Burn Very SLOWEY in Hell Ron Gardenhire! Pulls pitcher amidst no-hitter.

Originally Posted by JPZx

Originally Posted by djaman

I personally thought he should have been out there for the 8th. What if he throws 8 pitches in the 8th? Going into the 9th on 115 pitches is not excessive. If he gives up a hit in the 8th, fine, yank him. Heck, Slowey had two weeks off since his last start, his arm probably felt better than it had since spring training.
This is my exact logic. It's two innings. You're responsible for Kevin Slowey's arm, sure, but no one knows how long or how how short those two innings could be.

Maybe if it was 1-0 I could see Gardenhire's reasoning seeing as how Slowey was already a little erratic at that point despite having a no-hitter, but the Twins had a 4-0 lead.

I just don't see any excuse for it. I've never really complained about Gardenhire's "100 pitches and call it a day" philosophy, but this is just despicable in my eyes.
smh.gif
Would you rather have Joe Torre?

Okay then shut up and let the decision be.
Im all for guys going after no hitters, but winning the game is more important and if Slowey starts giving up  a hit or 2 then you just put a pen guy in a tougher position hoping that a guy who just came off the DL has the stamina to keep pitching well.

Originally Posted by djaman

I personally thought he should have been out there for the 8th. What if he throws 8 pitches in the 8th? Going into the 9th on 115 pitches is not excessive. If he gives up a hit in the 8th, fine, yank him. Heck, Slowey had two weeks off since his last start, his arm probably felt better than it had since spring training.
This is my exact logic. It's two innings. You're responsible for Kevin Slowey's arm, sure, but no one knows how long or how how short those two innings could be.

Maybe if it was 1-0 I could see Gardenhire's reasoning seeing as how Slowey was already a little erratic at that point despite having a no-hitter, but the Twins had a 4-0 lead.

I just don't see any excuse for it. I've never really complained about Gardenhire's "100 pitches and call it a day" philosophy, but this is just despicable in my eyes.
smh.gif
Would you rather have Joe Torre?

Okay then shut up and let the decision be.
Im all for guys going after no hitters, but winning the game is more important and if Slowey starts giving up  a hit or 2 then you just put a pen guy in a tougher position hoping that a guy who just came off the DL has the stamina to keep pitching well.

Originally Posted by jdizzle75

Gardenhire is the reason you guys are competitive every year.
Yeah.

Not Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Joe Nathan, Denard Span, Jason Kubel, Johan Santana, Francisco Liriano, Torii Hunter, Matt Garza, or Brad Radke.

But Ron Gardenhire.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jdizzle75

Gardenhire is the reason you guys are competitive every year.
Yeah.

Not Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Joe Nathan, Denard Span, Jason Kubel, Johan Santana, Francisco Liriano, Torii Hunter, Matt Garza, or Brad Radke.

But Ron Gardenhire.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by grusumm18

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Does this have precedence? The entire notion sounds insane.
dude, there are combined nohitters

i think there are around 10
vida blue had one...most recent one i remember was 9/11 wit merker, wholers, and someone else
i think the astros had a 6 banger with saarloos, dotel, and others
I'm talking about when the pitcher is 9 outs away from a no no. Not those 6 pitcher, 9 innings no hitters.

I wonder if this would be done if he had a perfect game going in to the 7th. The manager's excuses were pretty weak. My whole thing even for a complete games is that the pitcher won't get pulled unless he starts getting in trouble; consecutive hits/walks or a home run with men on base.

Originally Posted by grusumm18

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Does this have precedence? The entire notion sounds insane.
dude, there are combined nohitters

i think there are around 10
vida blue had one...most recent one i remember was 9/11 wit merker, wholers, and someone else
i think the astros had a 6 banger with saarloos, dotel, and others
I'm talking about when the pitcher is 9 outs away from a no no. Not those 6 pitcher, 9 innings no hitters.

I wonder if this would be done if he had a perfect game going in to the 7th. The manager's excuses were pretty weak. My whole thing even for a complete games is that the pitcher won't get pulled unless he starts getting in trouble; consecutive hits/walks or a home run with men on base.

some of you are idiots and probably never heard of kevin slowey until just today, if you tracked his career like i have (thanks to fantasy baseball I had this guy for the past 3 years) you'll realize he has injury issues but is a STUD when healthy. one of the most accurate and precise pitchers in baseball. gardenhire knows what he was doing, protecting this kid's arm and make a playoff run. who knows, maybe in the future he'll get another chance at throwing a no hitter....big credit though for slowey acting grown up about it.

some of you are idiots and probably never heard of kevin slowey until just today, if you tracked his career like i have (thanks to fantasy baseball I had this guy for the past 3 years) you'll realize he has injury issues but is a STUD when healthy. one of the most accurate and precise pitchers in baseball. gardenhire knows what he was doing, protecting this kid's arm and make a playoff run. who knows, maybe in the future he'll get another chance at throwing a no hitter....big credit though for slowey acting grown up about it.

pitch count is so stupid. it should be up to the pitcher if he can make through the game

seriously Charlie does this to with the Phils. Hamels or Oswalt pitching a good game (5 hits 1 run 9ks or something like that) but through 8 innings, close to 110 pitches, here comes cholly.
eyes.gif
..... sometimes you can see the frustration on them.....

he lets Doc go 140 pitches though
roll.gif

but he blew a few games because of this Madson/Lidge ftl.....
laugh.gif
tired.gif

pitch count is so stupid. it should be up to the pitcher if he can make through the game

seriously Charlie does this to with the Phils. Hamels or Oswalt pitching a good game (5 hits 1 run 9ks or something like that) but through 8 innings, close to 110 pitches, here comes cholly.
eyes.gif
..... sometimes you can see the frustration on them.....

he lets Doc go 140 pitches though
roll.gif

but he blew a few games because of this Madson/Lidge ftl.....
laugh.gif
tired.gif

If you fail to look at it from Gardenhire's POV and realize that this kid's elbow has never been all that healthy of course you're going to get your panties all twisted that he took him out. Wanting to go after a no hitter instead of looking in the long run and having all of your horses healthy and ready for the stretch run and the playoff is why we're on NT and Gardenhire is on the bench.

If you fail to look at it from Gardenhire's POV and realize that this kid's elbow has never been all that healthy of course you're going to get your panties all twisted that he took him out. Wanting to go after a no hitter instead of looking in the long run and having all of your horses healthy and ready for the stretch run and the playoff is why we're on NT and Gardenhire is on the bench.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Im all for guys going after no hitters, but winning the game is more important
It was 4-0 when they took him out. If he gives up one hit, take him out. The worst that can come from that one hit is a home run, and even if that happens we're still up by 3 runs. Don't give me that "trying to win the game" crap. That wasn't the reasoning.
Originally Posted by Proshares

Wanting to go after a no hitter instead of looking in the long run and having all of your horses healthy

It's two innings.

At that point when he was taken out, Slowey had pitched seven and hadn't complained at all about his elbow hurting. Who knows how quick those next two can be? If he gives up one hit... one single hit, take him out right away. Like others have said, he was on about 10 days of rest, I'm sure his arm felt the best that it's ever felt this season.

Some of you are insinuating that no hitters are just for the fan's pleasure. The celebrations after the Garza, Braden, Halladay, etc. no hitter's this season by the players on the teams contradicts that.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Im all for guys going after no hitters, but winning the game is more important
It was 4-0 when they took him out. If he gives up one hit, take him out. The worst that can come from that one hit is a home run, and even if that happens we're still up by 3 runs. Don't give me that "trying to win the game" crap. That wasn't the reasoning.
Originally Posted by Proshares

Wanting to go after a no hitter instead of looking in the long run and having all of your horses healthy

It's two innings.

At that point when he was taken out, Slowey had pitched seven and hadn't complained at all about his elbow hurting. Who knows how quick those next two can be? If he gives up one hit... one single hit, take him out right away. Like others have said, he was on about 10 days of rest, I'm sure his arm felt the best that it's ever felt this season.

Some of you are insinuating that no hitters are just for the fan's pleasure. The celebrations after the Garza, Braden, Halladay, etc. no hitter's this season by the players on the teams contradicts that.

That right arm has been through a lot with wrist surgery last year and now elbow tendinitis only a week ago, it's not something that typically goes away right away. Yea it's only two more innings but you don't risk that even for two innings.

No one's saying no hitters are just for fan pleasures but you're trying to say that him going out there to go after the no hitter needed to happen and it can't be argued to the contrary and I disagree. Health is first and foremost especially when it comes to elbows and especially when it comes to pitchers whose arm has had big trouble in the past and has very tight rotation on their curveballs/sliders.

Twins fans should be the first to know this with the situation with Liriano.

That right arm has been through a lot with wrist surgery last year and now elbow tendinitis only a week ago, it's not something that typically goes away right away. Yea it's only two more innings but you don't risk that even for two innings.

No one's saying no hitters are just for fan pleasures but you're trying to say that him going out there to go after the no hitter needed to happen and it can't be argued to the contrary and I disagree. Health is first and foremost especially when it comes to elbows and especially when it comes to pitchers whose arm has had big trouble in the past and has very tight rotation on their curveballs/sliders.

Twins fans should be the first to know this with the situation with Liriano.

Ron Gardenhire let Liriano pitch a 116 pitch game this year.....

Ron Gardenhire let Liriano pitch a 116 pitch game this year.....

I'm saying from his great 2006 to missing 2007 and struggling in 2008 and 2009 from Tommy John, not anything from this year. He's shown he's fully recooperated from the surgery but 4 years later.

I'm saying from his great 2006 to missing 2007 and struggling in 2008 and 2009 from Tommy John, not anything from this year. He's shown he's fully recooperated from the surgery but 4 years later.

Francisco Liriano was a different situation in itself though.

He had a crazy sidearm delivery that really was the issue in getting that injury, plus he was 23 at the time. The team was expecting him to be their next Santana and was pitching him nearly as much as Santana was.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Slowey took himself out of the start before this because of the elbow soreness. If the kid took himself out then, I think you need to give him the respect in choosing that he knows when his arm hurts and when to risk it. Gardenhire just made an assumption.

Francisco Liriano was a different situation in itself though.

He had a crazy sidearm delivery that really was the issue in getting that injury, plus he was 23 at the time. The team was expecting him to be their next Santana and was pitching him nearly as much as Santana was.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Slowey took himself out of the start before this because of the elbow soreness. If the kid took himself out then, I think you need to give him the respect in choosing that he knows when his arm hurts and when to risk it. Gardenhire just made an assumption.

Back
Top Bottom