Buying a macbook pro.

Brah, you have not answered this:

What is going to change between checking the product out during the first meeting and paying for the product during the second meeting that will ensure he's getting the product he wants?

To put it differently, the buyer checks out the product and everything is perfect. He then says, meet me in an hour so I can pay you.

What is going to change in that hour that makes the purchase more "legit"?

And yes, the lady is a fool for buying something that is still shrink wrapped. Especially a phone.
If the product is legit, nothing.

If the product is not legit, obviously the buyer won't pay for it.

The buyer's confidence is what changes "between checking the product out during the first meeting and paying for the product during the second meeting."

In that case, that would be a waste of both people's time.

As I already stated, the buyer should tell the seller that he wants to check out the product before he pays.

That's just common sense.

That's a misrepresentation of the precaution I'm talking about.

The spectrum of the precaution that I'm talking about ranges from keeping money in car to going to an atm or bank.

You're purposely making it into a long process to suit your argument, which it is not.

That's silly, new phones come in shrink wrap.

She wanted the brand new iphones, so why would she buy one that's been used?

Her getting ripped off had way more to do with the seller rather than she being a fool.

The SSD upgrade made my macbook wayyy faster. I would upgrade that before the ram. Apps don't even bounce on the dock anymore, they open up in one click. I'm using a mid 2011 MBP

Yea, you're definitely not making any sense.

And I sold a brand new iPhone 5 and removed the shrink wrap. The reason why? Because you have to first activate the phone for the line it was ordered for. If you don't do this, the person you sell it to will never be able to use it.

What if the seller knowing this 2-time-meet-up-with-no-money-in-the-initial-meetup buyer doesn't bring the same EXACT product in the 2nd meetup.  The buyer will be, ohh yeah thanks i've already checked this item out last time, theres no reason to recheck it. 

Then what was the point of the 1st meet up? YOU'RE GONNA CEHCK IT AGAIN ON THE 2ND ANYWAY

Last edited:
The SSD upgrade made my macbook wayyy faster. I would upgrade that before the ram. Apps don't even bounce on the dock anymore, they open up in one click. I'm using a mid 2011 MBP

I need to do this, my 2010 Pro isn't even all that slow but I'd like to future-proof it anyway. I tried looking on Apple to see what ram they recommended for my unit but I got nothing.

Also, how is the actual changing of ram sticks? Difficult? Easy?

And I sold a brand new iPhone 5 and removed the shrink wrap. The reason why? Because you have to first activate the phone for the line it was ordered for. If you don't do this, the person you sell it to will never be able to use it.
You do know people sell unlocked iphones right?

Thereby not having to do the process you just explained.

You're not making sense.

You misrepresent my precaution, then ask me to answer the same questions over and over.

Last edited:
I need to do this, my 2010 Pro isn't even all that slow but I'd like to future-proof it anyway. I tried looking on Apple to see what ram they recommended for my unit but I got nothing.

You have the mid 2010 mbp right?

If so, you'll need these screw drivers.

Amazon product ASIN B002JSM76G
Amazon product ASIN B003ES5M1M
They'll allow you to open up your macbook and replace your ram.

You can even use them to replace your hdd.

Go here do see which specific ram you'll need.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4433#2

I bought some ram, thinking it would work.

Instead my mac made scary noises.

I found the right ram and now my mac is good.

I bought crucial's ram on newegg because they have a lifetime warranty.

edit: the process it's really easy.

Just search how to install ram in *insert your mac model*

Last edited:

A simple google search should help you find what ram you need. I think it should be a max of 1066MHz or it'll crash. It's honestly one of the easiest computer upgrades.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+RAM/4319/1

Last edited:
:lol:

Dawg, like buddy pointed out, a second meetup to pay for the item invites even more of a chance of fraud. Seller brings legit item to first meetup, buyer dips to the ATM or car to retrieve cash, seller does the switcharoo and sells a MacBook Pro box full of books. But you already checked it out so it's all good, right? So you'd hand over cash for an item sight unseen? Because that's essentially what you'd be doing under your scenario.

The premise just doesn't make sense any way you slice it. Ask all your questions up front, including asking for extra pics. Personally, if a seller won't oblige my questions or pic requests, I'm looking elsewhere. That's common sense, IMO. At the meetup, confirm that what the seller listed and told you about is indeed legit, pay for item without letting that item out of your sight. Simple as hell man. :lol:

And yes, the lady who bought shrink wrapped iPhones without actually opening them up is a damn fool. Why on earth would you not confirm what you're buying from a STRANGER?!?!? And how can anyone defend that stupidity?

You do know people sell unlocked iphones right?
Thereby not having to do the process you just explained.

You're not making sense.
You misrepresent my precaution, then ask me to answer the same questions over and over.

I haven't misrepresented anything. You're just not making any sense.

The unlocked iPhones you see being sold aren't brand new. And if they are are, they've been opened, activated, and then unlocked.

who has time for two meetups? like for real. get a job and buy a new laptop from the apple store if you're so shook. everything I've sold on craigslist is priced right to move fast. if you're shook to pull the trigger I'll just assume you're a broke pump faker and sell it to the next person who wants it. nothing I've sold on CL has taken longer than 1 or 2 buyers to come see before it's sold.
I bought my mbp from best buy. The op was contemplating getting a mbp from CL, which I why I offered some advice.

I haven't used CL in years.

The unlocked iPhones you see being sold aren't brand new. And if they are are, they've been opened, activated, and then unlocked.
iphone 5s can be bought factory unlocked.

People sell brand new factory unlocked iphones.

Check ebay, amazon, and the like to confirm what I'm saying.
Free Image Hosting by imgbox.com

Last edited:
never appear desperate in craigslist

back to the point
SSD is a must. Hard drives bottleneck the true performance of other hardware in the system
if you need extra storage, get an external hard drive or put files into the cloud.
4gb of ram is the bare minimum, 8gb is recommended

if you want the basic 13in mbp, get the 2011 version since it is cheaper. Its pretty much the same as the new models in terms of speed except you lose usb 3.0. Not worth an extra few hundred dollars just to have usb 3.0 ports.

if you want the latest models, I recommend the 13in MBA with core i7 or 15in mbp retina. .

I will be using it for school. I am a business major but want to be able to edit photos from my dslr, as well as HD video without any hassle. Also, I want to be able to utilize it for music production as well as far as programs such as Reason and Serato.

I recently found this talkshow on AM radio. Dude talks about all the gadgets he has a great website and great advice. Check it out.

Starts @ 1:45:54

his website is techguylabs.com

Last edited:
buy it from Best buy with the geek squad protection. Right now theres a student discount where all you need is an dotedu email and you get $100 off the price. Also the protection thing helps you with damn near everything. If they can't fix it, they'll give you a new one.

When did I ever say they didn't sell factory unlocked iPhones?

The point I was making is that you're not going to get a factory unlocked iPhone on Craigslist or eBay for any cheaper than you would buying from apple directly. There is no room for profit.

The unlocked iPhones you see sold on CL as brand new for below the retail price, have been bought as an upgrade, opened, activated, and unlocked.

Again, the lady was an idiot for buying a shrink wrapped iPhone.

Last edited:
Hm, so what should I focus on here when buying a macbook pro? The processor? Should I just find one with an i7, with 4gb of ram and a whatever hd, and just upgrade it myself to 16gb and a ssd?

I'm still looking into used, as I have a little more than 1k to play with. What are my options in terms of buying used/refurbished? As well, the oldest model back I should limit myself to would be a 2011 2.7 i7?

Last edited:

The point I was making is that you're not going to get a factory unlocked iPhone on Craigslist or eBay for any cheaper than you would buying from apple directly. There is no room for profit.

The unlocked iPhones you see sold on CL as brand new for below the retail price, have been bought as an upgrade, opened, activated, and unlocked.

Again, the lady was an idiot for buying a shrink wrapped iPhone.
When did I ever say they didn't sell factory unlocked iPhones?
"The unlocked iPhones you see being sold aren't brand new. And if they are are, they've been opened, activated, and then unlocked."

You're just repeating like in your other sentences.

Let's stop this silly discussion because it's going nowhere.

Hm, so what should I focus on here when buying a macbook pro? The processor? Should I just find one with an i7, with 4gb of ram and a whatever hd, and just upgrade it myself to 16gb and a ssd?

I'm still looking into used, as I have a little more than 1k to play with. What are my options in terms of buying used/refurbished? As well, the oldest model back I should limit myself to would be a 2011 2.7 i7?
An important question you need to yourself is, "how long do I intend to keep this comp?"

If it's at least 3 years, buy new+applecare.

What are you primilarily using it for? SChool work right?

If so, you won't need 16gb or an ssd.

You could do 8gb of ram, then get an sdd/hdd hybrid.

If you need more ram you can just send the ram back, get a refund then, get more ram.

Amazon allows you to do this, if you buy straight from them.

Here are your options for used macs:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

I would suggest that if you decide to go used that you go with apple, since they test the macs and give a 1 year warranty.

I would say 2011, because an apple employee told me that they're phasing out their 2010 parts because it's applecare repairs for those comps aren't being supported anymore . Due to it being over 3 years since that lineup released.

Back
Top Bottom