Black Infrared VI's returning in 2014. NO GM TALK!

The materials were good, but not true to the original. The ankle leather was not present. This detail is more pronounced on the infrared 6 so I hope they add it

Photos from citizen_erased_23 on IG
The shoe was fully made of durabuck, durabuck gets like that with age. 

Check out citizen_erased_23 and scollard23 as well as of ogsupportgroup on instagram. They have Ogs and are kindve like historians. Also look up an article on the history or durabuck with Nike.

View media item 2348472View media item 2348473
And here's a pic from 1990 where the ankle portion is shiny. It's not aged since it's new. That's all I have to say. Don't have time for your willful ignorance and argumentative instead of learning antics[emoji]9996[/emoji][emoji]127998[/emoji]

I have never paid that much attention to materials so heres my question.  So durabuck was used on the OG black  5,6,7,8,9s?  The 2010 vr 6 is suede.  2014 is  ?  My original playoff 7s look durabuck but are shiny all over like the ankle padding of the og 5s.  When i was younger I was obsessed with cleaning them after every wear.  Would over cleaning durabuck cause that look.  Or would oils from your hands cause it to have that shiny look?

I have never paid that much attention to materials so heres my question.  So durabuck was used on the OG black  5,6,7,8,9s?  The 2010 vr 6 is suede.  2014 is  ?  My original playoff 7s look durabuck but are shiny all over like the ankle padding of the og 5s.  When i was younger I was obsessed with cleaning them after every wear.  Would over cleaning durabuck cause that look.  Or would oils from your hands cause it to have that shiny look?
Durabuck is a synthetic leather used to look like leather and to look like suede. The durabuck used in the 90s is different than the kind used now which is why it looks shiny. 2014 is nubuck

Durabuck is a synthetic leather used to look like leather and to look like suede. The durabuck used in the 90s is different than the kind used now which is why it looks shiny. 2014 is nubuck
 Gotcha.  So safe to say nubuck is the pretend durabuck.

The OGs used brand name "Durabuck" which is a synthetic nubuck.. hence the name "durable Nubuck." The original material would get a shiny finish to it when scuffed, got wet, spayed with too much protectant, etc. The original company went out of business and Nike continues to make their version of Durabuck, some refer to it as Nikebuck to distinguish the difference. Nike still uses the term Durabuck, but it's used as a description of the material vs a brand name.

These became comfortable once I started doing leg workouts with them at the gym. The materials became softer. I really broke them in where the toe box is comfortable. Also no more pinky toes being pinched.

The OGs used brand name "Durabuck" which is a synthetic nubuck.. hence the name "durable Nubuck." The original material would get a shiny finish to it when scuffed, got wet, spayed with too much protectant, etc. The original company went out of business and Nike continues to make their version of Durabuck, some refer to it as Nikebuck to distinguish the difference. Nike still uses the term Durabuck, but it's used as a description of the material vs a brand name.
Exactly, it also get that way because of age. Tried to tell to him that the shoe was all durabuck.

Repped, thanks.

Exactly, it also get that way because of age. Tried to tell to him that the shoe was all durabuck.

It's been years since I've held an original. But to my understanding, they did have a smooth heel. Most likely a treated Durabuck.. waxed or just processed differently.

Jb tried to add that look to the 2000 infrared. I had the pair so I can speak to it, they tried to recreate the look of the Og.

I won't cape for the 2014's even though I think they were a pretty decent retro but the 2010s were absolute garbage.. no way those will ever top these for me and I owned both.
i have to totally disagree with u on this one, bro. i think the 2010 infrared pack was dope and great quality. i've worn both pairs countless times and they still look fresh as hell. i like the hot orange on them bc they match with more. i like the materials used bc they have held up great over time. there is no midsole paint chipping and the shape was decent, def better than the 2014. at this point, i'd legit give up my ds 2014 pairs before i gave up my worn-many-times 2010 pack.

i have to totally disagree with u on this one, bro. i think the 2010 infrared pack was dope and great quality. i've worn both pairs countless times and they still look fresh as hell. i like the hot orange on them bc they match with more. i like the materials used bc they have held up great over time. there is no midsole paint chipping and the shape was decent, def better than the 2014. at this point, i'd legit give up my ds 2014 pairs before i gave up my worn-many-times 2010 pack.
This is why I've been indifferent to nubuck hate. It is more durable IMO long term than the new durabuck used. They are more flexibly than the nubuck used on the 2014 too

yeah, i feel like this new durabuck material they use on the NA BM 5s or 2014 infrareds won't age well over time. whereas i've even hooped in my 2010 black infras and gotten them helle dirty, even muddy and all i've had to do was use a damp rag and some jason markk and they look almost brand new. like literally almost brand new save for the slightly yellow icy bottoms. the new durabuck look funny as hell when u simply wife with a damp cloth.

Last edited:
yeah, i feel like this new durabuck material they use on the NA BM 5s or 2014 infrareds won't age well over time. whereas i've even hooped in my 2010 black infras and gotten them helle dirty, even muddy and all i've had to do was use a damp rag and some jason markk and they look almost brand new. like literally almost brand new save for the slightly yellow icy bottoms. the new durabuck look funny as hell when u simply wife with a damp cloth.
Cleaned my 2015 7s with crep protect and they look good as new. Not sure why the durabuck is doing that with you.

Gotcha.  So safe to say nubuck is the pretend durabuck.
it's all fake material :lol:
But easy way to remember
Nu=new which is the version they used after the durabuck
Same way I remember concave over convex. Caves go in not out lol

I respect it!!
nthat.gif
I was more so talking about the varsity reds that did not come in a pack. Though, I would probably say the same if I held the actual infared pack VI's in hand. The shape from 2010 was waaaaaaaay better than the boot toes we always get now and the color is A1 but that weird suede they were using was a major turn off for me.

Back
Top Bottom