Boston Help

Hey Boston NT'ers, just looking for a good neighborhood to reside in? I will be going to grad school in Boston and have a very rough idea of the various neighborhoods. Is the public transportation decent? I will be bringing a car, but just would rather take the train to school. Also, how much should I expect to pay in rent monthly? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Hey Boston NT'ers, just looking for a good neighborhood to reside in? I will be going to grad school in Boston and have a very rough idea of the various neighborhoods. Is the public transportation decent? I will be bringing a car, but just would rather take the train to school. Also, how much should I expect to pay in rent monthly? Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Where are you going to school? Allston/Brighton area is solid. Are you planning on having a roommate?

Depends where you're going to school. I lived out in Brighton for a couple years while my girl went to B.C but I wasn't a fan. Rent was cheap but it's like all the city hassles without actually being in the city. 

the transit system sucks imo, but all major schools are near a train...well except for tufts university. and umass lowell.

rent around boston is shockingly high. for a decent 1BR expect 1500 or more per month (i see a lot pushing 2k). i almost never see spots for less, but they exist. the big thing with boston/greater boston is that a lot of the housing is multi room, so even finding a one bedroom is very very difficult. if u have to commute 30min to school because u find an affordable rent spot, do it. boston is a very small city, it doesn't take long to get around, ESP with a car and no traffic. and draw the line when it comes to rent. some spots are priced just based off location, but the apt can be absolute trash.

as a NYer, the transit here in boston is booty. terrible design, and they need new trains like there is no tmrw, especially the orange line. there are only a handful of lines and they all converge on one or two stops. on the other hand, its a small city, so travel time isn't that long at least via subway.

boston is huge on permit parking. know that. i'd invest in a bike, biking is big here and can make travel a lot easier.

best spot depends where u go to school, but areas to check out:

jamaica plain
allston
somerville (good luck)
south boston
charlestown
brookline

generally, if u live close to a subway line, the rent will reflect it. so a neighborhood like watertown, rent is VERY affordable. downside tho is u are gonna need ur car/bike, u wont be able to walk to a train to go enjoy nightlife.

not that I'm moving there, but how quick is the response to snowfall?

do the streets get cleared in an adequate enough manner for a workday rush hour in the event of an inch (or several)?

it depends on your age and what school you go too..

allston/brighton is ok if you're 21-25, but get used to the lack of diversity

the MBTA transit system isnt as good at MTA, but its still a pretty easy to get around the city (besides the green line).

a 1 bedroom is gonna run you from 1300-2000..

the ron ron epidemic is out in the outskirts of the city and suburbia..

response to snow is pretty quick most of the time..we get it every year...everyone is used to it...sometimes there's no where to put it, causing parking issues but normally its fine..public transpo normally is still running through snow...

If you have the money then then You can't really beat the north or south end. The seaport is decent. Since you haven't responded nobody even knows what you're looking for though.

Also Boston.com put out an article not too long ago saying you need to make a minimum of $120k to live comfortably by yourself in the city. 2k a month for a one bed and 3k for a two bed. I believe in terms of expensive places to live we are third behind SF and NY

I will be going to the Carroll school of management. Appreciate all of the feedback, did my undergrad in the Bay Area so it sounds comparable I. Terms of cost of living. I def underestimated the cost of living for sure in Boston. Thanks for all the replies

Last edited:
Was thinking about living on-campus in Cambridge when I got accepted into B-School. BC is a little out west from where I would've been. I'd suggest you stay on-campus.

it depends on your age and what school you go too..

allston/brighton is ok if you're 21-25, but get used to the lack of diversity

the MBTA transit system isnt as good at MTA, but its still a pretty easy to get around the city (besides the green line).

a 1 bedroom is gonna run you from 1300-2000..

the ron ron epidemic is out in the outskirts of the city and suburbia..

response to snow is pretty quick most of the time..we get it every year...everyone is used to it...sometimes there's no where to put it, causing parking issues but normally its fine..public transpo normally is still running through snow...

bold for emphasis. this man ain't lying.

Are you hell bent on living right in the city? There's definitely more affordable options that are accessible to the MBTA. Are you going to be enrolled full-time, M-F @ BC? If you only need to be there a couple days a week or so it may be worth looking into cheaper alternatives.

I will be going to the Carroll school of management. Appreciate all of the feedback, did my undergrad in the Bay Area so it sounds comparable I. Terms of cost of living. I def underestimated the cost of living for sure in Boston. Thanks for all the replies
B.C is outside the city and many people choose to live in the Alston/Brighton/Brookline area while they go there. Great school though so best of luck

To my knowledge it's on the green line. Not sure about the speed of the rail. But ideally I would not like more than a 35 minute commute from my home. I will have a car too soon outside of the city is fine. If it's anything like BART (not the fastest) I probably wouldn't want to live too far.

Last edited:
If you're out in the Alston/Brighton area having a car is a must and any apartment out there will come with parking. Commute from there is 10 minutes tops.

Brighton is cool if you can find a few roommates

My brother lived in the North End on Hanover street before moving to PR.  

Get some food from one of the many places around the north end then eat it on the apartment rooftop and chill. 
pimp.gif

Last edited:
You can't really beat the north end but there's no parking and it costs $300 a month to keep your car in a nearby garage. You're not going to want to get out to BC daily from there with no car.

Those pictures bring back a lot of good memories. I actually took the biggest L of my life down there. I was on the balcony of a spot on prince st. Late night and some chick just started pissing on the sidewalk below me so I said something. Two guys she was with called me out so I went down there thinking I'd just wash the two of them and go back home...wrong... I got down there and it was 6 on 1 and I had leather soled dress shoes on. Needless to say it didn't go my way.

laugh.gif

I need to hit up a feast  on Hanover this summer. Haven't been in about a decade.

Joey Bova's
smokin.gif

:lol:

I need to hit up a feast  on Hanover this summer. Haven't been in about a decade.

Joey Bova's :smokin

:pimp: just grabbed some congo bars the other day.

Thats a good call I haven't been to a feast forever. Food down there is A1

what is this feast you speak of? :nerd: still exploring the food scene here...

Yeah I'm talking Natick, Framingham area might even save him some dough.

yo that's MAD far lol.

Through the summer they hold festivals in the North end where they line the streets up with food and have music and a parade where they carry a statue of whoever they're celebrating. I think St Anthony's feast is usually the last weekend of August and it's a good size. It gets packed down there but it can be a good time.

Back
Top Bottom