Asperger Syndrome

Was diagnosed a week ago with asperger syndrome and it really opened my eyes to how my life has played out and all the problems have had growing up with motor/social/developmental skills. Any one have any relatives or have this?

my son was diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum when he was 2, he is 5 now. Whether or not he would be diagnosed with aspergers at a later time is still unknown. what prompted you to get tested/diagnosed? Did you or family have any idea before now?

My Cousin has it and my uncle show symptoms but was never diagnosed. I wanted to figure out why I have struggled with a lot of things in life like riding a bike, team sports, coordination, social skills, certain obsessions over things like information of shapes. A lot things most people are able to achieve natural at young ages to me longer to develop or have not developed. I usually learn things that can be literary learned and have a hard time picking up on social cues, hints and implied reasoning. I prefer to be a loner and sometimes can count the number of words I have said in the day on one of my hands because I have under developed language skills. I may be alright socially in short bursts but I get real anti social and want to be alone which make me hard to deal with and understand. I don't call or keep in touch with people as much as I can because I am lost in my own little world just daydreaming.

Originally Posted by Hazat50

Was diagnosed a week ago with asperger syndrome and it really opened my eyes to how my life has played out and all the problems have had growing up with motor/social/developmental skills. Any one have any relatives or have this?

Ok.  Now that you have a label/diagnosis, you can live within the confines of it and let it limit you.  Or not......

Originally Posted by BallRN23

Ok.  Now that you have a label/diagnosis, you can live within the confines of it and let it limit you.  Or not......
indifferent.gif

This is an actual medical condition not just someone complaining about life...

My girl's 12 year old nephew has it. He's a extremely smart kid with the subjects he's interested in. In things he hates, he has a horrible time grasping them. He also throws A LOT of tantrums, and gets anxiety around very populated places since he has no patience whatsoever.

pretty sure one of my best friends has it. he definitely has the symptoms, but growing up, his parents never took him to get checked out. they chalked it all up to ADD or ADHD. it's become the easy excuse for when you're kid has issues in school and stuff. but i mean he's doing alright i guess. it's just sometimes frustrating the way he acts, but then i remind myself that he's possibly dealing with this stuff and doesn't even know it.

Can someone give me a description in laymens terms..

I could Google it but I want to hear from people who've experienced it.

Originally Posted by Kramer

When did I say he was complaining?  I'm not trying to be rude......really I'm not.  I know my message may come across as "cold" but I'm just actually giving pretty decent advice without sugar coating it.  Don't let a label hold you back and limit you.  What's more helpful: "OP I'm soooo sorry, that sucks!" or what I said??

When did I say he was complaining?  I'm not trying to be rude......really I'm not.  I know my message may come across as "cold" but I'm just actually giving pretty decent advice without sugar coating it.  Don't let a label hold you back and limit you.  What's more helpful: "OP I'm soooo sorry, that sucks!" or what I said??
I think you have asperger syndrome.

I wish you the best OP. I'm not an expert on the condition, but I've heard there can be benefits with learning certain things (great memory right?). Use it to your advantage, and just b/c you don't learn like everyone else doesn't mean you can't learn it. Figure out a style that works for you. Be comfortable in your own skin. Good luck man.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

My girl's 12 year old nephew has it. He's a extremely smart kid with the subjects he's interested in. In things he hates, he has a horrible time grasping them. He also throws A LOT of tantrums, and gets anxiety around very populated places since he has no patience whatsoever.

Sounds exactly like my little brother....EXACTLY

Asperger syndrome isn't a label though. It's a medical condition. 

I used to tell my friends the reason why I was so bad at bball, was because I had assberger syndrome. But I don't have it. I'm just not that great in bball. I took an online test tho and I think i have restless leg syndrome.

I don't feel bad about it at all, I actually fell more relaxed and have a great weight lifted of my shoulders. I am looking forward to improving myself and not letting it define me or limit my life. I have been confused all my life into why I was so different and could not fit in but now I understand and look forward to life.

Best of Luck OP

I actually took a test a few months ago online and fell in the midway line.

After hearing about somebody with it I was compelled to take it because much of their symptoms seemed like things I have always struggled with.

Again, hope you diagnosis helps you live a better life.

My uncle has it, and it's had some ill-effects on his life. He is a great man, but has some problems.

1. He has extreme obsessions. He MUST watch Jeopardy everyday or he gets extremely angry (he also answers 95% of the questions, Ken Jennings style). Bikes for 3 hours a day. Washes his hands 6x a day.

2. He understands social relationships but cannot act on them. It's clear to me he understands what's going on in my life, how things work, etc. But he has no ability to apply them on his own.

3. He has tantrums. He's about 55 years old, but still flips out on occasion in social situations, or when he gets angry. easily the biggest downside, because he's a super nice guy but people can't see through the fits of rage.

Good luck man! I'm sure you can be a great individual and I only see it as a slight hinderance.

Best of luck op. I work with special education kids from 3-6 years old and it's scary how many kids have disabilities. This year most of the autistic kids have very low communication skills so that can be a challenge. I understand that you can feel down but don't be embarrassed. There are a good amount of services out there for you.

I went to high school with a kid that had it. He now works at a radio station writing articles and doing the new flash. He def worked his way past it.

Originally Posted by Prada G

I think you have asperger syndrome.
I had that same thought.  A medical condition does limit a person in some areas but I understand what you were trying to say.  You just didn't word it well.

Not enough stonefaces in the world...

Best of luck to you OP  

Back
Top Bottom