been doing this corporate thing ... and...

i dont want to be VP bro.

i dont want to have a mansion and drive lambos...

but kissing *** just to move up? hoping someone recognizes you? praying at a chance to rub elbows with a higher up in an elevator? who wants to do that **** forever.

i'm working on a masters degree... and plan on taking certifications to get to a point where i'm knowledgeable in the field of finance.

i'm not trying to be vested in this company bro. this job was primarily a stepping stone into other things. my plan was to do this and move on...

... i'm just saying that i totally feel like my plan is the right plan, now. it feel more comfortable in the fact that i dont want to follow the same track as everyone else. i never have in life, famb...
thanks bro... that was really insightful..

At least you realize this now instead of at 40 when you're 15 yrs deep.

So is it Finance in general you think you dislike, or is it just the corporate culture at the job you have now that you dislike?

Your MBA should provide a great opportunity to change fields if you're interested.

Hard work > kissing ***. Good leadership recognizes that. Maybe try a smaller company that allows you more decision making responsibility. What type of corporate finance do you do? Operations, Sales, S&OP? If your in transportation finance, for example, maybe try your hand on the actual transportation or logistics team. That way your actually doing the work as opposed to analyzing the work others are doing, and you can learn a lot.

Last edited:
At least you realize this now instead of at 40 when you're 15 yrs deep.

So is it Finance in general you think you dislike, or is it just the corporate culture at the job you have now that you dislike?

This.

I know how you feel about the "impactful decisions"....

I would say just do it for a little longer, maybe a month or so and if you still feel the same way (which I'm sure you will) then you have to do something about it....

You gotta make moves now while you're still young and put yourself in a position where you will enjoy what you do everyday.

best of luck OP :pimp:

Is it really that bad?

Currently majoring in finance headed down that same road.

Currently working for a fortune 500 company. Truth is, corporations for the most part are poorly run, even the successful ones. In my current environment it seems that their are too many barriers to exchange ideas within the company. I have to talk to 5 different individuals, sometimes in the same department to collaborate on certain issues. At the very least....I Think you should work in the confines of a workplace so that if you do ever work for yourself, you know what works and what doesn't. 

Last edited:
it's work. it's not meant to be fun or 'fulfilling'.

i've been doing the corporate thing off and on for 10 years. sooner or later you'll realize what you want to do/what you don't want to do/what you can do/what you should do/what you're good at/what you can handle, etc..

i wouldn't stress it too hard...i mean, nobody really enjoys work. not even professional sports players.

that being said, one of the things i've learned is that i never want to work for a 'public' company again. i'm all about working for small businesses.

I'd make a home studio if I was in your position.

You should do what you feel is right for you though. Like, stay there stack up nice a chunk of change while planning out other ventures for the future and other things you'd like to do.

Man I feel the OP on this... I am currently in the car business and have had some interviews for some financial advising firms and insurance companies.  For me, I do like the auto business however, I feel like at the end of the day, all the effort I put in and time I have invested into it, all that matters is X's on the board.  To me it's like I am wasting my talent, and level of skill being that ANYONE can get hired in this business.  My managers say fat, dumb, and ugly works in this business and not to gloat or anything but I am none of the above... Well, ugly is up for debate lol. 

With a management degree and the skills I've acquired over the years, I believe I can do something that makes more of an impact on other peoples lives not only for today but for the long haul as well.  Sure opportunity for good income is there, but to me it would be awesome to be paid well AND do something meaningful.

It helps that in all the companies I've applied for there are opportunities to branch out and start my own practice from the ground up... I agree with an earlier post.  I wouldn't straight up quit right away, use your current job to find out what you like and dislike and the take that experience and apply the knowledge you've learned to something you'll trully enjoy!

Hope it works out for you guys...

son... i've been in this corporate finance gig for 2 MONTHS...
i'm not feeling this at all... making the next man rich... its just not what i want to be.

i make okay money for my age, nothing too exuberant. My momb is proud, and a lot of my friends are proud.

but I'm not in the business of doing things that doesnt make sense. I can easily work for my company for the next 30 years, retire VERY comfortably, and be alright forever...

but the chances of me making impactful decisions and getting to position that makes IMPACTFUL decisions.

i realized very quickly that this life isnt for me, fambs. I never understood why cats would say that, but I do now. I tried to so hard to get here, and its like... an empty feeling b/c i'm another corporate employee.

I've been talking to a lot of higher ups... vps, directors... and the steps that they've taken to get there are admirable... they've worked hard, sacrificed time and energy, and gave their heart to th company... they've been around 20+ years, and seen a lot of things. they're smart guys, and really nice people overall.

but i just dont trust that route. not as a black man, all the things i've seen.... i dont trust that things will be "OK"... i dont trust the system.

i dont trust "working my *** off for a menial promotion and 10K bump in pay that comes around during evaluations every year.

i dont trust kissing the *** of certain guys, hoping that they move up and bring you with them.

i dont trust not controlling your own destiny to some point.

working for a big company is cool and all... but i just dont think this is for me famb... I've always been the guy that thinks outside of the box... and this just pigeon holds this...

i'm 24 and i'm not a fan of corporate finance.
am i overreacting, famb? am i just scared of my eventual fate?

i know guys try their hardest to find jobs. and i'm grateful of mine.. but i just cant do this forever.
Question should be if your not a fan of current situation, then what else would you like to do?

Its become blatantly obvious most people that say this have zero idea what that takes.

I'm saying. Like if it was thar easy and simple the world would explode cuz everyone wants to be their own boss. In this world you got chiefs, and you got Indians. Nothing wrong with being either, you just have to accept your place in society.

It's been 2 months my man just give it some time. I think a lot of times the expectations coming out of college of what "corporate America" will be like turns out to be a let down. All that glitters is not gold.

The fact is this is life. A job is a job... regardless if you're wearing a suit and tie making $200k or not, you're punching the clock just like Joe the Plumber. Is it possible to have a fulfilling job where you make an impact? Sure. But, you don't need a degree in finance or an important job title to make an impact in people's lives. Be the best possible version of yourself. Be kind to someone today. If you make go to Starbucks and make the barista smile and brighten her day, then the impact you made on her will certainly be greater than the impact you make at your company today.

Go read Timbo109's post again. He gave good advice and it probably came from experience.

A few more thoughts: If you really want to go out on your own or even have that option, you're going to need to save your money up. Take advantage of what your job offers and stack up some money. I know you just made a thread re: buying a luxury car. If you're at all unhappy in your current position, do not buy a new car. The extra expense could keep you tied to your current position and make you even more unhappy. We, as Americans, are conditioned to believe that we need to buy a ******** of material goods to be happy - especially at a young age. Even if you can currently afford to buy what you like, especially at a young age, you don't want to become conditioned to an extravagant lifestyle. Live within your means is a good suggestion, but live below your means is a better one.

Also, be patient with starting out on your own. The worst that can happen is you leave your current position and get started on something that isn't sustainable or you don't actually enjoy.

It's been 2 months my man just give it some time. I think a lot of times the expectations coming out of college of what "corporate America" will be like turns out to be a let down. All that glitters is not gold.

The fact is this is life. A job is a job... regardless if you're wearing a suit and tie making $200k or not, you're punching the clock just like Joe the Plumber. Is it possible to have a fulfilling job where you make an impact? Sure. But, you don't need a degree in finance or an important job title to make an impact in people's lives. Be the best possible version of yourself. Be kind to someone today. If you make go to Starbucks and make the barista smile and brighten her day, then the impact you made on her will certainly be greater than the impact you make at your company today.

Go read Timbo109's post again. He gave good advice and it probably came from experience.

Thanks man. I'm only 23 and one year out of college so there's not that much experience backing it. That said, my first year out of college has been a pretty significant learning experience for me regarding how to manage my time, priorities, and money. It's been a significant social transformation as well.
I got a job that I was very happy about getting, everybody proud of me etc, and while I really like my job, it's stimulating, and it offers me the opportunity to make decisions or do work with actual impact, I've realized pretty quickly that I'm not going to be able to get all the feelings of fulfillment I need out of my job. In turn, I've put a lot of efforts into athletic training and my rugby "career."

Outside of money, the biggest limiting factor you're going to run into is time. I work 40 hour weeks and I'm feeling the crunch. I have friends who work 60s or more in finance and they really feel it. They spend the majority of their time outside of work spending money in bar and trying to score "yambs" so to speak. Sure this is fun and all, but the success and fulfillment you get out of it is a) contingent on other people and b) not long lasting or particularly genuine. Ricky, I know you are the self-proclaimed "yamb god" of NT but I do think it's worth bringing up that chasing women is a huge time and money sink for a lot of men and it can get in the way of leading a fulfilling life. Be selective and successful in that facet of life, and don't let it govern life.

Last edited:

you make good points

i guess we're taught that once you are wearing suits to work, and in a nice office building, then things will be better. but unless you're that kind of person, its not the best thing.

as far as making the barista smile, if i do, i'm trying to cop them yambs (i keed, i keed)

but seriously, my end all goal was to move on to other things. this just sort of solidifies it. it just makes me want to save more, gain some experience just in case i have to come back if things dont work out for myself.

A few more thoughts: If you really want to go out on your own or even have that option, you're going to need to save your money up. Take advantage of what your job offers and stack up some money. I know you just made a thread re: buying a luxury car. If you're at all unhappy in your current position, do not buy a new car. The extra expense could keep you tied to your current position and make you even more unhappy. We, as Americans, are conditioned to believe that we need to buy a ******** of material goods to be happy - especially at a young age. Even if you can currently afford to buy what you like, especially at a young age, you don't want to become conditioned to an extravagant lifestyle. Live within your means is a good suggestion, but live below your means is a better one.

Also, be patient with starting out on your own. The worst that can happen is you leave your current position and get started on something that isn't sustainable or you don't actually enjoy.
THANKS....

but... i really need to change the title of that thread because i DO NOT want to buy a luxury whip. i just made that thread b/c i've heard different people say different things and was curious.

i'm a motorcycle man, famb... i'm SMOKIN' these cars on the street... :pimp:

but to the rest of your point, that's what i planned on doing. i wanted to save up for a few years... possibly go back and learn some more thru schooling, certification programs, etc.... to be able to feel comfortable enough to do my own thing.

i made a facebook post the day i got the job...

"haven't made it yet... but its a benchmark that lets me know that i'm on the right track, and i can really do this"

and that's all it is, man. just a stepping stone into other things.

you can always have a side hustle
my side hustle right now is school (learning the industry from a high level view) and research (learning from a granular view)

i've always kept two sources of income going in order to best prepare myself for layoffs, cutbacks, etc... even dating back to college during the offseason...

i plan on learning and saving first... then easing into it.... its okay for some people to jump in head first... but as a financial analyst, i look at things from a risk standpoint, not a return standpoint. I'd like to maximize my return, but first reduce the risk so something i'm comfortable with.

It seems the entrepreneur route is your best bet.  

start your own business :smokin

Its become blatantly obvious most people that say this have zero idea what that takes.
yeah.. i've seen people fail over and over b/c they think "oh.. start a business. watch the checks roll in"

lots of people that even MAKE IT past the first 6 months, dont even turn profits for the first few years...

so i'm fully aware of the statistics involved.

also, people always say start their own business, but dont eem have a business plan in mind.

again, i'm not up for just quitting my job, and start a PE firm, or owning a string of beauty supply stores, or building up a extermination business...

the thing is, most people wont say,but i quickly realized that corporate finance is somewhat of a luxury to a large company... unless you're in budgeting, or corporate financial planning

Last edited:
Had the same feelings.

Saved up for four years and next week I'm moving to another country (that I always wanted to try out) for a job that pays less than half of what I made in the states. It's a job and an environment that I think I'll enjoy though. 

Depends how important money is to you.

Personally, I'm very low maintenance in terms of materialism so more money doesn't make me happy. I went from being a broke college student to 6 figures in accounts by my mid 20's and I was much happier when I was a broke college student. lol

I only value money for the  security it provides. So long as I have some financial security, I rather make less and be happier than make more and be miserable. 

Know what makes you happy, plan accordingly, and take a shot when the time is appropriate. Success isn't guaranteed but that's not the point either. 

And don't listen to the detractors. You'll have a multitude of reasons to not do what you want to do but that's life. Nothing is guaranteed but there's no way of getting what you want without risking a lot either. 

Last edited:
Yes. A lot of folks think they can save a little and start their own firm and become a millionaire sooner than later. In reality 80% of businesses fail within 5 years of the launch.

I'll come back and chime in tonight and when I get home. I felt and feel somewhat the same as the OP.

Back
Top Bottom