Breaking: Gentry Humphrey Headed Back to Jordan Brand

I have a lot of old SC mags that I have read through again. Been years since Ive looked at them really. SC def liked Gentry and interviewed a lot. In 06 he said he was going to limit retros and did as we all know. What I never liked the most was his belief in preserving the shoes for collectors that had them from "day one". I never had 1-5 originals, so does that make me wrong for that and undeserving of a retro to match them? Hell no. Same goes for anyone younger. He even admitted that his first Js were givin to him from a sales rep within JB. Calling himself a connoisseur, not a collector shows his appreciation to nothing a lot of us value in here. If JB really wanting to go back to the limited/prestige route, then he fits in perfect for that because that was all he was about. Its real easy for him to show off all his samples and rare kicks when most were probably just given to him.

I'm pretty sure Gentry (or somebody on Gentry's team) is defending him in a debate with me on SoleCollector :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Some anonymous account kept defending Gentry and at one point he said "The cost for me to produce a Jordan in 1998 is substantially lower then it would be in 2018."

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but if I can confirm it's actually him I'll post back here.

Tell him (Gentry) to come on NT and get this work.

It seems like GH simply made sure JB was producing garbage low quality retros with weird changes here and there and no Nike Air whatsoever to the public so that he could be happy with his own collection and earn some money with it. He says he cares about OG collectors.. yeah right. The problem is those are just minorities and a lot of people who grew up in the 80s&90s once actually owned OGs and don't have them anymore because they actually wore them. Furthermore, there are people that wanted to purchase OGs but couldn't because they were too young to afford them. OGs are nostalgic to a lot of people and many young generations who became a fan of MJ and his legacy want to be a part of it. But he's a selfish individual so he wants to ruin retros just to make himself feel special. Selfish individual like him who doesn't care about the brand image and major consumers' demand for his own good should never have a huge role within the brand imo.

Last edited:
If he makes stuff more limited than what it is I'm done .

It seems like GH simply made sure JB was producing garbage low quality retros with weird changes here and there and no Nike Air whatsoever to the public so that he could be happy with his own collection and earn some money with it. He says he cares about OG collectors.. yeah right. The problem is those are just minorities and a lot of people who grew up in the 80s&90s once actually owned OGs and don't have them anymore because they actually wore them. Furthermore, there are people that wanted to purchase OGs but couldn't because they were too young to afford them. OGs are nostalgic to a lot of people and many young generations who became a fan of MJ and his legacy want to be a part of it. But he's a selfish individual so he wants to ruin retros just to make himself feel special. Selfish individual like him who doesn't care about the brand image and major consumers' demand for his own good should never have a huge role within the brand imo.

The thing is, if GH wants to limit production, it’s basically assured that quality is going to diminish as less pairs are now being sold so the profit margin per pair sold needs to increase. Only way to do that (from a supply side) is to lower production cost/materials cost per pair and/or increase retail price.

It seems like GH simply made sure JB was producing garbage low quality retros with no Nike Air whatsoever to the public so that he could be happy with his own collection and earn some money with it. He says he cares about OG collectors.. yeah right. The problem is those are just minorities and a lot of people who grew up in the 80s&90s once actually owned OGs and don't have them anymore because they actually wore them. Furthermore, there are people that wanted to purchase OGs but couldn't because they were too young to afford them. OGs are nostalgic to a lot of people and many young generations who became a fan of MJ and his legacy want to be a part of it. But he's a selfish individual so he wants to ruin retros just to make himself feel special. Selfish individual like him who doesn't care about the brand image and major consumers' demand for his own good should never have a huge role within the brand imo.
True collectors do not care about image. They don't care about prestige. If making money is his goal solely then he will not succeed in the long run. The Brand is founded on nostalgia. The past keeps JB relevant. Period. They need to understand and respect that. You can tell all the stories you want. Just tell them correctly.

gentry-humphrey-in-nike-air-foamposite-pro-asteroid-2.jpg

gentry-humphrey-in-nike-air-foamposite-pro-asteroid-3.jpg
good Lord, that NT denim :rofl:

My first prediction is that OG branded 1’s are going back in the chamber.

If this happens, this would legitimately be the dumbest thing JB has ever done. There is a reason people don’t but Jumpman-branded 1s at retail-people see them as inferior products to OG 1s. Ending the OG 1 releases will not suddenly make us all start buying Jumpman 1s.

So let's say he put all retros in the vault for a yr to push the other shoes what will be the outcome lol

:lol: Adidias and Yeezy could jump over the jumpman. Number 4 spot, that is where they are heading to. What Gentry did the last time around won't fly this time around.

Exactly, market is totally different now. Besides more competition, consumers won’t buy consolation prizes at the expense of what they truly want. They’ll simply move on. The average consumer(not the small sneakerhead community) doesn’t care about limited crap or collectors feelings, they want what they want, when they want it.

It’s sick to think that Brand Jordan actually dominated during his reign and most of us here bought all the garbage. There were dope color ways, I couldn’t lie about that but the quality was horrible. We were all wrapped in purely by nostalgia.

By the way, there is no debate on this...the Orion 7s were the worst quality shoe I have ever touched, with the 4s from 2006 a close second. I’m still disgusted by those...

Back
Top Bottom