Black Folk, Where are we at when it comes to allowing others to use N word with the A

Recently, Gwyneth Paltrow stirred up a little controversy tweeting a picture of the jay-z and kanye concert with the caption "n---az in paris for real". Me personally ive slowly stopped caring, who can blame them we use it in their faces and sell it to them but still it is a bit awkward seems so unnatural. 
I guess times are changing and perhaps we need to just realize its just a word, a race cant own a word, especially when we sell it, whats your take NT?

Good point, idk what to think, i guess times are really changing

Regardless of what think, blacks own the word just like other races own other derogatory words about their ethnicity. However, any word, used as a weapon will hurt.

No race has ownership of a #%* word. I don't let anyone say the word around me, its all about correcting them the first time they try and pull it. Lock this up before NT KKK enters.

I really don't care anymore. A lot people think its like the ultimate weapon against black people. I say let them say it, it'll eventually lose its orginal meaning.

The only people who really worry about it is old people who can't get past it orginal state, and people who want to start something.

This is the internet. Everyone is too busy YOLO'ing around to respect the sensitivities of his fellow man.

If you say it, at all. You shouldn't care if anyone says it, at all.

(I use it frequently, I'm not black. -kanyeshrug-)

Originally Posted by CE0 Mal

Just about knowing your place. I mean, sure, you say it around your usual people and no one corrects you, why would you feel the need to censor yourself? Does it make it right? Nah, not in my book, but I'm not going to jump through the computer screen to stop you. I just hope you don't say it around the wrong people.

I have no problem w/ my non black friends using it in the context of song titles and movie lines and whatnot. As for refering to other people as racial slurs misspelled or not that #$%^ doesn't fly w/ me.

It's become part of the vernacular because it's used so much.
I just get confused when black people call non-black people the word.  Not sure why they call them that.

When I was like 9, I got into a fight with this lil rican kid at summer camp for sayin the word. At this time I didnt know ricans had the "pass".
But I know I felt like me (bein black) had a certain ownership of the word. Felt like I had to protect it 

Fast forward.. Im 22 now. Grown up with some life experience, and I dnt even stress it anymore. I got white boys who say it but calm it down when Im around. I just think in my head, "I really dont give af, but don't say that around the wrong person... your'e gunna have a bad time.
laugh.gif

It's easy not to say it. There is NOTHING positive about the word. Folks who use it on a day-to-day basis got no grounds to get upset when other races DO use it.

I say it...

I get miffed if a white person says it.

I don't get miffed when a Mexican says it. But I tell them to chill.

I don't call whites or Mexicans the word...

But I use it. Alot.

#comeatmebro

If I am not mistaken didn't she say it before on Inside the Actor's studio or some interview where they asked her to recite some of her favorite rap songs?

First of all I don't like people just throwing the word around loud in public places, black or not, it bothers me.
Now, moving on.  This is somewhat subjective, but to me it depends on if the word is really part of your vernacular and how you talk or if you're just trying to hard to be "cool" (even if you are black).

For example, if Fat Joe (who's not black) comes up to me and says "What's good my *****", I wouldn't think twice about it.  But if Shane Battier (who's half black) walked up to me and said "What's up *****" I'd be like 
grin.gif
indifferent.gif

I don't like, and don't let anyone that isn't black say or use the word around me.  If that does occur, I let that person or people know how I feel about it.  I also speak to black people that use it frequently around non-black people, as they need to be taught as well.

That's that white privilege speaking out.....
laugh.gif
, gotta love it.  White people just aren't use to being told they CAN'T do something.  For any and all non-black people in here, if you use the word when listening to music or something along those lines in your privacy that's one thing, but if you say it out in public freely there are consequences that come along with that.   

I looked up the definition of both the N work that ends with an -er and the one that ends on -ro. Neither one actually comes off as very offensive. It's really about the context and way it's used. 

Originally Posted by AlBooBoo5

If I am not mistaken didn't she say it before on Inside the Actor's studio or some interview where they asked her to recite some of her favorite rap songs?

I had a black supervisor at work, real Uncle Tom/house N, Tap-toe when you say type.. Considering there were only 5 brothers in a store of 130+ employees, he would consistently call white co-workers Ns and refer to himself as a N in the third person.. 
30t6p3b.gif

It's silly N s like that, I don't like. 

I use it among my brothers as a term of endearment and to shame them, but non-blacks I don't care how you cut it, shouldn't use it. I hardly use the word, and definitely never around non-blacks.

I don't care what color you are, you sound ignorant as hell if you use it. 

IDK about you guys but I've moved to a stage of indifference with it. If theres one thing I've learned from being on forums is that people will say it. and theres nothing you can do about it. If theyre not saying it in front of you, theyre doing it in private or in their heads. Its just not worth getting worked up over at this point, just do you and let them do the same.
Theres already been 1 non black person who admits to using it in this thread and theres probably more. What are you going to do about that? Flame him? For what? It changes nothing. Sure if he did it in front of you, you might get angry about it and get into something with him, but thats not going to stop him from saying it either.

I really couldn't care less with the way she used it, I don't think it was meant as derogatory....only problem I have is if someone says it in a menacing or insulting manner, then we have a problem. But honestly I'm not giving a word power over me and I try not to use it at all during conversation b/c I feel like a hypocrite for calling other races out for using it (I don't see what's wrong w/ just saying my dude, or my man, etc
grin.gif
)

You white dudes that use it frequently...Are you using it around other white folks or black people too? And where do you live?

Ain't seen that type of %$%% fly up here...

Back
Top Bottom