Best Albums of the Year. (Mixtapes are a different thread).

So, it came to mind yesterday that it's almost June, which means it's almost halfway through the year already. We always start a thread around June where we all post our favorite %#$* that's come out to that point, and it usually gets flooded with too many albums for people to check out, with the ones getting the most '
pimp.gif
' peeped the most, and the rest brushed aside. Then we ignore it for 5 months until December, when even more albums are added and ignored.

How about we try something new? Post up your favorite albums so far, and continue to do so when more come out. This way I think we can avoid the information overload that always happens when 50 albums are posted in like 5 or 6 pages, and people can pick up on things as they happen. I know I've missed plenty of stuff to come out myself.

So lets try this? I'll start, of course.

I put a lot of thought into this because I have nothing else to do right now
laugh.gif

5. Lana Del Rey, Born to Die

The most polarizing singer in the business right now? Lots of hate, lots of love, but damn near everyone knows her thanks to 'Video Games.' The album lived up to the hype for me, and then some.

4. Chromatics, Kill for Love

Different songs keep grabbing me and becoming my favorite off the album, some fall out and aren't as loved as much as when I first heard them. Great album, blew my expectations away; best Chromatics album yet, 2nd best project by Johnny Jewel (Desire's '2' is the best imo).

3. Death Grips, The Money Store

Thought I knew what to expect when I bought this. I didn't. Not at all. This %#$* is abrasive, loud, angry and chaotic; it's endearing, controlled, hypnotic and addicting. Not for everyone, as the thread I made on DG proved
laugh.gif
But I love it. 'I've Seen Footage' is my favorite song off this right now.

2. Norah Jones, Little Broken Hearts

Biggest shock to me so far this year. Dangermouse killed it. Absolutely killed the hell out of this. The beats were solid-to-perfect throughout the album, playing up Jones' emotion and singing perfectly. The heartbreak/revenge angle was done perfectly and felt completely fresh, which is a hard feat considering that angle's been done to death. 'Miriam' is haunting...

1. Mina Tindle, Taranta

Found out about this French singer through Gorilla vs Bear, and it's the only place I've seen her mentioned. Best pop album I've heard in a long time. All the songs I love, I LOVE. And even though I understand the smallest amount of French possible, I still love the songs that are all in her native language. 'To Carry Many Small Things' is my favorite single this year so far.
Not available in the US yet. It was hell finding this, but if you can find it you wont be disappointed. Any French NTers on here?
nerd.gif
Wanna ship me a copy for less than the $30 Amazon's charging?

It's been a solid year for pop music as far as I'm concerned.

Honorable mentions so far:

ScHoolboy Q, Habits & Contradictions
Beach House, Bloom
Actress, R.I.P.

Last edited:
p4l. These threads are one of the only ways I keep up with new music. I personally have absolutely nothing to contribute.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

1. Master Of My Make Believe - Santigold
2. Born To Die - Lana Del Rey
3. Reign of Terror - Sleigh Bells

that's all i've really cared for...gonna check out some of those suggested
edit: whoa...didn't know DangerMouse produced the new Norah Jones album...finna peep that RIGHT NOW

The ones that stand out to me so far in no particular order:
Premo_Bumpy_Knuckles_kolexxxion.jpg

DJ Premier & Bumpy Knuckles - Kolexxion

scaled.php

Schoolboy Q - Habits & Contradictions

cover.jpg

Big K.R.I.T. - 4eva N a Day

r-a-p-music-cover1.jpg

Killer Mike & El-P - R.A.P. Music

Originally Posted by HankMoody

p4l. These threads are one of the only ways I keep up with new music. I personally have absolutely nothing to contribute.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
me too.. damn shame.. i have yet to listen to any new albums in 2012..

Totally forget that Norah Jones album even came out. Was a fan of the songs on Rome she was on, I knew her and dangermouse wouldn`t disappoint. 

I havent heard the new BOB yet. Heard it's better than Bobby Ray, so I'll listen when I can.

Originally Posted by 504 D1 Prospect

Anything Noskey awwsome or Rolaholic recommend warrants a listen from me.

Respect 
pimp.gif
[/Ali G]

Originally Posted by 6 rings MJ

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by toast1985

Originally Posted by 6 rings MJ

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

If ya'll are talking about strictly hip hop, there hasn't been any to buy
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 (
eyes.gif
), unless you like Future (
indifferent.gif
) or actually consider B.o.B. a rapper (
grin.gif
)
Just look at the other hip hop that came out in the stores this year so far...Nicki Minaj, Future, B.o.B., and Tyga. 
roll.gif

Ya'll already got KRIT and SchoolBoy up there, also toss in...

lee-fields-faithful-man.jpg

2.28-Glasper.jpg

Stalley and Starlito's projects also, i guess they're considered "mixtape albums" tho..

surprised to see ScHoolboy Q mentioned
pimp.gif

haven't listened to the new Ab-Soul record but I'm sure it'll make it's way to this thread.

Not one HipHop/Rap ALBUM had stoodout to me thus far this year. Some exceptional mixtapes dropped tho...

It's been an absolutely terrible year for music so far. Not to mention, the albums I've liked this year don't really seem you have much staying power. Hopefully in the following months I'll have a lot more I can throw in the mix.

Albums:
The Big Pink - "Future This"
Tanlines - "Mixed Emotions"
Killer Mike & El-P - "R.A.P. Music"
Grimes - "Visions"
Beach House - "Bloom"
Miike Snow - "Happy to You"
School of Seven Bells - "Ghostory"

EPs:
St. Lucia - "St. Lucia"
CFCF - "Exercises"

Originally Posted by Noskey

4. Chromatics, Kill for Love

Different songs keep grabbing me and becoming my favorite off the album, some fall out and aren't as loved as much as when I first heard them. Great album, blew my expectations away; best Chromatics album yet, 2nd best project by Johnny Jewel (Desire's '2' is the best imo).
This has been sitting in my iTunes for awhile. I've been meaning to listen to it.

They actually released a drumless version of album for free download. You should snag it if you haven't already. (I haven't listened to either version, so I don't know if it's worth the download, but just wanted to point it out in case you're not aware.)

Back
Top Bottom