gif
Try asking for a blowout. 

Originally Posted by MARIOisHOT

Anyone try these?http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BCZ8JU/?tag=niketalk0e-20Cheap and comes with a trimmer

Trash.  I thought what the heck...nice combo and carry case...why not. Big mistake.

Motor is weak on the trimmer and no where as good as the Outliner. "Is this $**% even on?" the motor is that weak
laugh.gif

Ended up throwing that joint away and took the T blade off it and put it on my bro's Outliner that had a chipped blade

I dont really like the teeth on the Clipper either...It's alright
grin.gif

Basically right now i have a nappy fro, but what should I ask my barber for, to get that nate robinson joint?

On special occasions, I hit up a barber and get a fresh line-up, but for the most part, I usually cut my own hair with zero all around.

Here's my dilemma: I moved a few months ago (from The Bay to Vegas) and forgot to pack my reliable clippers. I've bought a few -- three to be exact -- cheap, $20-%@+ clips from stores around my way and none of them cut as short as the ones I had at home.

Can anyone recommend me $20-$40 clippers -- bear in mind, I only need them to give me a zero all around; I'll save the occasional line-up & tape-up for the barbers -- that I may be looking for?

this has turned into an answer your own questions post since barberjay hasnt been around for 2 months

is there a size 9 or 10 clipper attachment? my wahl only came up to a 8 and looking for a 9/10 would help my hairstyle so much

i just moved to alexandria in virginia and im desperately looking for a nice barber who knows how to use scissors and clippers. im trying to get my faux hawk redone and my beard lined up with a blade..does any one have ant recommendations?? thanks in advance

Fams how do I ask my barber to trim my facial hair like this. What's the style name?
LLoydBanksDDO.jpg

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

On special occasions, I hit up a barber and get a fresh line-up, but for the most part, I usually cut my own hair with zero all around.

Here's my dilemma: I moved a few months ago (from The Bay to Vegas) and forgot to pack my reliable clippers. I've bought a few -- three to be exact -- cheap, $20-%@+ clips from stores around my way and none of them cut as short as the ones I had at home.

Can anyone recommend me $20-$40 clippers -- bear in mind, I only need them to give me a zero all around; I'll save the occasional line-up & tape-up for the barbers -- that I may be looking for?
I got the Wahl magic clips for $38.75 at candylox.com. They got good prices for the latest chippers.

Which would you guys prefer the wahl balder or the magic clips? I usually prefer a 0-2 all around. Can you use guards with the wahl balder?

Originally Posted by Brandon3000

Originally Posted by MrYoungMoney

Originally Posted by Shorty Doo Wop

How do you feel when one of your normal clients gets a cut from another dude in the shop?

I don't wish 'em bad, maybe he was in a hurry. 
Had a date, wanted to try something new, etc... 

I'ma say this, people need to appreciate their barbers. 

If you have a barber who cuts your hair how you like it/love it.

Don't go chair jumping 'cause the type of cut I give you might not get you the same result at another barber.

I'm just saying, don't try to fix it if it ain't broken.

I feel that. i went to this lesbian barber (don't ask me why PLEASE) and stopped going to her and now when i go to my current barber (who is AWESOME) she looks maaaaaaaaaaaaaaad angry
laugh.gif

I give my barber props tho and try to send him new clients. I'm sure loyalty is appreciated in any business transaction like that
no offense to women, but those butch $$%#@$ AAAALWAYS +*@% my *#+! up. i dont trust them with my hair
30t6p3b.gif

i hate how anytime you go to a new shop where you don't know anyone, they automatically point you to the chick like "here you go, get some experience on this random fools head" cause they know nobody actually tryna get an appointment with her...

I have Andis T-Outliners...I want to make them cut sharper but I heard, you have to use a blade setter or something. Anything have experience with this?

im having issues when cutting my own hair.

when i reach the crown i have a hard time not cutting against the grain since that's where the hair starts to swirl for me and i usually end up with a bald patch up top.

any tips on what i can do to avoid this?

Im not a barber but I have been cuting my own hair as well as family and friends for around 6 years.

StrongMubd3- A lot of times, if you are dippin or have thicker hair, it will look thin in that spot because your hair is growing in opposing directions (similar to a part) and there is really not much you can do about it. It doesnt bother me because I have had that "swirl" or "cowlick" since I was a child. I have found that it is less noticible the shorter I cut it. (For example If I have a 4 all around you can see the direction my hair grows whereas if I cut it to a 1, there is practically no swirl at all.

BaltimoreGutta - Like YoungMoney mentioned a while back, the blades are like teeth and if you want the sharpest cut possible you cannot have an overbite. If you do not have a blade setter, one thing you can do is use a flat surface (like a hand mirror) to set the blades evenly. Loosen the screws to the point where you can adjust the blade, then set the teeth so they line up on the surface of the mirror, then tighten them back up. Personally, I have very sensitive skin and this method often gave me cuts along my hairline so i just use the original factory settings.

Originally Posted by Miniojw

I got the Wahl magic clips for $38.75 at candylox.com. They got good prices for the latest chippers.
Thanks for that, fam. Considering that I just want that zero cut, should I get the Wahl Balder Clips? What's the difference between those and the Magic joints?

hey im spanish and im looking to change my hair style up

any good ideas on whats hot on the streets right now?

Originally Posted by Miniojw

Thanks for that, fam. Considering that I just want that zero cut, should I get the Wahl Balder Clips? What's the difference between those and the Magic joints?

Honestly, I have no idea. I just needed clippers to do a 1 1/2 all even.

Back
Top Bottom