California signs law to Tax the internet.

I hate when people say the Customers aren't affected
30t6p3b.gif

So you think these big companies gone take a L? They gone find a way to pass that L to the customers
laugh.gif

Then when the the customers start to *%$*+ they gone be like we was forced to do this to cover there %#+
laugh.gif

I hate when people say the Customers aren't affected
30t6p3b.gif

So you think these big companies gone take a L? They gone find a way to pass that L to the customers
laugh.gif

Then when the the customers start to *%$*+ they gone be like we was forced to do this to cover there %#+
laugh.gif

SunDoobie -

From page 1 of this post:

"The new law won't affect customers, Amazon said, but added that the immediate termination of the affiliate program also applies to endless.com, myhabit.com and smallparts.com.".

How many of you buy from the affiliates versus buying from Amazon? It affects the 10,000 affiliates throughout California.

The tax requirement has to do with online sellers based out of state the have some connection to California. So what did Amazon do (out of state retailer with connection to CA via affiliate agreements)? They dropped the program. By doing that, they've effectively ended the CA connection and are on record saying they won't collect tax.

To my knowledge they don't have any warehouses or distribution centers here either. Kindle research may pose a problem since they have an office.

So to recap...only Internet retailers who have a CA presence are subject to collecting tax.

You want to order something directly from Amazon and live in CA, nothing has changed because of the way Amazon reacted.
You want to buy something from a NYC store w no store in CA, business as usual.

SunDoobie -

From page 1 of this post:

"The new law won't affect customers, Amazon said, but added that the immediate termination of the affiliate program also applies to endless.com, myhabit.com and smallparts.com.".

How many of you buy from the affiliates versus buying from Amazon? It affects the 10,000 affiliates throughout California.

The tax requirement has to do with online sellers based out of state the have some connection to California. So what did Amazon do (out of state retailer with connection to CA via affiliate agreements)? They dropped the program. By doing that, they've effectively ended the CA connection and are on record saying they won't collect tax.

To my knowledge they don't have any warehouses or distribution centers here either. Kindle research may pose a problem since they have an office.

So to recap...only Internet retailers who have a CA presence are subject to collecting tax.

You want to order something directly from Amazon and live in CA, nothing has changed because of the way Amazon reacted.
You want to buy something from a NYC store w no store in CA, business as usual.

Amazon is cutting ties to all associated companies in California.  Therefore, there will be no tax for CA residents, unless you are stupid enough to claim them on your 1040.  

All this did was cost California some jobs and about $153 million in taxes off those employers.  Not to mention these worker will all now end up in the unemployment lines looking for a check from Uncle Brown.

CA takes a loss today!

Amazon is cutting ties to all associated companies in California.  Therefore, there will be no tax for CA residents, unless you are stupid enough to claim them on your 1040.  

All this did was cost California some jobs and about $153 million in taxes off those employers.  Not to mention these worker will all now end up in the unemployment lines looking for a check from Uncle Brown.

CA takes a loss today!

It didn't cost CA in a real sense. In horse**** gov't accounting it may have because they were counting on revenue they never had a stake to until this legislature passed. It's not like Amazon ever paid tax to CA prior to this.

It didn't cost CA in a real sense. In horse**** gov't accounting it may have because they were counting on revenue they never had a stake to until this legislature passed. It's not like Amazon ever paid tax to CA prior to this.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Originally Posted by red mpls

Misleading title.

Anything for the sake of supporting your ideology, right?

Huh? So what's my ideology?My point was, between this post and articles I've read on SFgate, they make it seem like all of a sudden EVERYONE in CA is affected by this whereas it really only affects a very small percentage. Further, there's open offers from Walmart, Sears and others to happily take the place of Amazon and set up their own affiliate program.

My comment was directed at Rashi.  I agreed with your statement.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Originally Posted by rashi

Keep drinking your government Fluoride and Arsenic ridden water out of BPA estrogenic lined water bottles.
wink.gif

It's hypocritical (and somewhat amusing) that you use so many of the same tactics that you criticize the government for in trying to "enlighten" people.  It's clear that you use hyperbole and misinformation in order to instill fear and confusion in people for the furtherance of your own agenda.

Originally Posted by red mpls

Misleading title.

Huh? So what's my ideology?My point was, between this post and articles I've read on SFgate, they make it seem like all of a sudden EVERYONE in CA is affected by this whereas it really only affects a very small percentage. Further, there's open offers from Walmart, Sears and others to happily take the place of Amazon and set up their own affiliate program.

My comment was directed at Rashi.  I agreed with your statement.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Originally Posted by rashi

Keep drinking your government Fluoride and Arsenic ridden water out of BPA estrogenic lined water bottles.
wink.gif

It's hypocritical (and somewhat amusing) that you use so many of the same tactics that you criticize the government for in trying to "enlighten" people.  It's clear that you use hyperbole and misinformation in order to instill fear and confusion in people for the furtherance of your own agenda.

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

eh, i believe there should be SOME tax collected by internet sales. Many states are losing millions because of the little loophole about sales tax.
How so?  Most states don't have any kind of sales tax.  The interstate commerce clause in the constitution makes this law unconstitutional and Amazon has already appealed it after NY tried to do the same thing.  Rather than trying to see what works in other states like VA & TX, California, New York and Illinois try to tax their citizens more and keep going deeper into debt.  At some point they will find out it's not working and those three states will start to look like Greece.

eh, i believe there should be SOME tax collected by internet sales. Many states are losing millions because of the little loophole about sales tax.
How so?  Most states don't have any kind of sales tax.  The interstate commerce clause in the constitution makes this law unconstitutional and Amazon has already appealed it after NY tried to do the same thing.  Rather than trying to see what works in other states like VA & TX, California, New York and Illinois try to tax their citizens more and keep going deeper into debt.  At some point they will find out it's not working and those three states will start to look like Greece.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

What the hell are you talking about "most states don't have any kind of sales tax"?  That is absolutely false.

Back
Top Bottom