Brian Scalabrine "The White Mamba" challeging people 1 on 1

Originally back in December:

http://www.thevictoryformation.com/2012/12/20/brian-scalabrine-will-beat-anyone-in-boston-in-1-on-1/

Brian Scalabrine will destroy you 1-on-1
The White Mamba has a challenge, are you read to accept? The former Boston Celtics forward who is now a broadcaster with Comcast SportsNet New England, is sick and tired of hearing fans dog his talent, and that of other players who sit at the end of an NBA bench.

While speaking on ESPN Chicago radio, Scalabrine described a challenge which he has issued to fans in Boston:

“In Boston right now, we have this challenge going out. I do a radio show out there, and there are people on the street that really believe they can beat me. So we’re doing tryouts for the top 10 people in Boston to play me one-on-one.

“And we’re playing to 11. And we’re gonna film it, everything. The reality of people and what they think NBA players are like. I’m the last guy on the bench and I will kick your butt if you’re out on the streets. It’s just the way it is.”

Tell me you wouldn’t want to watch this? People always joke about the scrubs of the NBA, and how outmatched they look at times. Regardless, they, like Scalabrine, are on an NBA roster. That’s not easy to do.

While there weren’t many nights with crazy production from Scalabrine, he did manage to have a performance or two, most notably was Game 5 of the 2004 Eastern Conference Semifinals as a member of the New Jersey Nets. He was 6 of 7 from the field, including 4 of 4 from beyond the arc in a triple OT win.

-------------------------------
Updated today 1/22/13 - Video of the complete 3 games is in the link or here: http://boston.cbslocal.com/video/8213307-toucher-richs-scallenge/

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/01/22/toucher-richs-scallenge-no-challenge-for-brian-scalabrine/

Beat the challengers a combined 44-6

BOSTON (CBS) – Sick of hearing that the average Joe could beat him out on the hardwood, Brian Scalabrine was on a mission.

And given the results of last week’s “Scallenge,” it was mission accomplished for the “White Mamba.”

Scalabrine, who retired over the summer after a very serviceable 11-year NBA career, took on four of Boston’s best ballers in 98.5 The Sports Hub’s 1-on-1 “Scallenge,” put on by morning hosts Toucher & Rich.

Listeners sent in their try-out videos, showing off their skills and talking some trash towards Scal, but it turns out even Boston’s best was no match for Scalabrine.

He said before the “Scallenge” it would be no challenge, and Scalabrine did not disappoint on that proclamation.

Scalabrine — who spent the last few seasons of his career seen as the “human victory cigar” — easily defeated all four of his opponents, throwing down monstrous jams and sinking smooth jumpers as he beat them all by a combined score of 44-6.

But Scal applauded his competitors for their effort.

“When you go into a game you have to realize that these guys can play,” Scal said of his opponents. “They’re strong, they’ve played against guys quicker than me, they’ve played against guys bigger than me, they’ve played against guys stronger than me.”

“I was expecting what I was expecting today,” he said. “The only thing I think they weren’t expecting was my size defensively; how good I can cover ground defensively.”

First up was Matt Tomaszewski, a Syracuse alum that spent time on Jim Boeheim’s bench last season. Though his resume was impressive, he was no match for Scalabrine. After Tomaszewski scored the competition’s first hoop with a nice floater, Scal took over. While it was as close as 7-3 after a nifty hook shot from Tomaszewski, Scal finished him off by attacking the basket, and walked away with his first victory of the day by a score of 11-3.

The “Scallenge”:

Scal had no problems with his next two opponents, Jake Fay of Lynn and Rich Morantus of Foxboro. Neither scored a point, as Scal posted back-to-back shutouts.

“It was fun playing against an NBA player; it was a once in a lifetime thing. It was fun,” said Fay. “I knew going into it that if he wanted to

The rules for Toucher & Rich’s 1-on-1 “Scallenge.” (Photo by Justin Opiechowski/98.5 The Sports Hub)
beat me he could beat me at any point, but, he was playing hard and it was tough.”

“It was pretty much what I expected,” said Morantus. “He was pretty quick, but I thought he’d be pretty quick — he had to guard NBA caliber guys. I just couldn’t hit a shot. I couldn’t make a shot for my life. I wasn’t expecting really to win, but I thought I’d make it a better game.”

Fatigue appeared to set in as Scal took on his last challenger, Jon Hazzard of Uxbridge. Hazzard took a 2-1 lead thanks to an early shot from downtown, but Scalabrine rattled off eight-straight thanks to a pair of deep 2’s and a few nice runners. After exchanging missed shots with Hazzard, Scal eventually came out on top 11-3, and finished the day a perfect 4-0 against his challengers.

“He’s quick defensively,” said Hazzard. “He’s long and his length really bothered me. Some of the shots I can usually get off I couldn’t get off. The ball just didn’t go my way. He hits some big threes, I had one rim out and that really changed the tone of the game.”

Photo Gallery: Toucher & Rich’s 1-on-1 “Scallenge”

Just for good measure, Scalabrine also took on the Toucher & Rich trio of Fred Toucher, Rich Shertenlieb and Jon Wallach, though the three didn’t put up much of a fight given their power in numbers. Scalabrine made quick work of them 11-1, with the Sports Hub’s squads only bucket a layup by Wallach.

--------------

At least he pulled through and took the challenge while taping all of it. The White Mamba :smokin

I always laugh when people think they could take an NBA player.

But D1, I'm convinced I would kill David Stockton, like straight up murder him, and I'm no good.

I would've lost 11-0 but damb that was the best boston had to offer?

still wouldn't expect anyone to beat him but thought there might be at least one dude that could put up at least 6 points or something

I always laugh when people think they could take an NBA player.

But D1, I'm convinced I would kill David Stockton, like straight up murder him, and I'm no good.

Same, NBA bench warmer could take the best rec baller you see.

But :x at me for watching 30 mins of Scalabrine, but at least he had the guts to tape and back up his words.

None of those guys he went up against looked overly impressive IMO.

Scal probably has 50-70 pounds on each of them also. way too physical for the average joe

I'm played against and beat quite a few dudes who are in the L right now and in the Pac 12/Big Sky/WCC and some other conferences in D1. *Shrugs*. (humblebrag)

But props to Scal for going all the way through with the challenge and destroying those cats. :pimp: :pimp:

Last edited:
I'm played against and beat quite a few dudes who are in the L right now and in the Pac 12/Big Sky/WCC and some other conferences in D1. *Shrugs*. (humblebrag)

But props to Scal for going all the way through with the challenge and destroying those cats. :pimp: :pimp:

As in 1 on 1?

I have played WITH and AGAINST tons of guys that are now in the league...And they are just silly with their size and athleticism. And I played in college lol.

If you're gonna humblebrag like that, let's get some names.

Dude is like 6-11". He'd have to beat guys within 3 inches of him for me to give him credit for that. I'm 5'8", I feel confident that I could dominate any dude 5 feet or shorter.

That's the thing, when people are critical of the big oaf centers, they are saying that their skill level isn't that great. But obviously they are good players because of size and strength.

That first dude was awful, but your not gonna stop him at that size, and he would be hard as hell to shoot over. 

laugh.gif
 Scalabreens

My 206 heads know you can catch this dude at green lake on a hot summer day, almost guaranteed. He's good $ in my book.
nthat.gif

I can tell every single player he played had game for a rec player. They were just over matched in every single way. Height, weight...and Scal was as quick as the quickest person.

I was pretty impressed by Scal's variety of moves, but not surprised he had that in his arsenal. Everyone in the nba can ball. Even the ones who only make it as far as training camp and get cut and are never heard from again.

think the first guy was a walk on at cuse nd the others played at small schools
scal got gm, wasn't he dominating euro league during lockout

Back
Top Bottom