Buying a macbook pro.

How many of you have applecare vs squaretrade vs no warranty at all? How do you like your warranty or lack thereof?
Get a warranty.
You're paying $1,000+, so you should protect your purchase.
Here an article that goes over applecare vs. squaretrade.
http://dealnews.com/features/War-of-the-Warranties-Apple-Care-vs.-Square-Trade/541964.html

Applecare is more convenient since it's a warranty from the people who made your comp.
I bought my fifteen inch on ebsy for $1500 no warranty and it's Gucci

I bought one last year around the time they released the newer model. I actually opted for the older version because it has a cd drive. The newer ones with retina didn't and I have a boatload of cds and dvds I still play from time to time.

No warranty, but I'm extra careful. I've found that in the past I'd get the extra coverage only to not use it. Waste of $$.

Last edited:
The 2 people above me are people who are hedging their bets.

I'm pretty careful with my comp and I still ended up having to use the warranty I bought.
Which like I said, saved me $500.

If you're fine with shelling out for repairs, don't get a warranty.

If you want peace of mind, get a warranty.

If you mac messes up, you can just walk into an apple store and get it fixed.

You can even send it to them, which doesn't take that long.

But without the warranty, you'll have an unpleasant experience.

Previous PC owners know this feel.

Last edited:
2 meetups for a CL sale?

Naw man......naw.  As a seller, if a buyer told me he wanted to meet up again at a later point in time to pay for an item, I'd honestly just walk away and find a new buyer.  Has nothing to do with legitness, either.  Don't waste my time and I won't waste yours.    

Ask all the questions you want and request pictures via email/text BEFORE the meetup.  Check out the product and make sure everything checks out at the meetup.  Pay for product if you're satisfied.  Simple as that.  

And personally, I always carry the cash on me that I'm planning to spend at a CL meetup.  If you meet in a busy, public place there's no need to keep it stashed in the glovebox.  Ol' scary type dudes.  :lol:

What if the seller knowing this 2-time-meet-up-with-no-money-in-the-initial-meetup buyer doesn't bring the same EXACT product in the 2nd meetup.  The buyer will be, ohh yeah thanks i've already checked this item out last time, theres no reason to recheck it. 

Then what was the point of the 1st meet up? YOU'RE GONNA CEHCK IT AGAIN ON THE 2ND ANYWAY
All of this. Two meet ups? Ain't nobody got time for that. Meet up public place inspect and go.
Same goes from a seller stand point. You're wasting my time with bs like that. :lol: 2 meet ups

2 meetups for a CL sale?

Naw man......naw.  As a seller, if a buyer told me he wanted to meet up again at a later point in time to pay for an item, I'd honestly just walk away and find a new buyer.  Has nothing to do with legitness, either.  Don't waste my time and I won't waste yours.    

Ask all the questions you want and request pictures via email/text BEFORE the meetup.  Check out the product and make sure everything checks out at the meetup.  Pay for product if you're satisfied.  Simple as that.  

And personally, I always carry the cash on me that I'm planning to spend at a CL meetup.  If you meet in a busy, public place there's no need to keep it stashed in the glovebox.  Ol' scary type dudes.  
laugh.gif
What if the seller knowing this 2-time-meet-up-with-no-money-in-the-initial-meetup buyer doesn't bring the same EXACT product in the 2nd meetup.  The buyer will be, ohh yeah thanks i've already checked this item out last time, theres no reason to recheck it. 

Then what was the point of the 1st meet up? YOU'RE GONNA CEHCK IT AGAIN ON THE 2ND ANYWAY
All of this. Two meet ups? Ain't nobody got time for that. Meet up public place inspect and go.
Same goes from a seller stand point. You're wasting my time with bs like that.
laugh.gif
2 meet ups
We've already discussed this for long enough.

You can just leave the money in the car, instead of 2 meet ups.

Meets ups was the wrong choice of words on my part.

Last edited:
but a macbook is actual quality and will last long...

in the almost 5 years in Oct ive had my macbook i probably would have went through 3-4 PC laptops...

SRS

this thing has been through a lot and till runs like new. explain that to me and A LOT of usuage
umm my PC is more then a decade old (dell) and other than replacing da HDD recently and upgrading to windows 7

its running smooth.

but a macbook is actual quality and will last long...

in the almost 5 years in Oct ive had my macbook i probably would have went through 3-4 PC laptops...

SRS

this thing has been through a lot and till runs like new. explain that to me and A LOT of usuage
umm my PC is more then a decade old (dell) and other than replacing da HDD recently and upgrading to windows 7

its running smooth.
not as smooth as a mac.

batteries aren't covered with applecare.
Yes they are, I work for apple.

But you guys want your battery replace cause you think its bad when its not.

You got programs running, bluetooth, wifi, and screen brightness on high and  you wonder why your battery is draining

When Apple says your battery will last 18 hours etc, they mean as if your mac is not running all the above, the more things you run the more it drains

and we can tell how many times u charged your battery and if the battery is still good

And last, the more you use and charge your battery the less is general usage time. Just how any batteries work, dont mean its bad.

When you first get your mac it may get 18 hours a day but 1 year later it may get 10 hours a day, that is just how batteries work and it dont mean its bad.

Last edited:
For a laptop, I wouldn't choose anything else but an Apple. When it comes to a desktop though, give me a PC every time.

Last edited:
I bought a Macbook Pro last year and I'm happy with the purchase. I prefer the interface a lot. 

Make sure you get applecare though. I've had to take it in twice. Both times were really simple and easy. Set up an appointment online, drop it off, and pick it up when they're done. 

I'm really rough with it and it's been sturdy for me. Throw it around a lot, although one time the ram or something moved out of place(one of the times I had to go to applecare) because of me throwing it and they took it to the back and fixed it in like 5 minutes. Other than that though, I'm surprised that it's taken the beating I've given it without any hiccups.

Plus I can easily install windows on this and choose what OS I want to run at startup. I'm not sure if it's that's easy on a windows PC to install mac.

Last edited:
Here's a laptop I'm currently looking at. Will check it out in person tomorrow. Any tips? It already has extended applecare up until 2015. No box or original discs, but he sent me a copy of the receipt from apple which matches the serial number.
If it's in a suitable condition for you, go for it.

You need to purchase that specific mac's restore discs though.

You'll most likely need to restore your mac at some point in time.

If you don't have the restore discs, your mac will become useless.

Search ebay for the specific mac's restore discs.

In fact, I would suggest that the first thing you do is to restore the mac.

The restore discs allow you to restore the mac to it's factory settings and the restore apps disc restores the original apps that came with the comp.

Make sure you tell the seller to remove the password on the comp.

Last edited:

The restore discs allow you to restore the mac to it's factory settings and the restore apps disc restores the original apps that came with the comp.

Hm, he said that he restored everything back to factory, to clear off any of his personal data. Something about on start up and holding the command key. He said he learned it online. Are passwords only for the login screen?

Hm, he said that he restored everything back to factory, to clear off any of his personal data. Something about on start up and holding the command key. He said he learned it online. Are passwords only for the login screen?
If the comp has a password, you won't be able to login, download software, etc.

Yeah, he's right. I'm still using snow lepeord.

Here's some info about what he's talking about.

I didn't even know that you could do this.

http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/

Last edited:
If the comp has a password, you won't be able to login, download software, etc.
Yeah, he's right. I'm still using snow lepeord.
Here's some info about what he's talking about.
I didn't even know that you could do this.
http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/

Oh, so then I won't need the discs then. I read something about running the hardware test with the discs. Is that accessible from the command R boot up sequence?

Edit - Just found I need to hold the D key from boot up and it should bring me to it.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Thanks for all the help iYen.

Last edited:
OP, you can come up on craigslist for some pretty good deals b. I got a 2011 15" MacBook Pro with 8gb of ram, i7,500gb hd and intel 3000 graphic card. Might be 300 lol. Either way, the machine might be 2 years old, but it still has the great hardware to compete with newer model laptops. I paid 650 for the laptop and I dropped and extra 100 on a replacement battery. Not too shabby. I'm still waiting for something to go wrong with the laptop cus it was too good of a deal.

OP, you can come up on craigslist for some pretty good deals b. I got a 2011 15" MacBook Pro with 8gb of ram, i7,500gb hd and intel 3000 graphic card. Might be 300 lol. Either way, the machine might be 2 years old, but it still has the great hardware to compete with newer model laptops. I paid 650 for the laptop and I dropped and extra 100 on a replacement battery. Not too shabby. I'm still waiting for something to go wrong with the laptop cus it was too good of a deal.

Prolly had bills...

Prolly had bills...
Maybe. Dude told me he got a MacBook Air. The laptop looks like it was dropped and the previous owner opened it probably trying to fix the popped out trackpad. The battery was swollen so when I replaced it, I fixed the trackpad too. Idk if these guys didnt know what to do and sold it when they opened it since it voids the AppleCare warranty( still has warranty until 2015) or what, but the laptop is serving me well so I don't care.

i really want an 11 inch Air so damb tempting but my current MB is running decent, not bad enough to where it warrants a new purchase. 

Last edited:
What the refurbs go for and what's student discount

Google apple refurbished macs.
Refurbs usually go for $100-$200 less than their original price.

The student discount lets you cop a mac for $100-$200 less I think. Or you get a $100 app store gift card. This info may have changed. You need to have a .edu email address I believe.

Back
Top Bottom