Blu Ray - Your take? Yay or nay.

What's good fam...

What's your take on this? The next big thing for home entertainment?

I'm planning on getting a new system, but what's drawing me apart is the Online community of Xbox which most of my friends have versus the small one ofPS3 but having the blu-ray player included.

Blu-ray looks to be promising and is only $50 in price difference. I'm thinking in the long run it'll benefit and I can convince my pops otherwise tohelp me out the costs.
laugh.gif

I'm not trying to make this another "Help me choose my system" again, but trying to get more info on people's tastes.

Like for one thing, I guess I'm going to have to rent Blu-Ray and the alike? Are there any limitations to it, or let alone the player that comes with thePS3?

Much appreciated guys.

Yes, GTA4 is worth my money right now.
laugh.gif

its blu-ray, no "dvd" in the title.

PS3 is STILL one of the best BD players in the game. its much easier to upgrade the firmware than others, which is necessary to unlock all the new featurestheyre adding to the players (IE. BD live)

Well, you really have no choice... Blu-Ray prevailed over HD-DVD.

If you're gonna watch high definition movies, Blu-Ray is your only choice for the future.

there ARE sime cheaper ones than the PS3, about $299 for a samsung and LG in the store. BUT the big difference is the load times for the discs, about 55secondson these players, while the ps3 in about 20-25seconds. plus add in the ease of upgrading the ps3 firmware compared to the cheaper ones, and all that othe goodstuff...

^LOL

Is there a fair amount of movies on blu ray that are matching the releases of dvds?

I went with the Ps3 primarily because of the Blu-Ray, but it's not a slouch as a gaming system either. I don't regret my decision at all, while XBLmight be better, it should be better because you're paying for it. PSN ain't bad for being free at all, and the community isn't as large asXBL's, but if you play popular games aka COD4 you shouldn't have trouble finding people to play. For the Blu-Ray I suggest watching Cars andRatatouille, All of the Pirates, Crank, I, Robot, Live Free or Die Hard are the movies with crazy PQ. A good site to look at how the PQ stacks up with otherBD's is www.avsforum.com or highdefdigest.com. I hope you get a PS3, you won't regret it, its like the best player for its pricepoint and is anexcellent gaming system in itself.

blu-ray is nice to have if u like paying like $40 to buy the movies or u got netflix or something...I have one in my house, never watched a movie on it yet

Originally Posted by AQPHAME

blu-ray is nice to have if u like paying like $40 to buy the movies or u got netflix or something...I have one in my house, never watched a movie on it yet
only ******s pay retail...

If you buy a blu ray player it comes with a dedicated remote, what do you do with the PS3?

also, does anyone have a 1080p tv with an upconvert dvd player?

Will be getting a PS3 as soon as I get an HDTV. Blu-Ray is so win. I watched Saving Private Ryan a while ago at a friend's place.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Originally Posted by AQPHAME

only ******s pay retail...

lawl

Downloads are the future
wink.gif

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Downloads are the future
wink.gif

How soon into the future? I don't want to start a Blu-Ray collection if downloadable HD quality movies are available within the next 5-7 years.

Im also trying to decide whether to go with the PS3 or Xbox. I will mainly be buying it to play GTA IV. The xbox is tempting because its cheaper and hasdownloadable content, but the PS3 because it has the blu-ray and will save me having to buy a player in the future.

i hate grainyness... and i'm not sure if you can see them in 1080p still, but if you can i'd definately wait until that grainycrap is gone. (not sureif it's the tv that does it or bluray)

Originally Posted by Apocalypz

Can any PS3 upconvert?
yes with an HDMI cable it cannot over component because its not a true digital signal...

to all these people asking why should you get blu-ray do you guys even have an HDTV?

I've got a 40" Samsung and just picked up a 40" Sony W3000 !%@! looks amazing on blu-ray

Originally Posted by Cekpethobce

do any of you actually BUY movies? i really dont see a point in a blu ray or hd dvd player

Hell are you talking about? With that logic,why own a DVD player? Rentals can be enjoyable too.

Originally Posted by Cekpethobce

do any of you actually BUY movies? i really dont see a point in a blu ray or hd dvd player

i buy movies all the time.

yes with an HDMI cable it cannot over component because its not a true digital signal...

the ps3 does a terrible job at upconverting compared to a $40 dollar Upconvert player

Back
Top Bottom