Boss at work leaked every employee's pay rate.

Reaction score
A couple of days ago my boss at work leaked every employee's pay rate, through an email.

The original email was supposed to contain an attachment for a form that every employee needed to fill out. Long story short, employees opened the email and saw that the attachment was of a document that had everyone's job description, and how much EVERY employee made an hour.

Before every employee took the job, we were asked to sign a form stating that we were NOT allowed to discuss pay rates with other employees, or talk about our pay publicly in ANY form.

A bunch of employees are pissed off, because less-qualified employees are making more money than people with better qualifications. Other employees that had more experience (8 years of experience), were making "X" amount of dollars less than employees with 4 years of experience. (Same background/qualifications)

Some employees also were pissed off because this was VERY personal information, and it was now public to everyone within our organization.

Another scenario was an employee that had a higher-level job in our organization. Our boss stated that he would be making "X" amount of dollars, and he agreed to it. The email also included the minimum pay that you were supposed to make for each position. Turns out that this employee should have been making about "X" amount of dollars more per hour the whole time, but our boss never told him about that. He never knew until the email was leaked.

Our boss sent us an apology through email stating that it was a "mistake". We also received an email from our boss' boss, apologizing as well.

A meeting was held a few days later and our boss read us a 2 sentence apology from a sheet of paper, and continued on as if nothing had happened. Showed no remorse for anyone.

Can anything be done, LEGALLY? Possibly..

CLIFF NOTES:
-Boss sends email that was supposed to contain a "form" for employees to fill out
-Email actually contains a document with EVERY employees pay rate
-Every employee signed form before taking the job stating that pay rates are not allowed to be discussed, and action would be taken if caught.
-Employees get pissed off, discover they may have been getting $%#@ over.
-Boss apologizes, apology seems insincere. Causes drama within the organization.

What do you do for a living and is it worth getting upset over if its a crappy/temp job?

Is it a "right to work" state?

Do you all have an external HR dept?

Originally Posted by USABasketball08

Another scenario was an employee that had a higher-level job in our organization. Our boss stated that he would be making "X" amount of dollars, and he agreed to it. The email also included the minimum pay that you were supposed to make for each position. Turns out that this employee should have been making about "X" amount of dollars more per hour the whole time, but our boss never told him about that. He never knew until the email was leaked.
grimey...I'd be pissed

Originally Posted by sillyputty

What do you do for a living and is it worth getting upset over if its a crappy/temp job?

Is it a "right to work" state?

Do you all have an external HR dept?
For me, yes the job is temporary. I'm still a college student and this is only a job that I will have temporarily until I graduate.

To the older employees, this job is life. Some employees have been with the organization for almost 10 years, and have degrees in the field.

I am not sure if we have an external HR dept, but I'm sure we do. The organization has different branches in states across the country.

The organization is divided into smaller divisions by city. (Ex: _______ of Houston, New York, Cleveland etc.)

laugh.gif

I always thought the notion of not knowing what your co-workers make is silly and driven by major corporations to keep salaries down.

Is that is what is surprising?

Everybody gets paid different to do the same job because no one likes to share that information, it is faux pas to discuss.  We all know what millionaires make, and what athletes make (public record) and it drives their market.

If I was in your shoes I would take the valuable information you received and use it to your advantage.  If you feel you are doing more than "X" and now you know "X" gets paid more than you do, it will be easier to ask for that raise.

Corporate America has successfully managed to turn everyone into mindless drones.

You know why they make you sign that paper so YOU won't share your salary figure, they don't want people to compete for a higher salary.

Think about it, keepings salary info a secret benefits who?

It was obviously an accident. Dude even apologized, what more do you want?

If you are upset because you think you should make more money based on what other employees make then say something but otherwise who gives a crap? Accidents happen; you think you should be entitled to money because everyone at your company knows how much you make per hour? Check your contract you're probably an employee at will. You should start a bunch of drama and see what happens to your job.

I'm not upset, I'm actually somewhat content with my rate of pay. Not to mention the job is only temporary, for me at least.
laugh.gif

Compared to the older employees in the organization I thought it was pretty funny, but to them, it's a really big deal because they've been there longer than me.

With that said, I still wanted to know what could be done about the situation, in legal terms.

It's a grimy situation, thought I'd share it with you guys.

There is nothing you can do legally, like I said the agreement you signed is so YOU don't share your salary information. As you can so those figures float within the company. Legal, Accounting, HR, Execs all can have that info with the snap of their fingers. The only thing that went wrong is that the mindless drones now have that info, but they are too pissed/petty to know what to do with that knowledge. Instead of using it to their advantage they will mope.

If anything the higher ups are more concerned, since they probably see rate increases as imminent, and that hurts the bottom line.

Nothing really grimy about it, knowledge was just dropped and it's "grimy".
Edit- You say you are not bent, but seeking legal action/options 
laugh.gif
.  Ok, boss.

One day I hope you make it above mid-executive level.  You will see that when it comes to salaries/hourly rate, the playing field isn't level, but the ones to blame are them.  They refuse to share information that can help them in the long run.

that is an awkward situation.. i think something can be done legally if it's stated in a contract.

On my end, I'm not upset. I don't personally want to do anything legal about it.

I asked if anything could be done about it legally, to compare what was said here to the approach that other employees may take in dealing with the whole thing.

I find the whole situation interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the older employees attempt to do.

I kind of just have my popcorn ready, sitting back waiting to see what they do.
laugh.gif

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Public disclosure[/h3]
Public disclosure of private facts arises where one person reveals information which is not of public concern, and the release of which would offend a reasonable person.[sup][13][/sup] "Unlike libel or slander, truth is not a defense for invasion of privacy."[sup][14][/sup] Disclosure of private facts includes publishing or widespread dissemination of little-known, private facts that are non-newsworthy, not part of public records, public proceedings, not of public interest, and would be offensive to a reasonable person if made public.[sup][12][/sup]

[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy_laws_of_the_United_States#cite_note-64.233.169.104-11[/sup]

this usually deals with medical records, academic records, and other info of that nature, but consult with an attorney. you never know he might feel you have a cause of action based on this, or something similar.

There's nothing they can do legally. The only thing the older/underpaid employees can do is ask for a raise to what another employee makes.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Public disclosure[/h3]
Public disclosure of private facts arises where one person reveals information which is not of public concern, and the release of which would offend a reasonable person.[sup][13][/sup] "Unlike libel or slander, truth is not a defense for invasion of privacy."[sup][14][/sup] Disclosure of private facts includes publishing or widespread dissemination of little-known, private facts that are non-newsworthy, not part of public records, public proceedings, not of public interest, and would be offensive to a reasonable person if made public.[sup][12][/sup]

[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy_laws_of_the_United_States#cite_note-64.233.169.104-11[/sup]

this usually deals with medical records, academic records, and other info of that nature, but consult with an attorney. you never know he might feel you have a cause of action based on this, or something similar.

Believe it or not, salaries/pay rates are "public records", so there is nothing that can be done.
I'm a driven hard working person, so this would definitely be used to my advantage as opposed to getting my feelings hurt like some of the folks in your office, 
laugh.gif

So now they know they are underpaid, lesson learned, it's what happens when you get comfortable and don't seek information.

Like I said, keeping salary info private only helps the company you work for, it doesn't help you or your fellow co-workers at all.

Back
Top Bottom