Better ATHLETE Michael Jordan or LeBron James?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been having this discussion with my buddies for a while now. In terms of pure ATHLETICISM, not basketball achievements, etc. who is the better athlete in their prime? Who would you take in one physical activity to compete against? Ping pong, swimming, darts, beer pong, one on one basketball (yes), triathlon, anything you can think of. 
For me personally, I'm taking MJ. Free throw line dunk, scoring 40 points at age 40, jumping over Ehlo, and stretching his arm 40 feet to score the game winning basket in Space Jam all count as athletic achievements. Yes, LeBron is 6'9 260 pounds, arguably one of the fastest players in the league, well built, no ayo, etc. Ya'll know I don't gotta go on and on... So who are you guys taking?

I think when you consider what LeBron can do physically at his size then you have to say he's more physically impressive. It's not a knock against MJ at all.

Not even close the gods have blessed lebron.too bad you need other things to be a winner clutch gene,killer mentality,picture mj or Kobe with lebrons physique.

are you seriously not going to include Michael Beasley in this conversation?

Some of you are mistaken. God given size and strength does not = athleticism. Just because Lebron could probably do work in the NFL doesn't necessarily make him a better athlete either.

I'm going MJ. Silky smooth, effortless, and dominant.

Originally Posted by Be Easy

I've been having this discussion with my buddies for a while now. In terms of pure ATHLETICISM, not basketball achievements, etc. who is the better athlete in their prime? Who would you take in one physical activity to compete against? Ping pong, swimming, darts, beer pong, one on one basketball (yes), triathlon, anything you can think of. 
For me personally, I'm taking MJ. Free throw line dunk, scoring 40 points at age 40, jumping over Ehlo, and stretching his arm 40 feet to score the game winning basket in Space Jam all count as athletic achievements. Yes, LeBron is 6'9 260 pounds, arguably one of the fastest players in the league, well built, no ayo, etc. Ya'll know I don't gotta go on and on... So who are you guys taking?

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Some of you are mistaken. God given size and strength does not = athleticism. Just because Lebron could probably do work in the NFL doesn't necessarily make him a better athlete either.

Do you think Kobe Bryant and Vince Carter are also better athletes than LeBron? I don't agree with your initial assertion at all and I'm just trying to figure out why you would downplay LeBron's athleticism. 

I'm not downplaying Lebron's athleticism. I'm downplaying peoples argument that assumes Lebron is a better athlete because of his physical stature.

Both are athletes, but let me put it this way. With ability remaining the same, take away Lebron's physical prowess and where is he? Add Lebron's size to Jordan and what do you get?

It's almost silly to look at this way, but I got Jordan as the more athletic and Lebron as an athlete on top of amazing size and strength. Stricly on athleticism, give me MJ. That is what's bolded in the title.

Originally Posted by BRaTZ DoS

Originally Posted by Be Easy

pimp.gif
pretty much ended the discussion
/thread

I'm not downplaying Lebron's athleticism. I'm downplaying peoples argument that assumes Lebron is a better athlete because of his physical stature.

Both are athletes, but let me put it this way. With ability remaining the same, take away Lebron's physical prowess and where is he? Add Lebron's size to Jordan and what do you get?

It's almost silly to look at this way, but I got Jordan as the more athletic and Lebron as an athlete on top of amazing size and strength. Stricly on athleticism, give me MJ. That is what's bolded in the title.
That's the whole point though, LeBron is basically good off the strength of his physical prowess. There is no one in any sport that can match his combination of size/strength/speed/vertical/timing/etc.

But that's a combo. I'm talking ONLY athlecism. With all god given abilities to on the table, then yeah, we go Lebron. We're only talking athleticsim though. That's separate from physical prowess + other things.

That's more of my defintion of an athlete.

But that's a combo. I'm talking ONLY athlecism. With all god given abilities to on the table, then yeah, we go Lebron. We're only talking athleticsim though. That's separate from physical prowess + other things.

That's more of my defintion of an athlete.
OK take out size...who else is seeing LeBron strength/speed/vertical/timing?

How is athleticism separate from physical prowess???

Lebron is bigger, faster, and stronger than just about anyone who has come through the NBA. Mike included.

I'd even put an in-his-prime Shaq ahead of Mike as far as athleticism as well....

Bigger and stronger does not define athleticism. In Lebron's case, it only enhances his athletic ability.

Size and strength are a part of athleticism. It's easier for certain body types to do certain things and harder for others to do certain things. For Bron to even be comparable to Jordan of all people at his size is an incredible testament to how athletic he is. NO one at his size should be moving as fluidly as he does. And he may even be faster than Jordan was...which is completely mind blowing. There is no question who is the better athlete.

Bigger and stronger does not define athleticism. In Lebron's case, it only enhances his athletic ability.

So if being bigger, faster, and stronger doesn't define someone's athleticism, what is it about Lebron that makes him so much better than his peers when actually talking ABOUT athleticism? 

In your world, if Nate Robinson is doing things at 5'8' 180 pounds that make your jaw drop, why is he applauded for his athleticism but Lebron isn't? 

God damn, relax.

Lebron is better than his peers because of the things you mentioned on top of his great athleticism.

The comparison is Lebron vs MJ, athleticism only. I choose MJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom