Bank teller's on NT? what's it like working as one?

I got the job when I was in 12th grade.  I left school after 3 classes.  So I worked 1:30-7:30 Mon-Fri and 4 hours on Saturday.  It's a real easy job, especially since before it I worked at Mcdonald's.  People are almost very nice since you are dealing with their money.  People usually only argue with the manager or customer service reps.  Since they deal with the overdrafts and looking up your account history more often.  A couple months after i got there, the bank started pushing the tellers to sell credit card applications and upgrading your accounts and stuff.

I got the job when I was in 12th grade.  I left school after 3 classes.  So I worked 1:30-7:30 Mon-Fri and 4 hours on Saturday.  It's a real easy job, especially since before it I worked at Mcdonald's.  People are almost very nice since you are dealing with their money.  People usually only argue with the manager or customer service reps.  Since they deal with the overdrafts and looking up your account history more often.  A couple months after i got there, the bank started pushing the tellers to sell credit card applications and upgrading your accounts and stuff.

Originally Posted by denni5themenace

people are real pissy about their money and you do encounter at least a few !#!*@!++ each day.
i'm always nice to the tellers, except this one lady that always gets on my nerves.  she usually makes a comment when i deposit a check.  i have to mean mug her for not minding her own business.  or every couple of months the teller will tell me there was a change in my account and i have to sit down and talk to someone at the desks.  only to find out there wasn't a change and they want me to sign up for a new card and ask questions to find out my whole life story.
i wish washington mutual was around because chase is annoying.

Originally Posted by denni5themenace

people are real pissy about their money and you do encounter at least a few !#!*@!++ each day.
i'm always nice to the tellers, except this one lady that always gets on my nerves.  she usually makes a comment when i deposit a check.  i have to mean mug her for not minding her own business.  or every couple of months the teller will tell me there was a change in my account and i have to sit down and talk to someone at the desks.  only to find out there wasn't a change and they want me to sign up for a new card and ask questions to find out my whole life story.
i wish washington mutual was around because chase is annoying.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

You spend all day counting money for people who make 10x more than you. You will see there accounts and realize that being a teller is not whats up.

If that's your thing, more power to you.

VeryAnalytical:
If you have a degree wand want to break into finance, stay AWAY from branch offices. Either apply to the corporate office which is what campus recruiters actually recruit for, or apply to a non financial instituion and work in their finance department. Retail banking is what you paid to go to school for.

ThrowedInDaGame: My BA isn't in Finance but can I still apply in the Corporate Office anyway?  Is there a particular position, that I should be looking for or grabbing anything that I can with a BA and general work experience on hand?

You spend all day counting money for people who make 10x more than you. You will see there accounts and realize that being a teller is not whats up.

VeryAnalytical:
If you have a degree wand want to break into finance, stay AWAY from branch offices. Either apply to the corporate office which is what campus recruiters actually recruit for, or apply to a non financial instituion and work in their finance department. Retail banking is what you paid to go to school for.

ThrowedInDaGame: My BA isn't in Finance but can I still apply in the Corporate Office anyway?  Is there a particular position, that I should be looking for or grabbing anything that I can with a BA and general work experience on hand?

Requirements of being a  teller:
- Balance your drawer every day. 
- Be nice and professional to the customers.
- analyze the customer's account and refer them to the financial services department to upsell them.
- Dress nice (typically shirt, tie and slacks)
- Look out for suspicious activity

The pay typically ranges from $10-13/hr. to start depending on your bank and area.  It's not a terribly difficult job and it will give you some valuable insight into the daily financial situations of those around you.  I learned that everyone that had money was either in real estate or owned their own business.  The most difficult people to deal with are those who don't know how to manage their money.  Those with a lot invested typically drop by, make their deposit/withdrawal, have a little conversation, and leave.

Requirements of being a  teller:
- Balance your drawer every day. 
- Be nice and professional to the customers.
- analyze the customer's account and refer them to the financial services department to upsell them.
- Dress nice (typically shirt, tie and slacks)
- Look out for suspicious activity

The pay typically ranges from $10-13/hr. to start depending on your bank and area.  It's not a terribly difficult job and it will give you some valuable insight into the daily financial situations of those around you.  I learned that everyone that had money was either in real estate or owned their own business.  The most difficult people to deal with are those who don't know how to manage their money.  Those with a lot invested typically drop by, make their deposit/withdrawal, have a little conversation, and leave.

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

VeryAnalytical:

You don't need to study finance to get a job in finance. This isn't like engineering. As long as you are analytical as your name implies and understand basic financial concepts like the time value of money, you can land a finance job.

I'm not saying you'll get a job at Goldman Sachs or something, but you should be able to get something along the lines of transactional services, corporate finance, etc.

VeryAnalytical:

You don't need to study finance to get a job in finance. This isn't like engineering. As long as you are analytical as your name implies and understand basic financial concepts like the time value of money, you can land a finance job.

I'm not saying you'll get a job at Goldman Sachs or something, but you should be able to get something along the lines of transactional services, corporate finance, etc.

VeryAnalytical:

Thanks, Throwed for the input. Should I start with a credit union or go into a straight up financial institution/ bank type of deal? Lastly, in the long run should I consider getting financial tests under my belt (brokerage, life insurance, series tests: 6, 63, 7)?

VeryAnalytical:

Thanks, Throwed for the input. Should I start with a credit union or go into a straight up financial institution/ bank type of deal? Lastly, in the long run should I consider getting financial tests under my belt (brokerage, life insurance, series tests: 6, 63, 7)?

Was a teller for a while, more annoying than stressful. 
Rule #1: Don't let a customer rush you when you're counting money.

Rule #2: Don't let a customer rush you when you're counting money.

Was a teller for a while, more annoying than stressful. 
Rule #1: Don't let a customer rush you when you're counting money.

Rule #2: Don't let a customer rush you when you're counting money.

my boys been robbed at gunpoint twice working as teller for washington mutual
laugh.gif

both times we watched the security footage on the evening news, crying laughing

my boys been robbed at gunpoint twice working as teller for washington mutual
laugh.gif

both times we watched the security footage on the evening news, crying laughing

Im a branch manager at Chase Bank (former WaMu branch). I started in 2007 as a 20hr Teller making $11.00 an hour. If you work hard and have the right attitude you can advance with no degree (for instance, I only have my associates). Best decision I ever made was getting into banking, its not easy though. High stress on a daily basis so you have to be able to manage that. IMO being a teller is the hardest job in retail banking. Alot of BS for little reward, but again, its a start.

Im a branch manager at Chase Bank (former WaMu branch). I started in 2007 as a 20hr Teller making $11.00 an hour. If you work hard and have the right attitude you can advance with no degree (for instance, I only have my associates). Best decision I ever made was getting into banking, its not easy though. High stress on a daily basis so you have to be able to manage that. IMO being a teller is the hardest job in retail banking. Alot of BS for little reward, but again, its a start.

VeryAnalytical:
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

VeryAnalytical:
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jawnyquest

ive been tryna get a teller job but can't find legit openings
indifferent.gif

because in the time that we're in where everyone is losing their jobs, imagine how many people apply to be tellers?

Originally Posted by jawnyquest

ive been tryna get a teller job but can't find legit openings
indifferent.gif

because in the time that we're in where everyone is losing their jobs, imagine how many people apply to be tellers?

I was thinking about doing this as alternative to break into finance.

With a BA degree, is it possible to get a shift supervisor/managerial position? Or you, still have to work your way up from teller?

I think you have to work your way up because you have to have some experience to land a managerial position and know all the ins and outs. I may be wrong though.

I was thinking about doing this as alternative to break into finance.

With a BA degree, is it possible to get a shift supervisor/managerial position? Or you, still have to work your way up from teller?

I think you have to work your way up because you have to have some experience to land a managerial position and know all the ins and outs. I may be wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom