Basketball heads I need some tips/help

I'm a small guy like you...5'10" 160.

Everyone's given good responses here. I'd just like to chime in on another factor.

How's your upper body strength like? Once opponents started adjusting to my game, I knew i had to do something different and to keep them off-guard, so I started lifting weights.
So now, when I drive in, i still get blocked from time to time - that's just part of the game - but I tend to get more FTAs, and the occasional And-1.

Good luck.

I'm 5'8'', so I understand your pain.

For me, because I can't jump, I gotta find the angles. If the angles aren't there, there's usually someone open on the wing that I can dish to, since defenders like to shade when someone goes to the hole. If you're fast enough, you can usually beat out your defender and the big men down under to find a sharp angle to lay the ball in off the backboard.

Another thing I like to do is when the lay ups are working and they start playing you tight, I'll drive and then do a quick stop and pop with an 6-8 foot jumper.

I'm 5'8'', so I understand your pain.

For me, because I can't jump, I gotta find the angles. If the angles aren't there, there's usually someone open on the wing that I can dish to, since defenders like to shade when someone goes to the hole. If you're fast enough, you can usually beat out your defender and the big men down under to find a sharp angle to lay the ball in off the backboard.

Another thing I like to do is when the lay ups are working and they start playing you tight, I'll drive and then do a quick stop and pop with an 6-8 foot jumper.

I'm 6'3 so obviously not as short at you lol but still got some pointers

For one I'd work on skills based around a sharp jab step, like a pull-up jumper, or a one dribble pull-up jumper, both of these moves are gonna make the defender respect you more and will give you a lil more room to work with.

Also I'd work on being able to drive both ways, left and right. Being able to dribble effectively with both hands can do wonders for your game. A smart defender is going to shade you one way, either to your weak hand, or to the help defense whichever the case may be, also being able to finish with either hand doesn't hurt either.

The most important thing to me is to keep your head up, so many times people start drivin to the hole, and get tunnel vision and end up turning the ball over, getting their shot blocked etc. Yeah getting blocked is part of the game, but having a good "basketball IQ" and understanding the game helps alot too. When you drive people are gonna collapse on you, so if keep your eyes up, you'll start to notice people wide open for 3, or someone rolling to the basket for an easy layup. This will not only help the overall team play, but will clear things up for you as well.

I'm 6'3 so obviously not as short at you lol but still got some pointers

For one I'd work on skills based around a sharp jab step, like a pull-up jumper, or a one dribble pull-up jumper, both of these moves are gonna make the defender respect you more and will give you a lil more room to work with.

Also I'd work on being able to drive both ways, left and right. Being able to dribble effectively with both hands can do wonders for your game. A smart defender is going to shade you one way, either to your weak hand, or to the help defense whichever the case may be, also being able to finish with either hand doesn't hurt either.

The most important thing to me is to keep your head up, so many times people start drivin to the hole, and get tunnel vision and end up turning the ball over, getting their shot blocked etc. Yeah getting blocked is part of the game, but having a good "basketball IQ" and understanding the game helps alot too. When you drive people are gonna collapse on you, so if keep your eyes up, you'll start to notice people wide open for 3, or someone rolling to the basket for an easy layup. This will not only help the overall team play, but will clear things up for you as well.

First of all everybody here is so damned concerned about scoring. From what you say I would guess you are a point guard. Your main job is not to score but to run the team. If you are deadset on scoring though be prepared to do it yourself because nobody wants to play with a selfish point guard. If you pass the ball around and get your teammates involved. They will be more than willing to set a screen for you. If you want to "go to the hole" as everybody says. Learn how to score with either hand. Always try to go in for the reverse layup and score with the hand that is closest to the backboard. That way the ring will serve as an additional shield for you. If you can jump as high as you say you can. Practice the reverse so that you can do it with as little space between the backboard and the ring when you release it. Always bank the shot in. Doing this means that the only way the defender will be able to block your shot is either through the ring or against the board and the ring which will be goaltending on both counts.

First of all everybody here is so damned concerned about scoring. From what you say I would guess you are a point guard. Your main job is not to score but to run the team. If you are deadset on scoring though be prepared to do it yourself because nobody wants to play with a selfish point guard. If you pass the ball around and get your teammates involved. They will be more than willing to set a screen for you. If you want to "go to the hole" as everybody says. Learn how to score with either hand. Always try to go in for the reverse layup and score with the hand that is closest to the backboard. That way the ring will serve as an additional shield for you. If you can jump as high as you say you can. Practice the reverse so that you can do it with as little space between the backboard and the ring when you release it. Always bank the shot in. Doing this means that the only way the defender will be able to block your shot is either through the ring or against the board and the ring which will be goaltending on both counts.

getting passed your man is the hardest part and since youre quick you should be able to take him off the dribble with a quick step or crossover or whatever you prefer to get man off. now all you have to do is anticipate where the help is coming from, come up strong and take a big of contact towards his way just enough to get that space between you and him for you to release a lay up without getting blocked. also like everyone is saying just be aggressive and dont be scared.

hope that helps

getting passed your man is the hardest part and since youre quick you should be able to take him off the dribble with a quick step or crossover or whatever you prefer to get man off. now all you have to do is anticipate where the help is coming from, come up strong and take a big of contact towards his way just enough to get that space between you and him for you to release a lay up without getting blocked. also like everyone is saying just be aggressive and dont be scared.

hope that helps

happy.gif
at this thread.

Short dude thread FTW
pimp.gif

5'7 here and the main thing i would say is learn how to create space, otherwise your jumper/floater means nothing if u cant free yourself up.

As others have said work on head fakes, pump fakes, jab steps, step back, etc....Anything to keep the defense off balance, my shot RARELY gets blocked because of  those moves and general quickness...

Short dude thread FTW
pimp.gif

5'7 here and the main thing i would say is learn how to create space, otherwise your jumper/floater means nothing if u cant free yourself up.

As others have said work on head fakes, pump fakes, jab steps, step back, etc....Anything to keep the defense off balance, my shot RARELY gets blocked because of  those moves and general quickness...

Back
Top Bottom