Beer Drinkers of Niketalk come in...

I wonder if you can get it north of the border?

What are everyone's feelings on Cider beer? An aquired taste, IMO. Strongbow, for example.

What's the normal % alcohol for beers in the States? I'm in Canada, and every time i head down for a trip, it tastes like i'm drinking watercompared to here. most beers in Canada are 5-6.5%, gets you drunk.

yes the Arrogant Bastard is pretty awesome. pretty heavy tho but I liked it.

what are some good amber beers. probably my favorite type of beer. I generally roll with Killians or Amber Bock or Shiner Bock. I've had a few others.

I feel as I have to participate in any NT thread that discusses the merits of beer or any other alcoholic beverages
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by StillIn729

I cant even front, I was skeptical at first but this beer is
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

anyone ever try this stuff?? 21st Amendment's Hell or High Watermelon wheat beer
eek.gif

2qs5iqc.jpg
If you think thats good you need to come out to SF and try it from the tap. I dont even like that stuff form the can but serve it ice cold with awatermelon slice garnish and its the perfect summer daytime drinking beer. One of the best Ive ever had though....
3397495440_2becc9f533.jpg

Originally Posted by eeBS7eez

What's the normal % alcohol for beers in the States? I'm in Canada, and every time i head down for a trip, it tastes like i'm drinking water compared to here. most beers in Canada are 5-6.5%, gets you drunk.

normal for domestics is between 4-5 percent... most of the good micro's get up between 5-8, and then some stronger belgians and barleywine's will creepup anywhere from 9 to 15 percent with some rare instances of others.

It varies by state though - some states only allow 3.2 beer to be sold in all but state-licensed/operated liquor stores... they call it "nearbeer"... And then like Bud makes a stronger version of it's regular Budweiser for overseas sales as well... so they brew it all different strengths,but generally the normal macro domestics are like 4.2 percent.

I do think canadian beer is a little bit stronger (and the proof is in the numbers) but people who make such a huge deal out of like .5 percent are reallyreaching... like the difference between a Bud and a Molson is barely noticeable, and if you didn't know which was which you'd feel the same amount ofdrunk, ya know?

Plus American breweries (micros/crafts) mostly make stronger beers - I don't know of a ton of good canadian micros - not saying they don't exist. Butthe American micro market is as well respected world-wide as any beer making you'll find, and those beers are generally all as strong or stronger thananything those macro's in Canada are putting out. I think it's kind of a silly argument - you've just gotta specify which types of beersyou're talking about... i think even putting macro's into a real beer discussion is a joke... it's like trying to have a sophisticated conversationabout music and basing it off of top 40 radio - yeah it's popular and sells a lot, but there's no heart in most of that stuff. Ya dig?
pimp.gif

what are some good amber beers. probably my favorite type of beer. I generally roll with Killians or Amber Bock or Shiner Bock. I've had a few others.

Enh... Yuengling is always popular if you can get it.. it's alright, definitely overhyped though.

very timely topic...

as of a couple of weeks ago, thanks to a strong grassroots campaign called "free the hops", alabama joined the 21st century and raised the allowablebeer alcohol content from 6% to 13.9%.

Plus American breweries (micros/crafts) mostly make stronger beers - I don't know of a ton of good canadian micros - not saying they don't exist. But the American micro market is as well respected world-wide as any beer making you'll find, and those beers are generally all as strong or stronger than anything those macro's in Canada are putting out. I think it's kind of a silly argument - you've just gotta specify which types of beers you're talking about... i think even putting macro's into a real beer discussion is a joke...
If you are ever in Vancouver, I suggest you take a night and hit up some pubs downtown. Great, GREAT variety and I have yet to taste one Idisliked. Granville Island brewery puts out the best in the region, IMO. It consistantly does well at the Beer Championships.

A couple of my favorites...

bot-local-brockton.jpg

BROCKTON IPA is a celebration of our 25th anniversary. Brewed in the style of a Pacific Northwest India Pale Ale, this refreshing IPA isgolden coloured and well hopped. It's destined to become a highlight of this great city, just like its namesake in Stanley Park.

bot-local-cypress.jpg

Brewed in small batches, our CYPRESS HONEY LAGER is lightly hopped, mild and bright, and given a hint of sweetness with pure Fraser Valleyhoney. It's like a refreshing blast of Cypress Mountain air.

EDIT - All this talk of beer made me go grab one.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

normal for domestics is between 4-5 percent... most of the good micro's get up between 5-8, and then some stronger belgians and barleywine's will creep up anywhere from 9 to 15 percent with some rare instances of others.

It varies by state though - some states only allow 3.2 beer to be sold in all but state-licensed/operated liquor stores... they call it "near beer"... And then like Bud makes a stronger version of it's regular Budweiser for overseas sales as well... so they brew it all different strengths, but generally the normal macro domestics are like 4.2 percent.

I do think canadian beer is a little bit stronger (and the proof is in the numbers) but people who make such a huge deal out of like .5 percent are really reaching... like the difference between a Bud and a Molson is barely noticeable, and if you didn't know which was which you'd feel the same amount of drunk, ya know?

Plus American breweries (micros/crafts) mostly make stronger beers - I don't know of a ton of good canadian micros - not saying they don't exist. But the American micro market is as well respected world-wide as any beer making you'll find, and those beers are generally all as strong or stronger than anything those macro's in Canada are putting out. I think it's kind of a silly argument - you've just gotta specify which types of beers you're talking about... i think even putting macro's into a real beer discussion is a joke... it's like trying to have a sophisticated conversation about music and basing it off of top 40 radio - yeah it's popular and sells a lot, but there's no heart in most of that stuff. Ya dig?
pimp.gif

Enh... Yuengling is always popular if you can get it.. it's alright, definitely overhyped though.

it is more or less the same over here when it comes to macro's. i just hate picking up a 12 when i go down to the states and peeing every20min whilst not feeling a buzz
laugh.gif
. canada micro's are alright, but idefinitely enjoy getting some variety from a nice brewery in the states, it's way cheaper and generally a lot better.

Fruity beer is not whats poppin. I mean, I mess with wheat beer, white beer and hefeweisen when its hot, but not fruity flavors.
I had these two on tap the other day, first time trying both.

2420109372_90f73a5a4a.jpg

pliny.jpg

You know what this thread is pretty good. There are some interesting suggestions...I have to try a lot of the beers that are recommended.

I'm also glad there are the experienced beer drinkers interested in craft brew instead of the Heineken crap beer drinkers in here suggesting.

So........

BTW Arrogant Bastard Ale is Damn good...plus it's 7.2% can't go wrong with that.

Westmalle Tripel is the best beer Ive had it contains 9,5% alcohol and is brewed by Monks.

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

i went to a comedy club yesterday, and my boy got a mikes
laugh.gif
smh.gif
**+!!! there is no way this should happen...does your boy get sour face when he drinks regular beers??? Maybe that's why he went for mikesbut IDK man??

Did you pull one of these on your boy...confused look

Anyway....anyone drink barley wines...average alcohol content 11%+ If anyone lives or is going to SF(bay area) Magnolias in Haight area is a good place forbrew.

Oh and Sam Adams Triple Bock......17.5%...I've had it and it's really hard to drink...if anyone has had this please tell me how to drink thisbeer....Way to strong and very thick...it's a seasonal beer once every 3 years I think...

I went to a beerfest and they were giving out those watermelon joints and they were wayyy too good. I forget what brewery made it, but there was also ablueberry beer that was also on point. I felt pretty feminine drinking them though

Originally Posted by oo206oo

Originally Posted by ekin805 formally rza9

landshark_postcard3.jpg

pimp.gif
on a warm cali day
What the?...you serious?

Wait a sec...what's wrong with Landshark? Sure it won't put hair on your chest like some of these other beers listed but like my man implied, on a hotsummers' day it hits the spot. And Modelo > any other mexican beer.

Where in So-Cal can I find a wide selection of quality beers as mentioned in this thread....

I concur that Modelo is the best mexican beer, but...

A. landshark isnt mexican, or even an import

B. its still piss.

Back
Top Bottom