Bay Area Artists/Rappers Appreciation VOL. Non-hyphy

Im talking about the actual Bay rappers who got lyrical skill, not the hyphy rappers. I know most people think hyphy when the Bay is brought up, but we havetalent out here. In my opinion, Bay rappers can go toe to toe lyrically with east coast and south rappers. They just dont get enough credit and shine. Anybody just add some input on your favorite bay rappers or just about the bay rap scene all together. Some of my favorites currently are San Quinn, Ya Boy,Jacka, Zion I, The Grouch, Husalah, Bored Stiff and Messy Marv.

Bay Legend. Been around for so long but doesnt get the respect he deserves.
793933_356x237.jpg

Up and coming. Ya Boy got so much talent. Spits straight crack.
1443888058_d199dc93d9.jpg

His style would never make mainstream but his style is dope. Thats all i can explain his style and flow, dope.
Jacka-%20Jack%20Artist%20Cover.jpg

Hip Hop. Lyrics are so sick.
heroes.jpg

Same as above, hip hop and lyrics are sick.
l_5ceb29189bc1c8aaa870db5301c335c2.jpg

can anyone gimme a list of albums by those artists and from the bay in general that i gotta download. and i'm talking mac dre too because i never reallygot put onto his *+##. so if ya'll could tell me a list of albums i gotta download from the bay it'd be nice.

i never really got into heiro. i was just listing some of my favorites. got any suggestions on some of there albums to get?

and yeah not hiero, i love their #+%% but i'm talking other bay are artists and no e-40. like i need suggestions on what to get mac dre wise and if any ofthe artists the OP mentioned are good

Originally Posted by Scienz of Life

Originally Posted by zube42

Originally Posted by Prez T

how the
69d35c6be00e5fc4932f9fefb06bc341133e760.gif
are you not gonna mention Del the Funky Homosapien ?

and the rest of hiero, but del's new album is
pimp.gif

11th hour?
Its dope? I'll have to check it out

yeah i really liked it, i'm kind of a def jux fan-boy though so it might just be me but it's different from his other stuff too

Originally Posted by unconditional Love77

and yeah not hiero, i love their #+%% but i'm talking other bay are artists and no e-40. like i need suggestions on what to get mac dre wise and if any of the artists the OP mentioned are good

as far as Mac Dre goes get Young Black Brotha, Rapper Gone Bad and Stupid Doo Doo Dumb. The Jack Artist by The Jacka is a MUST HAVE for any bay rapenthusiast and check out Street Legends and Deep Water Slang by Zion I

Originally Posted by Scienz of Life

Originally Posted by Prez T

how the
69d35c6be00e5fc4932f9fefb06bc341133e760.gif
are you not gonna mention Del the Funky Homosapien ?

and the rest of hiero, but del's new album is
pimp.gif

11th hour?
Its dope? I'll have to check it out

yeah i really liked it, i'm kind of a def jux fan-boy though so it might just be me but it's different from his other stuff too

grin.gif
del's always gonna be one of my favorite MCs but I wasn'treally impressed by 11th Hour. It may be one of those albums that might grow on you though, plus I was a disappointed in finding out that Del produced theentire album
eyes.gif
As for the post - Here's some bay classics that I'd recommend:
E-40: In A Major Way, Hall of Game, Element of Surprise
The Click - Game Related
Mac Dre - Young Black Brotha, Stupid Doo Doo Dumb (pre-hyphy stuff)
Mac Mall - Untouchable, Illegal Business
Luniz - Operation Stackola, Lunatik Muzik (I think they're 2nd album is kinda slept on)
RBL Posse - Ruthless By Law, A Lesson To Be Learned
Rappin 4 Tay - Don't Fight The Feelin
Too $hort- (Too many to list)
Hieroglyphics - 3rd Eye Vision
Souls of Mischief -93 Til' Infinity
Casual - Fear Itself
Pep Love - Ascension
Del - No Need 4 Alarm, Future Development, Both Sides of the Brain
The Grouch - Making Perfect Sense
Zion I - (All 3 of their albums are pretty good)
B Legit - The Hemp Museum
Yukmouth - Godzilla ( I swear dude's be hating on this but I think its
smokin.gif
)
17 Reasons
Rompalation Vol.1
Andre Nikatina
San Quinn & Messy Marv - Exlosive Mode
Rasco - Time Waits...
U.D.I. -Drinks On Us (omg, this is some straight hood classic shh
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
)
JT The Bigga Figga
Dru Down

wow...just too many name. Lotta versatility and longevity for some of the artists in the Bay. That being said..
Real talk....no artists int he Bay has dropped a complete album (listenable from beg. to end) in a long time (maybeZion I's - True & Living). I just don't see the new artists dropping good albums anytime soon - Jacka, Ya Boy, Clyde can all drop some good singlematerial but there full length LPs just contain way too much filler for my liking.

^yeah i was really hoping for some El-P production but the album grows on you if you give it enough spins

^yeah i was really hoping for some El-P production but the album grows on you if you give it enough spins

mos def, gotta give it a few more spins. I'm just mad that Del didn't tap into different production avenues - I mean dude had at least El-P and RJD2(dunno if he's still on DJ) on the Def Jux roster to get some beats from.
Ya Boy is the only bay rapper i effs with, and i live in the bay
smh.gif

I like Ya Boy but homie doesn't seem that authentic to me. Like he's good for a 1-dimensional punchline rapper but like The Game he justsounds kinda manufactured.

Personal favorites of mine...

The Jacka - The Jack Artist
Ya Boy - Rookie Of The Year
Zion I - True & Livin'
Zion I & The Grouch - Heroes In The City Of Dope
The Team - The Negro League (The Cycle is the cleanest storytelling song i've ever heard.)

wow. it looks like this thread might actually be going somewhere. haha i thought there was gonna be dudes coming in here hating on the bay. keep it going.

Andre Nickatina might be the most slept on as far as bay music goes, dude is like a legend with it hes been consistently putting out good material for over adecade i believe

^yea nicky t is a legend. been around for so long but not many people know about him. i never really got into his music but im gonna try to, anyone gotsuggestions on what albums to get?

Back
Top Bottom