Calling All College kids.. Got Credit?

Niketalk, I'm expecting a fat refund check from rutgers and up until a few days ago, everything was fine. Now it says I owe them money. So I called mystudent counselor as well as the financial aid office and what they told me was since I put down my dad was collecting unemployment they have to review all themoney and paperwork I submitted and it could take up to 3 more weeks. Thing is I go to school on Monday and start class on Tuesday. I lived at home this summerbut had to pay rent for my house down at school, so all the money I made went to 4 months of rent at a house I wasn't even living at. Im broke as a jokeand was counting on that refund check for everything. So pretty much I have no choice other than to get a credit card. I've heard all the stories aboutpeople !!%%%#$ up their whole lives with regards to credit while in college and I plan on paying off the whole thing with my check when I finally get it andnever use it again. My question is, what student credit card has the best offer? I never owned a credit card before and both my parents have horrible creditand are more broke than I am
tired.gif
so I'm coming to you guys.

Thanks,
-Mike

My question is, what student credit card has the best offer? I never owned a credit card before and both my parents have horrible credit and are more broke than I am
tired.gif
so I'm coming to you guys.
Best offer? You're a student...most places won't even approve you because you have no credit history. And the limit is going to be LOWwith your first card. I opened my first credit card during my freshman year in college and the limit was only $300 and the interest rate was high as hell. Ionly used it to buy shoes and such, and paid it off monthly.

Originally Posted by YDBoUnCe

i made a thread like this earlier this week

http://niketalk.com/topic/201522

I feel ya pain I'm in the same predicament.
it's some ridiculous %#$* bro, because my dad is collecting unemployment now it takes them even longer to review everything which makes nosense because I obviously need the money faster.

my sister looked into it and signed me up for a citibank mtv student platinum card 0% apr first 6 months. I'm only using it until I get my refund thenI'm paying it off in full and cutting it up. Initial credit line of $5,000
eek.gif
tryin to suck me in, but I'm not fallin for that junk.
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by MJ23Forever

it's some ridiculous %#$* bro, because my dad is collecting unemployment now it takes them even longer to review everything which makes no sense because I obviously need the money faster.

my sister looked into it and signed me up for a citibank mtv student platinum card 0% apr first 6 months. I'm only using it until I get my refund then I'm paying it off in full and cutting it up. Initial credit line of $5,000
eek.gif
indifferent.gif

my only thing is a cosigner
I might go the MTV card route and do the same thing your doing but I'm on the fence
It's 5000 no matter what the cosigner's credit looks like?

Originally Posted by MJ23Forever

it's some ridiculous %#$* bro, because my dad is collecting unemployment now it takes them even longer to review everything which makes no sense because I obviously need the money faster.

my sister looked into it and signed me up for a citibank mtv student platinum card 0% apr first 6 months. I'm only using it until I get my refund then I'm paying it off in full and cutting it up. Initial credit line of $5,000
eek.gif
indifferent.gif
at least you have the common sense not to OD on the credit. good for you man
smokin.gif

i dont even know if she had to cosign bro her credit is TERRIBLE from what she did in college, so I doubt she had to.

lol
I might need to get on this
They should have an option to expidite refunds IMO

i agree with you, they should definitely look into which students need it the most and do theirs in advance, these kids whose parents just pay too muchdon't need that money. My financial aid is what I'm living off of; the government is on my side at least.

lol
I knew somebody out there had to know what it felt like
I couldnt be the only one

Spoiled friends reminding you of how hard things are FTL
Most of the ppl I go to school with have self admittedly stated that never worked a hard day in their lives and get by so easily while I bust my hump to get by
But hey life isnt fair, I just roll with the punches
I dont get salty, I do what needs to be done to keep it moving
and this seems like a survivor move right about now

Sorry for the rant lol
and thanx for the MTV card info

BTW I live on campus; can I have them send it on campus and have the billing address off campus or does it have to be one and the same?

lol
I knew somebody out there had to know what it felt like
I couldnt be the only one

Spoiled friends reminding you of how hard things are FTL
Most of the ppl I go to school with have self admittedly stated that never worked a hard day in their lives and get by so easily while I bust my hump to get by
But hey life isnt fair, I just roll with the punches
I dont get salty, I do what needs to be done to keep it moving
and this seems like a survivor move right about now

Sorry for the rant lol
and thanx for the MTV card info

BTW I live on campus; can I have them send it on campus and have the billing address off campus or does it have to be one and the same?
QFT bro, couldn't have said it better myself.

and idk about that dude my sister did it for me without me knowing she just asked me for my social and i gave it to her. I'm sure you can do it tho, mineis gonna come to my house at home and I'm gonna have my dad send it to me at school

One thing that pains me about being a college student...not having enough $$ wish my parents were loaded so I can enjoy my time here. O well, you'll learnsome responsibility through it

i thnk citi cards mtv card is notorious for giving out large credit lines to college students.....thats what i heard but since the economy is down i reallydon't know if they still do

5000 is likely the max they give and it probably goes to people who have a good credit history. Having no credit you likely wont get that amount. You shouldlook into a student loan instead of a credit card. The interest rate will be very low and payments can be deferred until after graduation. Let them know yoursituation and you should be good.

does anyone have that MTV card? they give you bonus points but you have to use it at their store?

I think I'd rather have cashback...any experiences?

Back
Top Bottom