Buying a Used "Luxury" Car that has close to or over 100k miles on it, yay or nay?

Originally Posted by Anthony Stark

Buying luxury cars out of warranty is unintelligent.
This.. Trust me i have had my fair share of issues.. 
frown.gif

I was in between on this subject but If I was going to buy a high mileage luxury whip it would be a Lexus or Acura. Simply put, they are some of the more reliable brands as everybody has stated.

Now the term "luxury" all depends on what you want out of it. The things that are luxury at some point end up in every make and model eventually but if your appeal is to a brand or even a body style of a car I understand that. I was in a similar situation but recently decided to say forget car payments until I can put a hefty downpayment on something I really want and I grabbed a clean Acura Legend GS w/ 88k on the clock for a little over 3k. Yea, it's old but it's extremely reliable and you dont see too many of them on the road that in great condition. Heated seats and climate control out of a '94 isn't bad.

Long winded but basically don't get yourself into a high mileage luxury whip just to say you have one.

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Originally Posted by Cekpethobce

older V8 Lexus's are pretty much bulletproof from what i've heard
if you can get one for cheap in good condition than why not
also i dont see why so much hate on used luxury cars on NT. not everyone wants a luxury car just to show off that he has an expansive car. some people just want to go from point a to point b comfortably. For me personally its all about the interior. i dont care if the car looks like crap as long as the interior is nice and comfy
Yea , I want an Adult looking car, most non luxury cars just simply look ugly to me, I mean a car is an investment, so I`d at least want something I like the look off too, and rides smooth and has nice guts.
First off a car isn't an investment.  100k isn't bad on a BMW, I can't really speak on the other cars.  Also, just because they are expensive doesn't make it a grown man car, a grown man car is one that you can comfortably afford.  My parent's business is right next to a foreign car shop and you won't believe how many people pull up in luxury cars that can't afford to have it maintained properly.  I was considering buying a 2001 330i last summer and my dad's mechanic said it would cost me around $2k to get it up to par right off the back (with only minor problems), so then I decided to go american and got an 03 mustang.  It's been a year so far and I've had no problems with it.

Its not worth it, unless you're talking Acura, Lexus, or Inifiniti.

...Rule of thumb should always be, if you cannot afford within the warranty period, you have no business with it.

Just get an altima, camry, or a newer impala or even a charger. There not bad cars and they look fine.

I made that mistake twice, trying to be cool right out of highschool. I bought a 93 ac legend, this was in 01. It had 125k on it. I got it for 6k the engine blew up on me like 8 months later.

Then in 03 I got a 96 chevy impala ss for 8k I was gassed off the name and the look it had 94k on it. It was so expensive to maintain. I had it for a two and a half yrs, but it became to expensive to maintain. I traded it in for and 04 altima I been good ever since.

I wont lie I miss my impala though.

laugh.gif
why would anyone want to buy a luxury car as their first car idc what the mileage is..unless you balling like that go for it

OP with that price range i'd cop a civic the newer ones have the best bodies IMO...all you need is a oil change and regular maintenance and your set til you're ready to cop your dream car

Originally Posted by RFX45

When it comes to luxury cars with high mileage, Lexus is a pretty reliable brand to go for.
I have seen several Lexus' with 100k+ miles that are still running well.

I still want a Lexus SC (300 or 400) to play with. Some can be had for around $5k.

Nice, I saw this old couple in a nice Jag today, and Jags are cheeeeeeap, but I they DEFINE lemon.  

Being that Lexus = Toyota, the cost of maintence is still that of being high like all other Luxury cars? 

I could never really get into Acuras, the Acura Legends back in the day were nice though
Maintenance on a lexus cost more than a camry, but its way cheaper compared to bmw,benz, or audi.  Your regular servicing will cost around $500 if you take it to the dealership.  When it comes to the 90k or 120k service(forgot which one was the timing belt change) that one will be around 1.5k to 2k.  It all depends on the dealership.  If you have an honest mechanic around your way, you can even buy  your own parts and save about half the cost on the servicing.  The prices are based off my girl's GS.

Doing Research on cars, I only drive from point A to point B, which is usually work and home, I always ride with someone if I`m going out. I`m looking to eventually get a "grown man car" sometime in the future, when I get some chips to blow lol.  Idk why I've been under the impression that a Luxury car with 100-150k+ miles on it = no good. 

I`m 6'3 so I can't do coupes, just Sedans, Im not big on cars, but can someone give me a nice list of cars to look at? My price range is 10-12k, I could do 16-18k but I`m not trying to do it big just yet lol.

I hate your selfish kind.

don't waste your money man, a used luxury car will drain you from maintenance and whatever. stay within your reach, you worked hard for your money... go buy like a new civic or used accord or something like that... i always wondered why people try to be something they're not, i have friends that don't have money or anything and waste whatever they have on designer goods and expensive things.. its their hard earned money so they have the right to do whatever they want with it but i think its a waste, people like that are better off saving it for the future for things that will actually matter in life..

Originally Posted by lj12

don't waste your money man, a used luxury car will drain you from maintenance and whatever. stay within your reach, you worked hard for your money... go buy like a new civic or used accord or something like that... i always wondered why people try to be something they're not, i have friends that don't have money or anything and waste whatever they have on designer goods and expensive things.. its their hard earned money so they have the right to do whatever they want with it but i think its a waste, people like that are better off saving it for the future for things that will actually matter in life..

It's not about that... Issue is deeper than that...

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

Dont know a whole heck of a lot about cars but from what i've read, Audi reliability is piss poor. Jaguar is the worst.  BMW's are fairly decent (not the 7-series tho) and Benzes have a lot of electrical problems.  
As far as american luxury brands, Cadillac sucks, Lincoln's are fairly good (except for the LS).  

Your best bet really is Lexus or a Infiniti. Even though they are based off Toyota and Nissan they are still pretty damn good cars and you still get the luxury ride & features.

Hope that helped
laugh.gif

im glad u voided your opinion before you uttered anything.

You thought Japanese cars still had v4 engines up to about a month ago.

Originally Posted by TheHype

I feel you Lucky
laugh.gif

I'm tryna get something reliable but I don't want a bucket.

Seems like you can't have both nowadays
laugh.gif

While I'm here, how's the S series Volvo's from the early 00s?

The 2000-2003 S80s are
smokin.gif
ohwell.gif
, i like the s60s better, they're more compact....

i totaled my 02 s60 2.4t.....sigh

I agree with you on not buying it new but there is a difference between buying a luxury car with 20k miles and a luxury car with 100k. Most cars do not preform well with that many miles on it. WIth your height I would get a charger or 300

Originally Posted by devv

Just get an altima, camry, or a newer impala or even a charger. There not bad cars and they look fine.

I made that mistake twice, trying to be cool right out of highschool. I bought a 93 ac legend, this was in 01. It had 125k on it. I got it for 6k the engine blew up on me like 8 months later.

Then in 03 I got a 96 chevy impala ss for 8k I was gassed off the name and the look it had 94k on it. It was so expensive to maintain. I had it for a two and a half yrs, but it became to expensive to maintain. I traded it in for and 04 altima I been good ever since.

I wont lie I miss my impala though.
I was thinking Charger back in the day but Chargers are the OFFICIAL wanna be D boy whips, especially the v6 junts. And this is not my first whip for those who are wondering.

I can't really speak for a lot of cars, but I know my mom's 97 Lexus LS400 has never had any major problems. Car still looks new and it has around 158K on it. I believe she bought it in 99. Other than minor issues that should come up after over 10+ years, its a great running car and still very quiet.

The answer to your question is "No".

Luxury Cars are huge money pits.  Serving them is going to cost you lots, as well as carrying the insurance on one.
For example,
A standard oil change reliable auto =$20 vs. luxury auto = $100 +
Brakes and Rotors reliable auto= $250 vs. luxury auto= $1200+

It's your money to enjoy, but buying a solid reliable daily driver should be done first.
Once you have that paid off, then buy a luxury car as a second car.

Back
Top Bottom