BEING AMERICAN APPRECIATION

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by RATxAxTAT

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

The only thing unappreciated though on this holiday, is we can't light up the good *%$!
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
I swear CA has the p *%$! est Fireworks in the union
indifferent.gif
Really? My city was like a warzone with all the fireworks.

he just lives in a wack neighborhood
laugh.gif

Page 2

CincoSeisDos wrote:

The only thing unappreciated though on this holiday, is we can't light up the good *%$!
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
i'm speaking only on "Legal" fireworks, compared to the !!** back east or even in Nevada we're a joke.

My neighborhood was sounding like the initial invasion of Iraq back in '03 last night
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
indifferent.gif

he just lives in a wack neighborhood
laugh.gif

Page 2

CincoSeisDos wrote:

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
i'm speaking only on "Legal" fireworks, compared to the !!** back east or even in Nevada we're a joke.

My neighborhood was sounding like the initial invasion of Iraq back in '03 last night
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

Originally Posted by cguy610

^^ Examples please

Education-  For example, I'll just speak for Philly but I'm sure that there are many inner cities with similar issues.  There are many schools in the city with 50% dropout rates, and of those students continuing their education, the average total SAT scores are 500-600 range.

Employment- when only fast food places will open up in your neighborhood, where can the people find real work?

Health care- I feel this is self explanatory. 
Let me offer my take on these:

Education- Things aren't just given out. They have to be earned. Education requires a commitment that many of those 50% don't have. I understand some have extreme situations that force them not to focus on it, however from my own experiences many inner-city youth don't really put an emphasis on education. And those that do more likely than not find themselves succeeding and moving out.

Employment- This ties in to education. If better educated like other minorities (i.e. chinese/indian) the inner-city community would see multiple levels of employment open up to them. The harder you work the more your efforts will be rewarded.

Healthcare- this is the one i agree with you with. While it isn't practical to have full coverage for underpriveleged people, at the very least basic coverage is required. Check-ups, discounted prescriptions etc..

On education, a young person has to be told that education is important.  Think about it, when you are young, you think education is important because some role model or other influence tells you that it is important. That is one part of the equation.  The next part is that the school has to do an adequate job of preparing the students for the future.  The schools are not holding up their end of the bargain. If the only school that you have access to is a complete and utter failure, which many inner city schools are, it is a difficult to deliver the message that their hard work will be rewarded. 

Another point that is somewhat related but not really.  I was filling out my FASFA a couple of years ago and noticed that one of the questions was something like "have you ever been convicted of a felony for drug possession?".  I found it interesting that the focus was on drugs instead of just any type of felony conviction.  I found it funny that you could have been convicted of murder, that's ok, but if you have been convicted for drugs, you can't get a loan.  It's just something to think about. 

^^ Examples please

Education-  For example, I'll just speak for Philly but I'm sure that there are many inner cities with similar issues.  There are many schools in the city with 50% dropout rates, and of those students continuing their education, the average total SAT scores are 500-600 range.

Employment- when only fast food places will open up in your neighborhood, where can the people find real work?

Education- Things aren't just given out. They have to be earned. Education requires a commitment that many of those 50% don't have. I understand some have extreme situations that force them not to focus on it, however from my own experiences many inner-city youth don't really put an emphasis on education. And those that do more likely than not find themselves succeeding and moving out.

Employment- This ties in to education. If better educated like other minorities (i.e. chinese/indian) the inner-city community would see multiple levels of employment open up to them. The harder you work the more your efforts will be rewarded.

Healthcare- this is the one i agree with you with. While it isn't practical to have full coverage for underpriveleged people, at the very least basic coverage is required. Check-ups, discounted prescriptions etc..

On education, a young person has to be told that education is important.  Think about it, when you are young, you think education is important because some role model or other influence tells you that it is important. That is one part of the equation.  The next part is that the school has to do an adequate job of preparing the students for the future.  The schools are not holding up their end of the bargain. If the only school that you have access to is a complete and utter failure, which many inner city schools are, it is a difficult to deliver the message that their hard work will be rewarded. 

Another point that is somewhat related but not really.  I was filling out my FASFA a couple of years ago and noticed that one of the questions was something like "have you ever been convicted of a felony for drug possession?".  I found it interesting that the focus was on drugs instead of just any type of felony conviction.  I found it funny that you could have been convicted of murder, that's ok, but if you have been convicted for drugs, you can't get a loan.  It's just something to think about. 

^^ Examples please

That role model/influence needs to come from within the household. Parents (which is a problem in itself) need to take it upon themselves to see to it that the children, even if the school is failing, put forth the required effort to succeed. In AZ ,where i went to high school, only 59% of students and 54% of black students graduate high school. This is among the lowest in the country. But despite that i had parents who were determined to see me succeed in life. That is where the problem is. Social trends and attitudes.

^^ Examples please

That role model/influence needs to come from within the household. Parents (which is a problem in itself) need to take it upon themselves to see to it that the children, even if the school is failing, put forth the required effort to succeed. In AZ ,where i went to high school, only 59% of students and 54% of black students graduate high school. This is among the lowest in the country. But despite that i had parents who were determined to see me succeed in life. That is where the problem is. Social trends and attitudes.

Originally Posted by spincv

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
indifferent.gif
QFT
forreals

just goes to show that the 562 area code is lame

310>>>>>>>>>>>>>*

Originally Posted by spincv

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
indifferent.gif
QFT
forreals

just goes to show that the 562 area code is lame

310>>>>>>>>>>>>>*

I challenge anyone who doesn't like it here to live in another country for a year

I challenge anyone who doesn't like it here to live in another country for a year

^^ Examples please

Basically. A lot of the education lag in this country can be solved by parents just caring a little more and stressing the value of education from an early age.

^^ Examples please

Basically. A lot of the education lag in this country can be solved by parents just caring a little more and stressing the value of education from an early age.

Back
Top Bottom