Atheist, justify the Placebo Effect right quick..

Currently having a little chat about this right now...

I'd like an atheist to explain the Placebo Effect to me without pointing out that faith in science and faith in the Lord are similar. It's funny to me that this world is full of theists and atheists at odds with one another, as if a quarter has worth without a heads AND a tails...

Also, if I pray for a cure for ALS and so later on someone discovers it, who gets the credit? Science or Faith?

Go.
Science, because while you were praying, someone else was working their %*+ off to do something significant.
Nut a theists will say his work IS prayer and that he did his job... cause, meet effect. decent logic..

I'd like an atheist to explain the Placebo Effect to me without pointing out that faith in science and faith in the Lord are similar. It's funny to me that this world is full of theists and atheists at odds with one another, as if a quarter has worth without a heads AND a tails...

Also, if I pray for a cure for ALS and so later on someone discovers it, who gets the credit? Science or Faith?

Go.
Science, because while you were praying, someone else was working their %*+ off to do something significant.
Nut a theists will say his work IS prayer and that he did his job... cause, meet effect. decent logic..

Originally Posted by Murda He

Science, because while you were praying, someone else was working their $## off to do something significant.

Didn't answer the Placebo Effect question because I'm no expert.

edit: and you can't draw a relation between cause and effect with prayer and a cure because there is no relation, physical, provable, or real between the two. NONE, and to think otherwise is asinine and disrespectful to whoever did the real work.

Science, because while you were praying, someone else was working their $## off to do something significant.

edit: and you can't draw a relation between cause and effect with prayer and a cure because there is no relation, physical, provable, or real between the two. NONE, and to think otherwise is asinine and disrespectful to whoever did the real work.

Go.
It's funny how you insert this little caveat when you're the only person who actually would say something so asinine. 

Go.
It's funny how you insert this little caveat when you're the only person who actually would say something so asinine. 

Originally Posted by GRyPR33

kelso_burn.gif

kelso_burn.gif

there is god/ultimate creator w/e

if not then that means we created ourselves or we just manifested out of no where or we just always existed.

mindblown

oh yea... off topic but can anyone hear their own language as foreign can you use your mind to make it sound like gibberish.

there is god/ultimate creator w/e

if not then that means we created ourselves or we just manifested out of no where or we just always existed.

mindblown

oh yea... off topic but can anyone hear their own language as foreign can you use your mind to make it sound like gibberish.

Originally Posted by georgehimself

kelso_burn.gif

laugh.gif

That scientist is actively doing something to come up with a cure, while the person praying is hoping that their prayer did something.

grin.gif
and your argument over the credit issue is illogical. A prayer takes, what, a minute? If that? That scientist will spend years and years of their life, not to mention the blood, sweat and tears going into everything they do to research, test and produce a viable cure.

Who do you really think deserves the credit?

Originally Posted by georgehimself

kelso_burn.gif

laugh.gif

That scientist is actively doing something to come up with a cure, while the person praying is hoping that their prayer did something.

grin.gif
and your argument over the credit issue is illogical. A prayer takes, what, a minute? If that? That scientist will spend years and years of their life, not to mention the blood, sweat and tears going into everything they do to research, test and produce a viable cure.

Who do you really think deserves the credit?

im an evolutionist to the the core .... and your statement that faith in science and and faith in religion are similar, isnt unlike a laker fan PRAYING that Kobe hits the game winner and actually attributing the game winner to your prayer
c'monnnn son

as an aside though, you make thought provoking threads... good job

im an evolutionist to the the core .... and your statement that faith in science and and faith in religion are similar, isnt unlike a laker fan PRAYING that Kobe hits the game winner and actually attributing the game winner to your prayer
c'monnnn son

as an aside though, you make thought provoking threads... good job

Originally Posted by BostonThreeParty

Isn't the Placebo Effect if you believe in something then it is?
You have to be given some sort of reliability measure, for example in medicine or health patients are given 'pills' which are truly no more than sugar tablets, thinking they are receiving medicine, hence the Placebo Effect.

Originally Posted by BostonThreeParty

Isn't the Placebo Effect if you believe in something then it is?
You have to be given some sort of reliability measure, for example in medicine or health patients are given 'pills' which are truly no more than sugar tablets, thinking they are receiving medicine, hence the Placebo Effect.

So the placebo effect in this case is that people believe in a God just to rely on something? Or more they think God is doing something but its really just nothing?

So the placebo effect in this case is that people believe in a God just to rely on something? Or more they think God is doing something but its really just nothing?

why don't you ask a doctor to explain the placebo effect?

or a biologist?

why does it have to be an atheist?

Back
Top Bottom