California signs 1st in nation law for College athletes to make money VOL. NCAA endgame

I wouldn’t be surprised if the NCAA becomes obsolete for top tier college basketball players within a decade if it doesn’t make adjustments.

Nah. Being the BMOC at Duke/UNC/UK >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> going overseas at 17/18.

The college athletic experience (especially at a big time program) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> .

LaMelo would be at a blue blood program right now if he wasn't ruled ineligible.

So let me get this straight. This allows college athletes to receive endorsements, right? This really only benefits basketball players. The O line is pretty much in the same place they started.

Lol. Gavin Newsom gearing up for a Presidential run.

This the work of CA Senator Nancy Skinner from Berkeley.

She's ****ing killing it the last two years.

Wrote or sponsored a ridiculous amount of impactful legislation e.g. SB1421 that police records and right to know act.

NCAA is going to fight this to the bitter end. If this goes through on the federal level they are finished.

I'm all for compensation but this is going to take a long time to figure out. What will the role of Athletic Departments be? How will scholarships work? Can a team environment work when I know one of my teammates is making $50k an autograph signing while I'm not making anything? One of the things that brings kids together in college is generally you are all the same. You all eat the same meals, you all struggle check by check and that is one of the ways a bond is formed.

I'm all for blowing up the NCAA and its mostly archaic ways of doing things but if this gets through and is recognized college athletics as we know it may come to an end.

So let me get this straight. This allows college athletes to receive endorsements, right? This really only benefits basketball players. The O line is pretty much in the same place they started.

If some of those lesser profile o line guys on the team, who likely aren’t going pro anyways, can do some autograph signings at the local car dealership or memorabilia shops in their area to make a little extra, it’ll be a win for them. Same if they endorse some local spots in the city and get broken off on that.

Especially in those smaller college towns where anyone on the football or basketball team is seen as the man on campus.

Can a team environment work when I know one of my teammates is making $50k an autograph signing while I'm not making anything?

u gon have weed carriers on da bench playin their position to be part of da entourage...

NCAA is going to fight this to the bitter end. If this goes through on the federal level they are finished.

I'm all for compensation but this is going to take a long time to figure out. What will the role of Athletic Departments be? How will scholarships work? Can a team environment work when I know one of my teammates is making $50k an autograph signing while I'm not making anything? One of the things that brings kids together in college is generally you are all the same. You all eat the same meals, you all struggle check by check and that is one of the ways a bond is formed.

I'm all for blowing up the NCAA and its mostly archaic ways of doing things but if this gets through and is recognized college athletics as we know it may come to an end.
I mean its not like there's no pecking order already on most teams...The stars always get more leeway with whatever, just something the role and bench players gotta accept

Not our problem. It's on these institutions to adapt to the new system that should have been in place 20 years ago. Maybe they can pay a consulting firm to come in and give them new revenue ideas? They have billions so they can afford it.

one thing i ain't think about... whats to stop companies to sponsor individuals instead of entire programs?

if any of em get some swag on social media they scratch out a living

Last edited:
NCAA still has final say. Players can legally be paid according to Cali law in 2023 but if ncaa says you’re ineligible, then that’s that. So either they need to find common ground /compromise or there needs to be a mass exodus from the ncaa. I’ve heard the theory floated out there for years - the majority of schools NEED the ncaa - the top schools and their divisions don’t. Why does the SEC need the ncaa? If the entire conference says we are out, and we’ll form our own college athletic league, without the archaic ncaa rules, they can not only survive but thrive. So the NCAA needs to play ball. We got a few years to figure it out but a change gone come.

Back
Top Bottom