Basketball Tryouts...

So i just had my first tryout today and did OK. I'm a junior trying out for JV and have never made the school team yet. I should have a pretty good chanceat making it this year, but i don't think coach even knows my name
eyes.gif
.Should i approach him or should i let my game speak? Also, anything i can do to perform better tomorrow after all the running and sprints we had to do. I knowI'm gonna be sore as hell tomorrow. thanks, and any other tips would be appreciated too.

Oh, and if it helps, I'm about 5'10-11 and usually play downlow. I'm pretty skinny, but i use my elbows to my advantage and can get a decent amountof boards, and hit the occasional 3 pointer.

Intruduce yourself to the coach, but don't sound all needy and s#%#
personally, I would play a little bit more selfishly than I normaly do, hopefully he will notice your game if you try to stand out
good luck man

shoot every time you get the ball and try to go 1 on 1 a lot unless you running specific team plays

You should try out for Varsity and they will demote you to JV try outs if your not good enough. Do you have any real team experience like Winning Ways or AAU?

Well, our school has a freshman team too, so Varsity is moslty seniors and a few juniors and maybe 1 or 2 sophomores. I don't have much organizedbasketball experience other than a rec basketball league i play in which is basically everyone who doesn't make the school team. And JV and Varsity tryoutsare together but I'm aiming for JV, since there is no way i'll be making Varsity, at least to start the season.

Originally Posted by jigsta05

Oh, and if it helps, I'm about 5'10-11 and usually play downlow. I'm pretty skinny, but i use my elbows to my advantage and can get a decent amount of boards, and hit the occasional 3 pointer.

Doesn't sound really impressive at all

ohwell.gif

Be aggressive and work hard are the two pieces of advice i'd give you. Don't be selfish, but don't be timid. I coach a freshman high school team,and would rather have the guys going all out all the time, than the guys going at their own pace who think they're the %#@*.

Honestly, bro, everyone on NikeTalk is already employed by NBA powerhouse teams. So expect some of the people on here to be amused by a junior trying out forJV. The kids, err, basketball legends on here were playing varsity en utero.

But just do your best, man. As long as you did you BEST, then there's nothing else you can regret about the outcome. But you have to push yourself to getthe results you want. You want coach to know your name? Son, kill yourself out there. I don't mean just go out there and elbow people in their faces andpush fools out of bounds, but you have to WORK.

You want him to remember your name? MAKE him remember it... by going out there and leaving an impression that makes him ask people about you.

If you don't think you can do that, then you're not ready to go big, so you really can't expect anyone to remember your name.

Do work.

Your 5'10, skinny, and play in the post? You'd barely make the girls team at most schools.

you 5-10 and play the post? You have any point guard skills at all? Because even if you did make the high school team, they would likely play you as a PG atthat height.

^^ i don't necessary play in the post, at least not always. I'm usually running around on the perimeter and then try to drive or make a cut to thehoop. I just don't shoot very well from the outside or midrange. and i'm usually the one player that gets at least a few offensive rebounds a game andget a few buckets out of them too. Thanks for the help so far...

You might wanna introduce yourself...ask what you can do better...as I look back at my tryouts I realized I could have been a lot more aggressive...playhard...and everything should take care of itself....hustlers stick out.....

Hustle is the most important thing you can show your coach, battle for rebounds, leave no shot uncontested. Also, be the first there and last to leave, showthe coach you really want to play ball, be encouraging (but not *edited*) towards your teammates).

Back
Top Bottom