Black students fleeing Mizzou

My HBCU has a pharmacy and Law School and the majority of the Pharmacy students are Asian. The Asian Pharmacy students aren't worrying about what people say about HBCUs, they're getting their degrees so they can prosper. A lot of HBCUs are also cheaper than other state schools.

Last edited:
Honestly I would say getting a job with a degree can be done 1 of two ways. By networking (who you know) and by having a resume that stands out. I went to predominantly white engineering school in north jersey (not NJIT). My school constantly tops the list of schools for ROI and job placement because 80% of the students that attend take part in the co-op program are required to work with atleast 3 companies before you graduate. And these aren't desk work internships either they're full time 9-5 jobs in the field working with actual engineers get real world experience. Net working works well too and if you do it right you don't have to worry about a search. But a solid resume is what gives your degree weight. Relevant and extensive work experience will 9/10 guarantee you a job right out college in STEM fields from what I've seen atleast.

See I'm the type of dude to just talk to people. I see someone doing good I'm gonna try and get to know them provided they're cool. I have so many friends and contacts I got from just shooting the **** with people. You never know what people got going on and who's down to make some money with you/give you a job.

Having a resume that stands out/ doing interesting things is a huge part of successful networking. People only care about you if you have something of value to offer.

If you want to network with a prof don't even talk about whatever you're learning in your 300 level class. Look up his research articles and show interest in his "world changing research". They love talking about themselves way more than explaining the same basic curriculum they have been teaching for the past 12 years.

Honestly I would say getting a job with a degree can be done 1 of two ways. By networking (who you know) and by having a resume that stands out. I went to predominantly white engineering school in north jersey (not NJIT). My school constantly tops the list of schools for ROI and job placement because 80% of the students that attend take part in the co-op program are required to work with atleast 3 companies before you graduate. And these aren't desk work internships either they're full time 9-5 jobs in the field working with actual engineers get real world experience. Net working works well too and if you do it right you don't have to worry about a search. But a solid resume is what gives your degree weight. Relevant and extensive work experience will 9/10 guarantee you a job right out college in STEM fields from what I've seen atleast.
most schools have co-op departments where you can gain access to. Legit internships.

most schools have co-op departments where you can gain access to. Legit internships.
But not all schools pour money and resources into building a strong network of successful companies for their students. Many companies in the area which included NJ, CT, and NY hired co-ops exclusively through my schools co-op department. I had other friends that went to other schools doing STEM majors and the students were responsible for seeking out their own opportunities with no help from the school at all. If co-ops/internships is something a student plans on doing the reputation of the school in the industry your interested is def important to look into

Last edited:
just sharing my experience I went from a accredited HBCU to a public PWI and they weren't messing with those HBCU credits

IMO if you live in the west or east that HBCU conglomerate really isn't the move
That is the issue with HBCU, I know too many people that transferred from HBCUs and lost a lot of credits.

PWIs don't want the HBCU credits but will gladly take the CC credits makes no sense to me.

I know there is a pipeline from CC to 4yr, but still makes no sense CC is much easier compared to any university.

Edit: Just to jump in on the job placement convo. There is no better way to obtain a job than attending national organizations career fairs. You gain national exposure from top company recruiters and managers. I would never rely solely on a school to find me a job.

Last edited:
I expected my opinion to not go over well, I wouldn't call it entitled gibberish but to each his own.

No shots to anyone's school, I am a HBCU grad myself. Just is what it is.

Colleges and universities are most important for networking even if you work your *** off and are at the top of your class.

The better the place, chances are you'll be able to make better connections. That's probably the most important thing about college. HBCU or not.
I have friends at top ranked PhD programs and they say that they can't build their network because none of the White professors in their department are willing to work with them and serve as mentors. For the most part theyre isolated and on their own.
Don't get me wrong, it's definitely tough and any kind of racism makes it worse.

They're a lot of factors that factor in to that., state vs private school, major, school you attended, etc...
Exactly cats go from majoring in computer science at one school to mass comm at another and think the stuff will transfer, or same majors but differenr accreditations etc.
just sharing my experience I went from a accredited HBCU to a public PWI and they weren't messing with those HBCU credits

IMO if you live in the west or east that HBCU conglomerate really isn't the move
You mind sharing which one you went to?

I went to NC A&T ...and folks I know who transferred to UNC or NC State never had those issues. A&T was a state school so that might've made things a lot easier. I know going to smaller private schools whether it's a hbcu or pwi can make transferring a lot more trickier if it's to a state school 

Nothing worse than someone w/ an English degree from a PWI acting like they're on some upper level of negroism 
laugh.gif
 ....know one right now that's working them customer service lines w/ chicks with only hs diplomas 

Last edited:
You mind sharing which one you went to?

I went to NC A&T ...and folks I know who transferred to UNC or NC State never had those issues. A&T was a state school so that might've made things a lot easier. I know going to smaller private schools whether it's a hbcu or pwi can make transferring a lot more trickier if it's to a state school 

Nothing worse than someone w/ an English degree from a PWI acting like they're on some upper level of negroism :lol:  ....know one right now that's working them customer service lines w/ chicks with only hs diplomas 
This bro. Repped, sit to negropean *** down lol.

Back
Top Bottom