At risk for Type 1 Diabetes... Vol. Damn.

Well I just came from the doctor and he said it's possible I could be on insulin soon seeing how my blood tests hold up. I'm definitely shook.Apparently diabetes runs in my family and I got it through heredity.

Anyone on NT living with Diabetes, either Type 1 or Type 2? If so, how long and how's life? I wanna know how bad it will change my lifestyle and such.

rip

jk.

but youur gonna have to change your diet and work out more. it runs in my family. tested neg a few years back but i should probably get rechecked.

Runs in the family, my dad and my grandmother both have it.

I should probably get checked.

Im tryna do J Cutler numbers though.

i've had type 1 for 20 years now (i'm 23). not really a big deal to be honest. it's pretty easy to control. you don't even really have to watchwhat you eat, as long as you inject the proper amount of insulin at the right time, you'll be fine. good luck, and don't worry too much about it.it's really not bad at all.

dam that sucks, **%% like that completely changes your life, poking yourself constantly is not fun

Originally Posted by amine2345

i've had type 1 for 20 years now (i'm 23). not really a big deal to be honest. it's pretty easy to control. you don't even really have to watch what you eat, as long as you inject the proper amount of insulin at the right time, you'll be fine. good luck, and don't worry too much about it. it's really not bad at all.
So the insulin injections don't cut into your personal life at all? Wow.

What about all these things I've been hearing about getting seizures and collapsing?
ohwell.gif

Diabetes can be a blessing in disguise. Changes peoples lives, they live healthier.

Take care of yourself man. I hope everything goes well.

Originally Posted by Apollo XXXIII

i've had type 1 for 20 years now (i'm 23). not really a big deal to be honest. it's pretty easy to control. you don't even really have to watch what you eat, as long as you inject the proper amount of insulin at the right time, you'll be fine. good luck, and don't worry too much about it. it's really not bad at all.

What about all these things I've been hearing about getting seizures and collapsing?
ohwell.gif

Thats if its uncontrolled. But take control and manage it well, and you won't have to worry about stuff like that.

My daughter had blood work done, and they said she wasn't at risk of diabetes, but I don't know if that's the case for me. My grandma and aunt hasit [I don't know if it's Type 1 or 2] and they hold up pretty well. My grandma's situation is worse 'cause she had a stroke when her brotherdied last year, and she's not that mobile anymore.

Diseases are wack.

I have Type 2 Diabetes. I've had it for 10 years. You just have to change your diet, exercise, and take your medicine/insulin.

Hearing stuff like this gets me shook. Haven't had a physical exam in almost 10 yrs.
smh.gif
for neglecting my health/future.

IF the tests come back and you are in fact Diabetic, your life will change for a little bit, but this is because you will need to get the reins on your insulindosages. After that, like said above, your life won't change much at all. Exercise and eating properly makes it that much easier, but why wouldn't youwant to do that anyways? And to answer your question, it isn't really a burden on your personal life. Granted you will probably have to excuse yourselfsometimes to go inject yourself after eating or grabbing something to eat if you feel your blood sugar is low. Best advice is to stay in tune with your bodyand don't ignore any signs that your body gives you, and visit your doctor regularly to make sure what you are doing is best for your current lifestyle.Check your blood sugar and shoot for the doctors projected range. Also, they have insulin pumps/nose sprays etc, so there are other methods of controllingdiabetes. Good luck man.

Originally Posted by TheWindScar31

ohwell.gif

Thats if its uncontrolled. But take control and manage it well, and you won't have to worry about stuff like that.

yeah, like he said, if you let your sugar get too low or too high, you can get seizures or go into a coma, but it has to be pretty bad. you'll start beingable to tell when you're getting out of the normal range well before you get to that point. shots aren't really a big deal. very discrete, especiallyif you have the pump. it's just like a beeper that's attached to you (usually stomach or back) and so you just have to hit a couple of buttons wheneveryou eat. i use a pen, so i have to inject myself every time i eat, but i do it under the table and people at school take months to figure out i have diabetes(not that i hide it or anything, but i don't whip out the syringe for everyone to see and talk about it all the time)

my ex has type 1. she straight. sometimes if she was being stupid and didnt take it at the right time she be ready to pass out, but i stayed with hard candy ondeck.

i think i may be at risk of diabetes too...because it also runs on my dads side of the family....im surprised my dad hasnt been diagnosed with it

i really need to get my self checked out

It's not that bad. One of my best friends has it. Dude is cut. Nowadays they have some like device that is like connected to you somehow and its reads urblood sugar level for you, or some !+$# like that. Good luck man stay up.

I've had type 1 for almost 2 years. To be honest it really ain't that bad. I'm doing everything I used to do before. Just poke myself when I eatand eat a little extra carbohydrates before excercising and I'm good. #!%% like this won't hold me back.

And to all of you who are wondering if you have it.

Type 1 diabetes takes only a few weeks to develop. The initial symptoms are:

* increased production of urine (because the body tries to get rid of the excess glucose in the urine, diluting it with water),
* excessive thirst,
* fatigue (because the glucose is not being converted into energy),
* loss of weight,
* increased appetite,
* feeling sick,
* blurred vision,
* infections such as thrush or irritation of the genitals.

I personally lost like 18kg of weight and drank A LOT. Also had to wake up and go to toilet a couple times in a night.

^ A lot of those symptoms are also attributed to hyperglycemia (high blood sugar), so it isn't always cause of Type 1 Diabetes.

and once again, thanks for the help and support.
smile.gif

^ A lot of those symptoms are also attributed to hyperglycemia (high blood sugar), so it isn't always cause of Type 1 Diabetes.

smile.gif
Yeah because your blood sugar level is high before you starting injecting insuline.

Easiest way to know is just borrowing a blood sugar meter and check it yourself. Over 6 and I'd go see a doctor. If you got type 1 it's likely to besomething like 25.

Originally Posted by JPioneer

smile.gif
Yeah because your blood sugar level is high before you starting injecting insuline.

Easiest way to know is just borrowing a blood sugar meter and check it yourself. Over 6 and I'd go see a doctor. If you got type 1 it's likely to be something like 25.
eek.gif
I've recently been testing and I've only beenhitting 5 to 7.

Originally Posted by JPioneer

smile.gif

Easiest way to know is just borrowing a blood sugar meter and check it yourself. Over 6 and I'd go see a doctor. If you got type 1 it's likely to be something like 25.
eek.gif
I've recently been testing and I've only been hitting 5 to 7.

Multiple times? I'm pretty certain you don't have type 1 diabetes.

edit. or at least I'm really surprised if you have it. Try to check it like 1.5 hours after a meal. if it's still something like 5 you SHOULD be ok.

Mine was 25 when I was told to go to hospital and 34 when they tested it in the hospital
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom