Business Majors

I'm currently an IS major, but im considering changing to marketing. Should I stick with IS because it's fairly new and has many opportunities or go the marketing route.

do what youll enjoy more. i have a marketing degree and have no second thoughts abt it.

in b4 business bashers.

Originally Posted by TheGr8BlkHope

do what youll enjoy more. i have a marketing degree and have no second thoughts abt it.

in b4 business bashers.

Cool do you work for a company? If so how do you like you're job?

in b4 business bashers.

Co-sign

Many will tell u to do a more popular major but stick to something you will enjoy

Recent marketing major grad checking in.

Like you said, there's lots more opportunities in IT. Prospects for marketing majors are pretty slim right now, unless you have/can make some good connections before you graduate (but this true for any major).

What school are you at? What are your interests?

Please understand that those who hate will come in and hate..

Diminish the value of a business degree to the 14th power...

It has the highest ceiling and lowest floor in regards to salary.

My advice is to stick with what you like. Cop your information systems degree and minor in business.

Then, make it a priority to get an mba...

Originally Posted by JJ1223

Like you said, there's lots more opportunities in IT. Prospects for marketing majors are pretty slim right now, unless you have/can make some good connections before you graduate (but this true for any major).

I'm at uab now and I'm into computers and crap like that but sitting in business class i liked the marketing aspect.

Originally Posted by vell23

I'm currently an IS major, but im considering changing to marketing. Should I stick with IS because it's fairly new and has many opportunities or go the marketing route.
At my school IS was in the business school with marketing.
But anywho, stay in IS bro, the chance of you getting a job when you graduate will be so much higher than if you switch to marketing, even if you don't do particularly well.  Unless you absolutely hate IS it ain't worth switching out.

in b4 business bashers.

Cool do you work for a company? If so how do you like you're job?
I work for a retail electric supplier in Ohio. My job is pretty cool, it's more tailored to a sales career path but that's what I want to do. Got my BBA in marketing in 09 with a minor in professional sales. Found out I had more of an interest in sales in college, right after graduation. Marketing is a broad field and that can lead to a saturated job applicant pool. And a lot of BS companies will actually try and get you to sell stuff like insurance, or advertising space (those typically suck). It (the mktg degree) helps out though because you can pretty much spin it into any non-specialized business area. Just abt right timing and right company IMO. Does your college offer a dual major? In most cases it's just a couple more classes and doesnt really add on any substantial time. If you cant go dual, id suggest doing one for a major and one for a minor.

Originally Posted by ricky409

Please understand that those who hate will come in and hate..

Diminish the value of a business degree to the 14th power...

It has the highest ceiling and lowest floor in regards to salary.

My advice is to stick with what you like. Cop your information systems degree and minor in business.

Then, make it a priority to get an mba...
Very true. I co-sign this

I'm at uab now and I'm into computers and crap like that but sitting in business class i liked the marketing aspect.

My advise would be to take a couple marketing classes and see if it interests you enough to switch your major. Worst case scenario, you don't like it and it will only be a few more classes to make it a minor and you finish out IT. Best case scenario, you love it and double major or switch altogether.

Personally, I double majored in marketing and logistics. I'm not sure if UAB has a logistics/supply chain/procurement program, but I can tell you that job prospects are very high in that field and pretty well paying also. Everyone I just graduated with from my program had a paid internship while in school and multiple interviews for post-grad and in some cases multiple job offers. If you have a problem solving/analytic mind, I'd really recommend looking deeper into it.

I can co-sign pretty much everything TheGr8BlkHope said about being marketing major, too

All that aside, like everyone else said at the end of the day you have to do what you want and what makes you happy. Take some classes, talk to an advisor, talk to other kids on campus, and figure out what works best for you.

Good luck

IS has a lot of opportunity right now and not just related to strictly IS. The Big4 all have advisory teams that deal with IS and there are other consulting companies looking to hire those who have an IS background. 

Someones been watching too much Mad Men.... marketing is not a business degree.. it is a marketing degree you will learn how to market products which is a growing field despite what people think.

Social media marketing and SEO is the new way of the world. Comapnies want a presence on FB/Twitter/anything else social media related if you can find some quality internships this would be a good route to take, if not stick with info systems and have fun learning JAVA!

I would stay with IS for the reason you listed.

I have read a few articles of companies teaming up with universities and getting MBAs to do their marketing for free.  If this continues, it takes away job opportunities.

Originally Posted by OXspzFinder

Someones been watching too much Mad Men.... marketing is not a business degree.. it is a marketing degree you will learn how to market products which is a growing field despite what people think.

Social media marketing and SEO is the new way of the world. Comapnies want a presence on FB/Twitter/anything else social media related if you can find some quality internships this would be a good route to take, if not stick with info systems and have fun learning JAVA!

lol @ marketing not being a business degree... neither is finance or management then, right?

Originally Posted by OXspzFinder

lol @ marketing not being a business degree... neither is finance or management then, right?

yea, I dont know what he's smoking. You have to take general business classes along with your marketing classes to get a bachelors in business administration with a major/concentration in marketing. At least thats how drexel does it

Another Alabamian?
But yeah you should switch because I'm an IS major as well and  it'll be one less person for me to compete with

Originally Posted by blakep267

yea, I dont know what he's smoking. You have to take general business classes along with your marketing classes to get a bachelors in business administration with a major/concentration in marketing. At least thats how drexel does it

shiddddd... i thought this was the norm...
BBA-FIN... BBA-MKTG... BBA-MGMT

BS in entrepreneurship...about to start in a month... 3 year program (trimesters) entrepreneurs school of asia...opinions?

PS: in order to graduate, you need to start your own business by your third year.

Originally Posted by hotshots24

BS in entrepreneurship...about to start in a month... 3 year program (trimesters) entrepreneurs school of asia...opinions?

PS: in order to graduate, you need to start your own business by your third year.

sounds interdasting...
how lucrative / successful does your business have to be? this seems like a very fruitful endeavor.

my advice would be do this w/ another plan in mind... get a technical degree, another degree, something else that you can have extensive knowledge in.

take that knowledge, and combine it w/ the entrepreneurship knowledge and BONG... 

you know the ins and outs of the industry you're involved in AND you know the business side...

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

can someone explain what an "social media expert" is??  
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 im pretty sure half of NT is

Originally Posted by hotshots24

sounds interdasting...
how lucrative / successful does your business have to be? this seems like a very fruitful endeavor.

my advice would be do this w/ another plan in mind... get a technical degree, another degree, something else that you can have extensive knowledge in.

take that knowledge, and combine it w/ the entrepreneurship knowledge and BONG... 

you know the ins and outs of the industry you're involved in AND you know the business side...

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
ii'm planning on one day having my own driving range....
ohwell.gif
 not yet sure though...what do you guys think? land is a pain but i'm thinking I can get a 5-10 year lease. but for the graduation requirement, there is no minimum capital and no requirements of how successful 
happy.gif
 but i like what you said...hmm...what can I do...the school is so focused on entrepreneurship and so I would need to ask 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Swamp

can someone explain what an "social media expert" is??  
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 im pretty sure half of NT is

i'm not exactly sure 
laugh.gif
 but it would be along the lines of SEO companies being able to get a certain website to the top of google searches so that they can get more customers and blah blah blah...but what do i know lol I just write for these guys

Back
Top Bottom