Being Sober is boring

You really need to find other hobbies, and ways of keeping yourself busy. Like may have said, start working out, maybe join a club. Do something different or something you've always wanted to do but never had the opportunity. If you allow yourself to fall into depression, you will end up back on the bottle again fam.

I do have some questions, so forgive my ignorance. How does a person become an alcoholic? How do you go from social drinker to addiction/dependency? Is it wise to completely deprive yourself of all liquor vs drinking in moderation? If you drank a bottle of a beer, or took a shot, would that trigger something in you and have you binging on liquor right away?
Completely agree.
I really liked getting drunk and it turned into an addiction where I needed a drink to function. There were times where I couldn't really start my day without getting a drink. I remember going to the gas station and pushing back lime a ritas to start my day as awful as it sounds. Before you know it it becomes a part of your life and you see nothing wrong with getting bent.

I recommend this book
View media item 2099665
I'm in my 8th month of sobriety and actually wish I had this book when I was early in my recovery. It def puts my mind at ease when I get bored and reading it before I go to social events or even before AA meetings is great! Always remember there was a time when you didn't drink and you were enjoying life then! My Bday was monday and I celebrated by going to SFMOMA with my wife, it was a great day and very meaningful as it was my first birthday in over 10 years where I was sober the entire day! Hang in there, it gets better, and surround yourself with people who will support you, that really helps.
thanks for the advice and recommendation bro. I def was tested earlier tonight when I decided to go out to eat with some coworkers. We ate some good food and drinks were flowing, my coworkers were getting turnt up and temptation almost got to me but I stayed strong and sipped on water while my coworkers enjoyed their alcholic beverages. I'm proud of myself and I had a good time watching my coworkers drink and I felt responsible knowing that I didn't drink and could make it home without worrying about getting a dui or waking up in the morning with a hangover. I've sat up the last few hours thinking about my decisions tonight and if it's something I can continue. I think I can get used to this sobriety thing if I work hard on me.

this mite be horrible advice for op, and I'm not trying to get him back on that horse....

but i mean, you can go out and have a few drinks on the weekend, and NOT be an alcoholic. i know plenty people that do this.

a lot of people do that.
I don't trust myself right now bro as sad as it sounds. One drink turns into two, three turns into four and before you know it I'm a belligerent drunk talking **** about to get into a fight. I wake up with a hangover and drink more to rid my hangover and the weekend turns into a 4 or 5 day drinking spree. I'd rather just avoid drinking totally for the time being.

For those how have promoted becoming a vegan I have actually contemplated becoming a vegan but I've settling with being a pescetariqn. I haven't eaten meat in like six months and I'm enjoyin the lifestyle change. I've moved recently so I've gotten news things to keep my mind occupied. I copped a new PS4( I pawned my old PS4 for money to get drunk one weekend) and I'm enjoying playing my video games again. I'm gonna get a gym membership and get brolic.

Weed has to be SOMETHING :lol:

When you smoke weed 3-4 times a day there has to be a reason. You might not be addicted but you might not be able to cope either. It ain't your birthday everyday.

This is a very narrow-minded thought.

thanks for the advice and recommendation bro. I def was tested earlier tonight when I decided to go out to eat with some coworkers. We ate some good food and drinks were flowing, my coworkers were getting turnt up and temptation almost got to me but I stayed strong and sipped on water while my coworkers enjoyed their alcholic beverages. I'm proud of myself and I had a good time watching my coworkers drink and I felt responsible knowing that I didn't drink and could make it home without worrying about getting a dui or waking up in the morning with a hangover. I've sat up the last few hours thinking about my decisions tonight and if it's something I can continue. I think I can get used to this sobriety thing if I work hard on me.

Hit the nail right there man! That's why I read the book, it's a great guide, but not for everyone and everyone has their own methods. I always try to take time to myself an reevaluate all the relationships that are important to me and figure out what I should or shouldn't be doing. My biggest problem was giving people to much credit and not fully taking control over the only thing I can control: myself. So it's always nice to and refreshing to do that

and you're a bigger man than me :lol: I've completely just cut out partying and even going to places that are primary bars first and food second. Even when I eat with my wife, there can be the entire bar seating section open and she'll just wait with me for a booth. even doing these precautions it still takes a great deal of discipline to manage for me. I think the one thing that always helps me is knowing I'm not the only one going through these things and it's comforting to feel that.

you'll be fine man, one day at a time, it's a lifestyle change and like anything else it takes effort.

It's not a sustainable diet. Most vegans are 90% vegan. They fall off the wagon. Need to supplement for vitamins lacking from vegan diet. On top of all that, those combine harvesters kill plenty of animals. Best of luck to vegans tho.

You dont know what you're saying It's only not sustainable if you don't know what you're doing.

Last edited:
I love NT but this might be the worst advice thread I've ever read. Dude CLEARLY stated that he's had serious issues with alcohol in the past and your advice has been drink in moderation and do drugs instead? I wouldn't trust none of y'all with my sobriety :lol: :lol: :lol:

False. I'm very knowledgeable on nutrition. Keep up the good fight tho.

I'm not saying you're not but a vegan diet is definitely sustainable I know people who are doing it

The #1 myth about vegan diets is that you don't get any protein. There's all sorts of non meat proteins. It's the carnatine and b12 along with other different amino acid profiles that are lacking in a non meat diet that can be easily supplemented.

Last edited:
I'm not saying you're not but a vegan diet is definitely sustainable I know people who are doing it

Would love to see their blood work. Know how long they've been strictly vegan, level of activity. The nutritionists I know, all agree that it's not sustainable without bending the rules. I strongly believe it's a cult first, diet third.

Last edited:
how's your love life op?
My girlfriend left me a while back after she got tired of my ish so I'm single now. I haven't really been thinking about yambs like that because I've been trying to get myself together.

Hit the nail right there man! That's why I read the book, it's a great guide, but not for everyone and everyone has their own methods. I always try to take time to myself an reevaluate all the relationships that are important to me and figure out what I should or shouldn't be doing. My biggest problem was giving people to much credit and not fully taking control over the only thing I can control: myself. So it's always nice to and refreshing to do that

and you're a bigger man than me :lol: I've completely just cut out partying and even going to places that are primary bars first and food second. Even when I eat with my wife, there can be the entire bar seating section open and she'll just wait with me for a booth. even doing these precautions it still takes a great deal of discipline to manage for me. I think the one thing that always helps me is knowing I'm not the only one going through these things and it's comforting to feel that.

you'll be fine man, one day at a time, it's a lifestyle change and like anything else it takes effort.
thanks bro it seed a daily struggle that we constantly fight. There's times when I'm down and could go for a drink but I get me a cold glass of ice old water instead. The lil things keep me going.

My girlfriend left me a while back after she got tired of my ish so I'm single now. I haven't really been thinking about yambs like that because I've been trying to get myself together.

Aren't you in LA? Lets go to sams and have an o'douls

Last edited:
I really liked getting drunk and it turned into an addiction where I needed a drink to function. There were times where I couldn't really start my day without getting a drink. I remember going to the gas station and pushing back lime a ritas to start my day as awful as it sounds. Before you know it it becomes a part of your life and you see nothing wrong with getting bent.

Sorry to hear that bruh...I wish you all the best in your recovery. Don't let boredom take you off course. Try some new activities like others have said. Get active, join a club, take up some new hobbies. Anything to keep you busy bro.

Best of luck to you.

The #1 myth about vegan diets is that you don't get any protein. There's all sorts of non meat proteins. It's the carnatine and b12 along with other different amino acid profiles that are lacking in a non meat diet that can be easily supplemented.
to me there is something fundamentally wrong about having to use supplements to sustain a healthy life. 

and very impractical

Veganism is just not the way to go. Only if you really know what you're doing and how to maximize nutritional gains from a vegan diet.
Being a vegetarian or pescetarian is the better option.

Would love to see their blood work. Know how long they've been strictly vegan, level of activity. The nutritionists I know, all agree that it's not sustainable without bending the rules. I strongly believe it's a cult first, diet third.

What about vegetarian or pescatarian? Are those not sustainable either? Cuz I been pescatarian for 8 months

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom