Calif. Supreme Court to take up GAY MARRIAGE BAN...... possibly overturn the vote???

This is absurd if you ask me... the PEOPLE spoke. Why should the California Supreme Court potentially overturn what the PEOPLE voted for.
I don't care if you are FOR or AGAINST the gay marriage band...
This goes past that... so what now the vote of the people may not matter??

IT'S ON: California Supreme Court to take up gaymarriage ban...

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - California's highest court agreed Wednesday to hear several legalchallenges to the state's new ban on same-sex marriage but refused to allow gay couples to resume marrying before it rules.
The California SupremeCourt accepted three lawsuits seeking to nullify Proposition 8, a voter-approved constitutional amendment that overruled the court's decision in Maythat legalized gay marriage.

All three cases claim the measure abridges the civil rights of a vulnerable minority group.They argue that voters alone did not have the authority to enact such a significant constitutional change.

As is its custom when it takes up cases, the court elaborated little. However, the justicesdid say they want to address what effect, if any, a ruling upholding the amendment would have on the estimated 18,000 same-sex marriages thatwere sanctioned in California before Election Day.

Gay rights groups and local governments petitioning to overturn the ban were joined by themeasure's sponsors and Attorney General Jerry Brown in urging the Supreme Court to considerwhether Proposition 8 passes legal muster.

The initiative's opponents had also asked the court to grant a stay of the measure, whichwould have allowed gay marriages to begin again while the justices considered the cases. The court denied that request.

The justices directed Brown and lawyers for the Yes on 8 campaign to submitarguments by Dec. 19 on why the ballot initiative should not be nullified. (?????, maybe because the VOTE PASSED?????) It saidlawyers for the plaintiffs, who include same-sex couples who did not wed before the election, must respond before Jan. 5.

Oral arguments could be scheduled as early as March, according to court spokeswoman LynnHolton.

"This is welcome news. The matter of Proposition 8 should be resolved thoughtfully andwithout delay," Brown said in a statement.

Both opponents and supporters of Proposition 8 expressed confidence Wednesday that theirarguments would prevail. But they also agreed that the cases present the court's seven justices-six of whom voted to review the challenges-with complexquestions that have few precedents in state case law.

Although more than two dozen states have similar amendments, some of which have survivedsimilar lawsuits, none were approved by voters in a place where gay marriage already was legal.

Neither were any approved in a state where the high court had put sexual orientation in thesame protected legal class as race and religion, which the California Supreme Court did when it rendered its 4-3 decision that made same-sex marriage legal inMay.

Opponents of the ban argue that voters improperly abrogated the judiciary's authority bystripping same-sex couples of the right to wed after the high court earlier ruled it was discriminatory to prohibit gay men and lesbians frommarrying.

"If given effect, Proposition 8 would work a dramatic, substantive change to ourConstitution's 'underlying principles' of individual equality on a scale and scope never previously condoned by this court," lawyers for thesame-sex couples stated in their petition.

The measure represents such a sweeping change that it constitutes a constitutional revision asopposed to an amendment, the documents say. The distinction would have required the ban's backers to obtain approval from two-thirds of both houses of theCalifornia Legislature before submitting it to voters.

Over the past century, the California Supreme Court has heard nine cases challenginglegislative acts or ballot initiatives as improper revisions. The court eventually invalidated three of the measures, according to the gay rights group LambdaLegal.

Andrew Pugno, legal counsel for the Yes on 8 campaign, said he doubts the court will buy therevision argument in the case of the gay marriage ban because the plaintiffs would have to prove the measure alters the state's basic governmentalframework.

Joel Franklin, a constitutional law professor at Monterey College of Law, said that eventhough the court rejected similar procedural arguments when it upheld amendments reinstating the death penalty and limitingproperty taxes, those casesdo not represent as much of a fundamental change as Proposition 8.

"Those amendments applied universally to all Californians," Franklin said."This is a situation where you are removing rights from a particular group of citizens, a class of individuals the court has said is entitled toconstitutional protection. That is a structural change."

The trio of cases the court accepted were filed by six same-sex couples who have not yet wed,a Los Angeles lesbian couple who were among the first to tie the knot on June 16 and 11 cities and counties, led by the city of San Francisco.

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

This is absurd if you ask me... the PEOPLE spoke. Why should the California Supreme Court potentially overturn what the PEOPLE voted for.
Because the majority of people aren't educated about the state constitution, especially regarding equal rights and what is deemedconstitutional.

its not that the will of the people doesnt matter.
the problem with this is that it is nothing more than a form of discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.
that is the issue with prop 8 passing

@%!! why would any one want to get married any way? If you love the one your with then just do so. Signing paperwork and having some big/medium/small ceremonyis just a waste. Spend it on something else.

kicks67 wrote:
@%!! why would any one want to get married any way? If you love the one your with then just do so. Signing paperwork and having some big/medium/small ceremony is just a waste. Spend it on something else.

you obviously are not aware of some of the benefits that come with being married...

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

kicks67 wrote:
@%!! why would any one want to get married any way? If you love the one your with then just do so. Signing paperwork and having some big/medium/small ceremony is just a waste. Spend it on something else.

you obviously are not aware of some of the benefits that come with being married...

less sex? contracting onegina? tell me!

Because regardless of what YOU believe its a civil rights issue not a religious issue. so please **** with your ignorance

Originally Posted by kicks67

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

kicks67 wrote:

less sex? contracting onegina? tell me!

you cant be serious..

Originally Posted by javier5857

Because regardless of what YOU believe its a civil rights issue not a religious issue. so please **** with your ignorance
?

Thats what YOU believe fam.

According to the vote, YOU are in the minority

For others, it IS a religious issue and they have the RIGHT to vote however THEY WANT.

%$% I DONT WANT DEM TEACHING MY KIDS ABOUT GAY MARRIAGE,PEOPLE,ANIMALS, HELL NO..

i had a gay teacher before.. and everytime they pat ur back or put there hands on ur shoulders u gota think twice for realz.. i didnt do %@** in my chem classand he gives me a B+/ just something wrong with that.,..

yes on prop 8.. thats wht the MAJORITY of what people want..

kicks67 wrote:

Being married has other advantages too, you sound ignorant.

It's absurd really? GTHOH

Imagine if they public had voted to give black rights in 1964 instead of congress or the voting act of 1965.

Get a clue, your intolerance is sickening.

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

Because the majority of people aren't educated about the state constitution, especially regarding equal rights and what is deemed constitutional.
QFT we had a bunch of people lead by false commercials and crap this should be overturned!!'

pimp.gif

i mean i believe gay people can raise better kids than those who live in those foster homes or wen there mothers are crackheads, but still.. they shouldnt getmarried, but allowd to raise kids fine with me, just not in California, and if there such thing as gay marriage passing they should atleast put these kind inBoston.. i mean, im just saying..

dont wanna affend no one

Pisses me off. I voted NO on Prop 8 but I'll be damn if 7 Judges out rule the voice of the people yet AGAIN!

Originally Posted by LAzianBoi

i mean i believe gay people can raise better kids than those who live in those foster homes or wen there mothers are crackheads, but still.. they shouldnt get married, but allowd to raise kids fine with me, just not in California, and if there such thing as gay marriage passing they should atleast put these kind in Boston.. i mean, im just saying..

dont wanna affend no one
your ignorance is amazing...judging by your last two post
tired.gif

Originally Posted by MyTsharp

If it is overturned it would set a really bad precedent

My-T.
Yes just like overturning slavery did huh! We all know that America went to hell when women became eligible to vote!!
indifferent.gif

Stop your ignorance is hurting this board!!

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

Pisses me off. I voted NO on Prop 8 but I'll be damn if 7 Judges out rule the voice of the people yet AGAIN!
if not for the way the system is set up and those justices we would be in a terrible place in this country!
Read a book!
tired.gif

I'm not from/in Cali, but I hope the law stays in. I think the only thing worse than gay marriage is gays getting artificially impregnated.

Back
Top Bottom