Breaking: Gentry Humphrey Headed Back to Jordan Brand

I'm just as disappointed as the rest of you and know that both Larry Miller and Howard White the President and Vice president of Jordan Brand both love Gentry. I will give G this though, initially it was his idea to bring the retro line back in 99..

Pretty sure it started in 1994 and he had nothing to do with it. Nice try, Gentry.

Yep, def started in 94 and would have continued if he wouldn't have came back in 95. Once he retired after 98 chip, they just continued the course they started. They stopped the retro line when he came back because they didn't move as much as they wanted, but also didn't want to take away from the current sig MJ was selling. People weren't embracing the retro concept as much. I don't think he was the reason it started back up again in 99.

Wow. You just killed that man.

That post was a machete to the dome.

I fear he is not done though. I saw a finger move.

tumblr_inline_nxru6bR7kh1tcrqyq_500.gif

Last edited:
Yep, def started in 94 and would have continued if he wouldn't have came back in 95. Once he retired after 98 chip, they just continued the course they started. They stopped the retro line when he came back because they didn't move as much as they wanted, but also didn't want to take away from the current sig MJ was selling. People weren't embracing the retro concept as much. I don't think he was the reason it started back up again in 99.

lets keep it a buck g, retros tanked in 94'.

i remember jordans I-III tie wrapped in plastic bins for 19.99.

This...Military Blues were the worst in my eyes and the Mars pair was certainly on par with those...

For me 2005 through 2012 we’re hands down the worst quality years for the brand...They had hits here and there (DMP’s for example), but the releases were by and large just shoddy quality sneakers...Comparable to early 00’s swap meet knockoffs...

2011 Orion 7s were legitimately made of cardboard.

Gotta give the guy one thing. He kept the brand relevant even while pumping out trash. It helped that other brands disappeared and Nike Basketball struggled in the early 2000s, but JB did keep its spot.

Like someone else mentioned, Nike/JB had 0 competition back then. Adidas was literally a 0 factor.

Like someone else mentioned, Nike/JB had 0 competition back then. Adidas was literally a 0 factor.
I bought more adidas 01-04 than I did Jordan but I prefer low tops and adidas was putting out decent ZX releases and superstars with the flat tongue.

I bought more adidas 01-04 than I did Jordan but I prefer low tops and adidas was putting out decent ZX releases and superstars with the flat tongue.

I meant strictly in terms of sneakerhead hype competition. People have been buying shelltoes/superstars forever, Adidas has always been pretty popular generally.

So were the white varsity 6s. YouTube reviewers had the nerve to say they were soft. Its because they were paper thin.

:lol: currently wearing my beater Varsity red 6’s while in line at a post office. Leather is decent on the toe panel now because they’ve been broken in for about 7 years now but the upper around the ankle was always garbage.

I'm pretty sure Gentry (or somebody on Gentry's team) is defending him in a debate with me on SoleCollector :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Some anonymous account kept defending Gentry and at one point he said "The cost for me to produce a Jordan in 1998 is substantially lower then it would be in 2018."

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but if I can confirm it's actually him I'll post back here.

Terrible news. I'm definitely not looking forward to the future for Jordan Brand. We used to have so many threads about this idiot back in the mid 2000s for some of his decisions like not adding NA on the OG models & butchering one of my favorite silhouette, the IVs.

Back
Top Bottom